Fast food french fries - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Chou

#1 Old 12-08-2015, 01:04 AM

Fast food french fries

So I'm vegetarian and sometimes I go to McDonald's or KFC with my friends to have a quick meal (we have a lot of pauses between classes and our country doesn't have lunch breaks and also cafeterias are few and far from where I have my classes), I only order the french fries with sauce or if it's KFC, they have a vegetarian burger that uses a hashbrown, I think, for the patty.

I informed myself from the internet and people say not even french fries are vegetarian because they use natural beef flavouring. What does that mean, what's natural beef flavour actually? Does it even come from a cow?

I also heard that they fry all their products in the same oil (so that would be a good reason to be non-vegetarian), but I currently don't have any proof of that. Have you ever heard about this, is this true?

I also have some ramen noodles that I haven't yet eaten, they are chicken and beef flavoured (my parents sent them to me, but I don't really wanna eat them), I looked at the ingredients and there was nothing to suggest they even have a connection with those animals. I think the flavouring is a mixture of condiments only (considering how cheap that ramen is, I doubt that they would even use real animals for it). So are they vegetarian friendly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Can I ask what country you're in? Fast food fries vary from place to place. For instance, McDonald's fries are vegetarian in the UK but not in the US.

Could you list the ingredients on your ramen noodle package?
#3 Old 12-08-2015, 09:36 AM

I live in Romania. Actually I went to McDonald's today and they told me that their fries are good for people who fast. (We're close to Christmas and fasting began some time ago, so it's completely normal to ask for good for fasting products and they should have some) But I can't be sure, though.

About the ramen, I have another type of ramen, cause I gave my friend the beef flavoured one, but I will list the ingredients on this chicken flavoured one:
Noodles: Wheat flour, edible vegetable oil (contains antioxidant: Butylhydroxinon), salt, acidity regulator (potassium carbonate, sodium carbonate, polyphosphates), thickener (guar gum), vitamin B2 (riboflavin)

Seasoning powder: salt, sugar, flavour enhancener (mono sodium glutamate), artificial chicken flavour powder, yeast extract, onion powder, chilli powder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I couldn't find anything about the fries online, but that ramen looks vegan to me.
#5 Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM

I wouldn't recommend eating at KFC, well in the US atleast. The only two vegan items I know of were the green beans and coleslaw (w/o dressing). Everything is cooked in the same fryer. [[ It was my first job, horrible ]]

Last edited by SandraRen; 12-08-2015 at 06:30 PM.
#6 Old 12-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraRen View Post
I wouldn't recommend eating at KFC, well in the US atleast. The only two vegan items I know of were the green beans and coleslaw. Everything is cooked in the same fryer. [[ It was my first job, horrible ]]
the cole slaw vegan? Doesn't it have mayo?

Mcdonalds fries in the US do have beef fat, but in Canada at least, do not
#7 Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
the cole slaw vegan? Doesn't it have mayo?

Mcdonalds fries in the US do have beef fat, but in Canada at least, do not
Oh yeah the dressing which I totally forgot about!! It's been years, Sorry!!!
#8 Old 12-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
So I'm vegetarian and sometimes I go to McDonald's or KFC with my friends to have a quick meal (we have a lot of pauses between classes and our country doesn't have lunch breaks and also cafeterias are few and far from where I have my classes), I only order the french fries with sauce or if it's KFC, they have a vegetarian burger that uses a hashbrown, I think, for the patty.

I informed myself from the internet and people say not even french fries are vegetarian because they use natural beef flavouring. What does that mean, what's natural beef flavour actually? Does it even come from a cow?

I also heard that they fry all their products in the same oil (so that would be a good reason to be non-vegetarian), but I currently don't have any proof of that. Have you ever heard about this, is this true?

I also have some ramen noodles that I haven't yet eaten, they are chicken and beef flavoured (my parents sent them to me, but I don't really wanna eat them), I looked at the ingredients and there was nothing to suggest they even have a connection with those animals. I think the flavouring is a mixture of condiments only (considering how cheap that ramen is, I doubt that they would even use real animals for it). So are they vegetarian friendly?
The Romanian McDonalds website shows the ingredients for French Fries: http://mcdonalds.ro/ce-mancam/produs...artofi-prajiti

Not bad for a guy who doesn't even speak Romanian!
no whey jose likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#9 Old 12-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post

Here's the Romanian KFC website, showing the ingredients for the potato patty: http://www.kfc.ro/meniu/sandwich-uri/tower-fara-carne

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#10 Old 12-09-2015, 08:30 AM

I didn't think to check online, haha. Cause I don't really trust what they tell me, especially if they are fried in the same oil, just like in the US.
I see now that it depends on country, so I will try to find more answers on Romanian websites about this matter.
Thanks! ^^
no whey jose likes this.
#11 Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Vegan since 1991

Good luck with your researching. I do think it's wonderful than Romanian KFC offers a potato patty burger.

_________

#12 Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Good luck with your researching. I do think it's wonderful than Romanian KFC offers a potato patty burger.
Yes, I also thought that. And it's not for people who fast (which would've been understandable in this time of the year) because it contains cheese, so it's only for vegetarians.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page