oven proof? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 11-25-2015, 08:26 AM

oven proof?

Hello, i lost the box i bought my slow cooker in! I wondered if you know if ant slow cooker pots can go in the oven?

I would like to make this...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...liFLxHiKJJd.97

But i dont have a pot. Dont really want to buy one, but will if the slow cooker pot isnt oven proof.

thank you! x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
You could just as easily use the slow-cooker for it's intended purpose.

I found this... looks to be a very similar ingredient list, n'est pas?

Slow-Cooker Ratatouille
Recipe very slightly adapted from Cook’s Country Aug/Sep 2013

Ingredients
2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 zucchini (about 8 oz each), quartered lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 onions, roughly chopped
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence*
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

If you don’t have any herbs de Provance, you can sub 1 teaspoon each of dried rosemary and dried thyme.

Instructions
Adjust oven rack 4 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. If you have different heat settings available on your broiler, set it to medium. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with foil. In a very large bowl, combine egg plant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, olive oil, sugar, garlic, and herbs de Provence. Toss until combined.

Divide vegetables evenly between prepared sheets and spread into a single layer. Broil, 1 sheet at a time, until vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes (or faster, if your broiler has only one heat setting and it’s super hot!) While the veggies are broiling, turn them a couple times during the cooking process to evenly cook them. Transfer broiled vegetables to slow cooker and add tomatoes.

Stir flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper into vegetables in slow cooker. Cover and cook until veggies are tender, about 4 hours on low. Stir in balsamic vinegar, Parmesan, and basil. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Yields: about 8, 1-cup servings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#3 Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis88 View Post
Hello, i lost the box i bought my slow cooker in! I wondered if you know if ant slow cooker pots can go in the oven?

I would like to make this...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...liFLxHiKJJd.97

But i dont have a pot. Dont really want to buy one, but will if the slow cooker pot isnt oven proof.

thank you! x
That's a stove top recipe!

I don't see why you can't use you slow cooker as a slow cooker.
I will say the amounts used seem quite large. I'm thinking the typical aubergine (eggplant to me) not the slender ones

This recipe is much more straightforward-
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...e-recipe0.html

and this is specifically for slow cookers-
http://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/09/1...atouille-soup/

I wish I could tell you if the crock is oven proof. I gave away my slow cooker and really wanted to keep the crock, but I wasn't sure either.
alexis88 likes this.

#4 Old 11-25-2015, 03:01 PM

thanks guys, looks good, yes will just use the slow cooker then! Whats the main difference between using a slow cooker, and using a dutch oven? Is it the heat?
#5 Old 11-30-2015, 12:46 PM

So I made this today - it's pretty nice but it's a little bitter. Googling seems to tell me I should remove the seeds...

I haven't so is there a way to 'save' it?
#6 Old 11-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis88 View Post
So I made this today - it's pretty nice but it's a little bitter. Googling seems to tell me I should remove the seeds...

I haven't so is there a way to 'save' it?
Can you pinpoint which veg is the bitter?
Many zucchini have bitter skins
Eggplant comes in different forms- theres' the big globe eggplant with a lot of seeds (which i can't see removing and never have) and the Asian ones which are very slender and long. And then there are small ones . Again, the skin can be bitter, but it's often recommended to slice and salt the eggplant, to get out some water, then either just dab it off or rinse. I think that's for bitterness, I don't do it.
I got a white eggplant once. It was unbelievably nasty.
I've had some garlic that was very bitter recently. I don't know what it was, but bigger than the ones I get in the mesh sleeve

I would actually sprinkle a bit of sugar, either white or brown on it, and maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar- or wine vinegar.
Tom likes this.
#7 Old 11-30-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Can you pinpoint which veg is the bitter?
Many zucchini have bitter skins
Eggplant comes in different forms- theres' the big globe eggplant with a lot of seeds (which i can't see removing and never have) and the Asian ones which are very slender and long. And then there are small ones . Again, the skin can be bitter, but it's often recommended to slice and salt the eggplant, to get out some water, then either just dab it off or rinse. I think that's for bitterness, I don't do it.
I got a white eggplant once. It was unbelievably nasty.
I've had some garlic that was very bitter recently. I don't know what it was, but bigger than the ones I get in the mesh sleeve

I would actually sprinkle a bit of sugar, either white or brown on it, and maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar- or wine vinegar.
i think its the aubergine thats bitter (google told me haha) they were the globe ones.

I put in sugar & there is balsamic vinegar in there too.

can couscous taste bitter/metalic at all? maybe it was that...
#8 Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I don't its the couscous...
Really think it's the peels of either/both eggplants or zucchini.
Or why you should salt and let sit the eggplant slices.
Taste the peel by itself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page