• 1 Post By Fruitemma
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By odizzido

#1 Old 01-26-2016, 03:59 AM

Healthy Cooking Oil

I just started getting into Dr. Gregger and am constantly refering to his site check out if a cetain food item is healthy or not. Recently I started reseraching cooking oils. So my go to was always coconut oil. In my world I thought I had found the golden oil! High heat temp, light taste and apparently cures everyting which of course made me suspicious. And accroding to Gregger, coconut oil is not the glorious oil it claimed to be. My world was crumbling. I used it FOR EVERYTHING!

So cocnut oil was out, olive oil was a no go but I remebered avocado oil!
Yay! But no yay after I went back to Greger's site. Avocado's eay my DNA, acording to his research anyway.

So besides all the unhealthy vegetable oils like canola and corn, what does everyone use as a healthy cooking oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2016, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

I use olive oil. As far as oil goes, it's healthy: plant-based, high in monounsaturated fat. What more could you ask of oil?
#3 Old 01-26-2016, 05:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to xXFiyaTheOneAndOnlyXx
Healthy Cooking Oil

I used olive oil before going oil free. It's not a health food or necessarily healthy but it's certainly the healthiest oil

Vegan and cruelty free. No honey or refined sugar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

What's wrong with canola oil?
#5 Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
What's wrong with canola oil?
Nothing. It is a good high temperature cooking oil with mild flavor.
runnerveggie and no whey jose like this.
#6 Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Why use oil at all? None of them are necessarily healthy. They're just going to add fat to your food. It's very easy to just add water when cooking or get non stick pans. I make everything oil free and never have a problem with it turning out well.
#7 Old 01-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been using canola recently because it has a very good omega3/6 ratio, much better than olive.

Also why use oil? For some thing like pasta it can make a huge difference in flavour. For other things it hardly adds anything at all and you likely won't notice if you skip it.
Fruitemma likes this.
#8 Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitemma View Post
Why use oil at all? None of them are necessarily healthy. They're just going to add fat to your food.
Because our bodies NEED fat and, depending on the oil you're using, such as olive oil, they most definitely ARE healthy.
LedBoots and Rindaloo like this.
#9 Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Because our bodies NEED fat and, depending on the oil you're using, such as olive oil, they most definitely ARE healthy.
Healthy in what ways? I never said that humans don't need fat. I only said that they don't NEED fat from oil.
silva likes this.
#10 Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Vegan since 1991

Whole fatty foods, like nuts and avocados, are healthier than oils extracted from those foods.

For example, walnuts contain healthy fat, and also contain protein, fiber, iron, vitamin B6, and magnesium: https://www.google.com/#q=walnut+nutrition

Walnut oil also contains healthy fat, but unfortunately contains 0% of any of those other nutrients: https://www.google.com/#q=walnut+oil+nutrition

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-26-2016 at 01:07 PM.
#11 Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

The other difficulty with oil is that it's so high in calories. A single tablespoon of oil contains 120 calories. If you start a recipe by pouring some oil into a pot, you could easily be adding 300-400 calories to that meal - this can make it hard to maintain a healthy weight.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#12 Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Or easier to maintain, if you're losing weight :P

I just wanted to add this from another topic on this board to help you lose the notion that canola oil is bad

Quote:
After 15 years of continuing research on canola oil since the latest review by Dupont et al.,2 evidence shows a number of potential health benefits of canola oil consumption (Figure 2). Canola oil can now be regarded as one of the healthiest edible vegetable oils in terms of its biological functions and its ability to aid in reducing disease-related risk factors and improving health. Current research is expected to provide more complete evidence to support the health-promoting effects of canola oil when consumed at levels consistent with dietary guidelines
It's from this thread
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17...vegan-pub.html
no whey jose likes this.
#13 Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Oryzatarian

