• 2 Post By SteveW
  • 1 Post By jocelyn3113
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By tokyobags
  • 1 Post By River

#1 Old 12-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Beginner

How was Christmas with the Omnivores?

How was your Christmas dinners with omnivores?

Christmas with my carnivore inlaws was actually awesome my father in law is a great cook and he takes the vegetarian thing as a challenge. Everything he made for dinner had the meat on the side so I was able to enjoy all of it!

Christmas at my house was great we just did appitizers I made most of them so they were mainly meat free. And my dad bought me a vegan cookbook for Christmas.

Dinner with my moms family was trying... there was no vegatarian options except potatoes and they made fun of me for bringing my own stuffing. My aunt acted super surprised that I was a vegetarian in spite of me telling her over and over and being at multiple family functions over the past four months together. Le sigh

Overall though fairly successful and entirely meat free
Purp, LedBoots, amira23 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I had veggie burgers while everyone else had turkey, but otherwise all the food was vegan: cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips.
#3 Old 12-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Everything was good. I was really surprised. It was my first holiday gluten free and vegan so I was nervous about how it would go. I'm in the middle of a flare up of my IBD so I ended up going home early Christmas Eve. But it was ok. I was expecting much more of an issue. Sometimes my family can be very accepting and sometimes not so much. I'm guessing part of it was because my brother brought his new boyfriend and family and every body was on their best behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Ankle Biter

We had a very light, non-traditional dinner with my parents last night - tomato soup and chick*n salad sandwiches. Everything was vegan except for the dessert - which was completely fine by me. When my kids come Monday, I'm making vegan Boeuf Bourguignon. They're omni, but I'm a pretty darn good vegan cook, so I'm sure everything will be fine.
Purp, LedBoots, amira23 and 2 others like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 12-26-2015, 12:09 PM
No flesh since 99'

Hubby knows better than to expect me to cook something dead, but he did hint very nicely that he would prefer to not have a raw meal. I did a more 'traditional' vegan xmas dinner:

Gravy (from scratch)
Mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole (from scratch, right down to dehydrating onions for the topping and making my own cream of celery soup since no vegan version is available)
Tofurkey (though I didn't eat too much of it, he has like 3/4 of a tofurkey left ALL for him lol).
Roasted veggies- Just whatever I had laying around that needed to be used

#6 Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Beginner

Glad to hear it went well for everyone! I really wanted to try a field roast, all I could find was tofurkey though and that just didn't look very appetizing.
#7 Old 12-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. @Kiwibird08 , that looks delicious!! I wish I could try that green bean casserole!
mackiesgirl likes this.
#8 Old 12-28-2015, 11:04 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Wow. @Kiwibird08 , that looks delicious!! I wish I could try that green bean casserole!
It was actually better than I remember my old vegetarian casseroles being using store bought cream of celery soup. It was really only the soup that has been an issue making casseroles since I went vegan. I made a huge batch and have several jars in the freezer for upcoming chilly nights I do not feel like raw food
#9 Old 12-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Veggie Recycler

I cooked a tofurky with a good marinade and veggies, made red skin mashed potatoes with fresh dill, vegan onion gravy, and fresh cranberries with maple and orange. My omnivore roommates supplied the red wine, ate every bite, and asked for seconds.

I think in the future if I'm with my mom or sisters and I'll also just cook, or cook half the meal, so that there's never an issue.
LedBoots and mackiesgirl like this.
#10 Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Beginner

To be honest the Christmas dinner was not that different being a vegan, I had a nut roast rather than meat and everybody had onion gravy.

When the extended family came round (Aunties/Uncles etc) I got the usual questions/insults about being vegan, but all in all it's been pretty good.
LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.
#11 Old 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM

I'm looking foreword to experimenting on some new gluten free stuff for Easter. My daughter and I decided against the homemade tofurky this year. The stuffing was gluten free but I wasn't happy with the egg substitute so I have til next holiday to perfect it. Most of the comments were ok I guess. I think they were baffled by all the changes this year, food and extended family included. They didn't know what to say to any of it, so they kept quiet. That's good I guess. But next holiday who knows.
#12 Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Vegan since Nov 29 2015

Location: in the deep South, in the middle of a farming county
I had but two things on my dish, a carrot and beat salad of sorts and the zucchini patties I made. I enjoyed having family around, but it was a wake up call to bring at least two of my 'own' Vegan dishes in the future.
#13 Old 12-29-2015, 09:42 PM

