Ethiopian Food -- Anyone Knowlegeable? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm on an imaginary binge of international foods, lol, after looking at some threads about Mexican and Indian. I had some great Ethiopian food a few times at a little restaurant in Houston, but I wouldn't have a clue about how to prepare any ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If I knew how to make Ethiopian food correctly, I would never leave the house I worked with some Ethiopians when I lived in Philly and was told that the Injera bread requires a special oven
#3 Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 AM

i googled a recipe for injera bread online a while ago, and my mom has successfully made it at home (and we don't have a special oven!). in fact i don't think you use the oven at all? i thought you used a frying pan? kind of like making crepes? k so maybe we don't make it exactly authentic but it tastes close enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Mmm... I had this once in Chicago, good stuff.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#5 Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I got my start making ethiopian food at Kitte's web site: http://pakupaku.info/ethiopian/ethiopianintro.shtml. The stews there are great. I had to adjust her recipe for injera a bit. Here's what I ended up doing:

Injera

Injera, a tangy flatbread made of teff is an essential part of the Ethiopian experience. That said, making it is a fair bit of work and teff isn't cheap, so feel free to eat the stews with crepes, or even just bread.

From what I've read, injera is traditionally made entirely from teff. Both times I have made it, I've added a bit of wheat flour because it makes the batter far easier to work with by giving it more structure.

2 cups teff grain (you can also use teff flour, but I haven't tried it)

4 cups water

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup flour

vegetable oil (olive oil will burn)

Blend the teff with the water on high for at least 5 minutes or until it looks like pancake batter. Put it in a non-reactive bowl (glass is good), cover it with a tea towel, and leave it to ferment for 2 to 3 days. It's ready when it is bubbly and smells tangy, like proper yoghurt. When you are ready to cook it, add 1/2 tsp. salt and the flour. The batter should be the consistency of crepe batter.

Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. (Nonstick doesn't work because it doesn't hold enough heat.) When it's very hot, brush or wipe a small amount of vegetable oil on it. Pour 1/4 cup (a little less than a ladleful with my ladle) of batter and swirl it around like you would crepe batter. You need strong wrists for this as the cast iron is heavy. Oh, and wear an oven mitt -- the handle is hot! Lots of bubbles will form in the surface of the injera. When it starts to look dry and the edges are pulling away from the pan (about a minute), flip the injera and cook it briefly (20 seconds, maybe) on the other side. Remove it to a plate. You will likely want two plates -- one for the injera that don't tear or burn (serve these to your guests), one for the ugly ones (use these for testing the stews for seasoning). Repeat many times. Allow yourself an hour to an hour and a half to make all the injera so you won't have to stress about it. When all the injera are ready, cover the plate with foil and put it in the oven. (The oven doesn't need to be on, it's just a non-drafty place to keep them out of your way.)

Edit: Serves 4. I don't know if it keeps well because it's never been an issue.
#6 Old 08-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

i've never had ethiopean but i'd love to try it
#7 Old 08-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I don'k know anything about the food, but my parents are going to work out there for a year from mid September and I am planning to go over and visit / travel for a couple of weeks
#8 Old 08-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm, looks like you'll need to have Berbere Sauce on hand to make some of the recipes. But I did find this, and in my experience at Ethiopian restaurants, it's

Ethiopian Lentils
#9 Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

MMMMM, Injera.

OregonAmy, do you know of any good veg or veg friendly Ethiopian restaurants in Portland? I'm leaving to go back to school on Wednesday (sob!) but it could come in useful in the future.
#10 Old 08-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, as soon as I get ahold of some teff, I'm making injera I love that stuff! Thanks for the recipe!
#11 Old 08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

MG, my favorite was called Jarra's and it's on Hawthorne (somewhere around 15th & Hawthorne on the SE side). There's another one on NE MLK, but I dont' know how veg-friendly it is. But it's supposed to be portland's best ethiopian place.

In any case, Jarra's makes *the best* lentil dish ever. They have a couple of vegetarian combo-plates that are amazing. Lentils, potatoes, greens... excellent stuff. They put cottage cheese on the plate, but are more than happy to leave it off if you tell them you're vegan. I hope you try it! Oh, and it's run by a husband and wife and they rarely have any waitstaff aside from the husband. So expect the food to be fantastic but the service to be very slow. In other words, go there when you want a leisurely meal

amy
#12 Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, it sounds so good! We're leaving tomorrow night, but maybe we'll have to save a couple hours to get Ethiopian food...I want injera!

Yummy vegan cuisine is a priority when I spend my falls and springs in the culinary wasteland of Vermont.

We're bringing a couple of pizzas from Kalga on the road with us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page