From that paper you quoted:
Quote:
Funding.
This work was supported by the Canola
Council of Canada and the U.S. Canola Association.
Declaration of interest.
AD is a consultant for the U.S.
Canola Association and Canola Council of Canada. LC is
an employee of the Canola Council of Canada. SDT is an
employee of the Canola Council of Canada. PJHJ has
received funding support from the Canola Council of
Canada
Hello
Those researchers would have ended their careers if they reported anything but benefits from canola oil. The paper is meaningless when taken out of context and if you look at the studies they are quoting its showing benefit relative to people drinking bacon grease, lard, etc. as the alternative to canola oil.
So yes, a salad with a canola oil vinaigrette may be healthier than an egg mcmuffin but that hardly means its healthy.
no whey jose likes this.
#14 Old 01-26-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Quote:
Funding.
This work was supported by the Canola
Council of Canada and the U.S. Canola Association.
Declaration of interest.
AD is a consultant for the U.S.
Canola Association and Canola Council of Canada. LC is
an employee of the Canola Council of Canada. SDT is an
employee of the Canola Council of Canada. PJHJ has
received funding support from the Canola Council of
Canada
Hello
Those researchers would have ended their careers if they reported anything but benefits from canola oil. The paper is meaningless when taken out of context and if you look at the studies they are quoting its showing benefit relative to people drinking bacon grease, lard, etc. as the alternative to canola oil.
So yes, a salad with a canola oil vinaigrette may be healthier than an egg mcmuffin but that hardly means its healthy.
I agree, studies are so often paid for by the companines so they only let out positive news and get rid of any negative studies. The dairy industry does it all the time. Why else would everyone be convinced that milk is required if you want to have calcium for strong bones.
#15 Old 01-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hello
Oh no! Hopes and dreams, dashed. Better put away this wine glass full of canola oil. Why must you ruin everything, @Auxin ? 😂
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#16 Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Oryzatarian

Hey, people do that
I read an old agronomy book once where a farming researcher was exploring east africa in the year 1700. He noted in his description of benny seed (african sesame seed) culture that well-off tribeswomen would drink a full glass of their locally produced sesame seed oil every day to develop a 'pleasantly rounded' backside.
Strange food fads are nothing new
no whey jose likes this.
#17 Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Hey, people do that
I read an old agronomy book once where a farming researcher was exploring east africa in the year 1700. He noted in his description of benny seed (african sesame seed) culture that well-off tribeswomen would drink a full glass of their locally produced sesame seed oil every day to develop a 'pleasantly rounded' backside.
Strange food fads are nothing new
And here I've been trying out all of these glute exercises in the gym while avoiding oil:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Too bad fat doesn't just go where you want it to go.
no whey jose likes this.
#18 Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hello
Yeah I said pretty much exactly the same thing in the other thread, so I already agree 100%. I didn't really read much of that article I linked, I just wanted to say that as oils go canola is pretty good. I thought so before I ever looked at the article as well.
#19 Old 01-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
And here I've been trying out all of these glute exercises in the gym while avoiding oil:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Too bad fat doesn't just go where you want it to go.
haha yeah. Actually while I was biking a bunch during the summer I noticed my butt became quite fine.
#20 Old 01-26-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
haha yeah. Actually while I was biking a bunch during the summer I noticed my butt became quite fine.
hmm. I've actually been thinking about picking up cycling. How often did you cycle and how intense was it?
#21 Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Banned

I use olive oil but occasionally I use coconut oil. It adds a proper flavor to my food.
#22 Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I use olive oil, coconut oil, and sometimes canola oil.
LedBoots likes this.
#23 Old 01-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
hmm. I've actually been thinking about picking up cycling. How often did you cycle and how intense was it?
Probably averaged three times a week. If I went alone I'd do a route that took around 30mins and I'd push myself pretty hard. If I went with others I'd usually go slower but for a longer duration. I did a couple 40-45km ones as well.
#24 Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I use olive oil, coconut oil, and sometimes canola oil.
These plus sesame oil. I tried and liked avocado oil, but it is very expensive.
no whey jose likes this.
#25 Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
These plus sesame oil. I tried and liked avocado oil, but it is very expensive.
I forgot about sesame oil! I basically use that as a flavoring, though.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#26 Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I forgot about sesame oil! I basically use that as a flavoring, though.
Toasted sesame oil is fantastic in stir fry!
LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.
#27 Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't use oil much myself, but on occasion use it for baking or some special dish. I usually use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for those times. I have also used coconut oil and I love the taste but I have a hard time working with it because it solidifies and leaves lumps if I don't bake right away after adding it to stuff. Years ago I used to use an organic canola oil but it was very expensive. Most high quality oils are very expensive.

I am with the camp that says that whole fat sources...whole nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters, peanuts/butter, olives, avocado, coconut etc is healthier because of all the other minerals and fiber retained. But sometimes a really good dish needs a little oil, and I am not going to be so strict I avoid it at all costs.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#28 Old 01-27-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Probably averaged three times a week. If I went alone I'd do a route that took around 30mins and I'd push myself pretty hard. If I went with others I'd usually go slower but for a longer duration. I did a couple 40-45km ones as well.
What kind of bike did you use? I don't have anything fancy at the moment. And was it mistly flat ground or up hill?
#29 Old 01-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What kind of bike did you use? I don't have anything fancy at the moment. And was it mistly flat ground or up hill?
I am not sure what bike TBH :P Nothing special, has a few gears...maybe like 12?

Solo I'd go straight for the hills. With other people it tended to be more flat.
Fruitemma likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page