I had rice. The only thing I could eat was rice. Plain white rice. I wasn't allowed to cook because I had to cook all the non-vegan food and mine would be in the way. Thankfully I was able to pick up some Gardein Mandarin Orange Chicken to go with it though. Basically my family made it even clearer that my lifestyle is still an abomination to them and not even Christmas will make it an exception for it. On the bright side family drama was going on to distract the focus from my empty plate.
#14 Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by animals82 View Post
I had rice. The only thing I could eat was rice. Plain white rice. I wasn't allowed to cook because I had to cook all the non-vegan food and mine would be in the way. Thankfully I was able to pick up some Gardein Mandarin Orange Chicken to go with it though. Basically my family made it even clearer that my lifestyle is still an abomination to them and not even Christmas will make it an exception for it. On the bright side family drama was going on to distract the focus from my empty plate.
That would be the day I would cook them food and not cook myself food. I have no problem cooking something for someone that I just throw in the oven but be damned if I'm going to sacrifice my own meal
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#15 Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by animals82 View Post
Sorry you have one of 'those' families too I know how it feels! Mine wouldn't dare come over to our place, as that would mean I would make up my "twigs and lichen tree hugger food" to "ruin" a holiday with (despite me probably being the best cook out of the entire family). They will deliberately add meat to dishes that don't even normally contain it so I can either not eat or have to eat meat (I opt not to eat). So annoying, been going on forever and I've not regretted moving halfway across the country from them (thus not being able to spend holidays around them) one bit!

Just keep your head up, stick to your beliefs and next time if it's YOU who has to do the cooking, you make what YOU want and let their preferences be secondary. Do not sacrifice your own food when your doing all the work!
skinnieminnie likes this.
#16 Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks!
#17 Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Sorry you have one of 'those' families too I know how it feels! Mine wouldn't dare come over to our place, as that would mean I would make up my "twigs and lichen tree hugger food" to "ruin" a holiday with (despite me probably being the best cook out of the entire family). They will deliberately add meat to dishes that don't even normally contain it so I can either not eat or have to eat meat (I opt not to eat). So annoying, been going on forever and I've not regretted moving halfway across the country from them (thus not being able to spend holidays around them) one bit!

Just keep your head up, stick to your beliefs and next time if it's YOU who has to do the cooking, you make what YOU want and let their preferences be secondary. Do not sacrifice your own food when your doing all the work!
I can totally understand how you feel. For a long time, this was what that happen to me too. It too a great deal of perseverance and dedication to finally allow my family to understand the choice i have made to be vegan.

Keep doing what you feel is right, and not let anyone tell you otherwise
Kiwibird08 likes this.

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyobags View Post
I can totally understand how you feel. For a long time, this was what that happen to me too. It too a great deal of perseverance and dedication to finally allow my family to understand the choice i have made to be vegan.

Keep doing what you feel is right, and not let anyone tell you otherwise
Oh it's been 17 years since I first went vegetarian and by this point I am 99.99999% confident my hunting obsessed "it ain't a real meal if it don't have a dead animal in it" mentality family will NEVER accept it. That's ok, I'm just glad I don't have to see them for holidays anymore. Diet isn't the only issue we seriously disagree on, and quite frankly, if they weren't my blood relatives, they are the kind of people I'd never associate with.
#19 Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I spent Christmas with my partner's family, and it was great. We brought pfeffernusse (vegan) and throughout the day. it was just take as your hungry kind of foods as everyone played board games and got shnockered. His mother made vegan like cheesey tart things and baked tofu, plus there were many fruits and veggies, etc. I dare say, I think I faired better with his family that I would have with my own extended family!
skinnieminnie likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#20 Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Easier than Thanksgiving was, by far.

My family doesn't really do the "traditional" Christmas dinner thing -- it's always sandwiches and snack foods at my mother's, and we had pizza at my father's. I got to load up on veggie sandwiches, vegetarian-friendly pizza, veggie tray and dip, and fruits. Fruits galore.

Edit: Also wine.
#21 Old 12-30-2015, 01:50 PM

My family is vegetarian but they are all in South Africa. This year was the first time I didn't really have plans too far in advance. One of my carnivore friend's family invited me for their traditional Christmas breakfast. His mom was super excited to cook me something vegan. She did an amazing job - tofu scramble with black beans, cilantro, tomatoes and jalapeno. It was delicious and everyone else also tried the scramble.
#22 Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I spent my christmas with just my parents. I made cookies and helped my mom make a giant pile of veggies. She also made some sort of meat pie, but 67% of made items were vegan which is not bad since only 33% of attendants were :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page