• 1 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 2 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88

#1 Old 11-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Question Flaxseed meal?

I'm looking for recipes for pumpkin bread/muffins/cookies/[whatever I can make with some canned pumpkin, Bisquick, raisins, cinnamon], and came across this recipe for pumpkin bread. It calls for "3 Tbsp flaxseed meal and 9 Tbsp water, mixed together and set aside for 1 minute." I've never used flaxseed meal and don't know why it's used in this recipe. Can anyone enlighten me? What if I just omit it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Impeach the gangster

The soaked flaxseed is basically to replace eggs in the recipe. It serves as a binder, and adds texture and flavor. Flaxseed, BTW, is a very healthy food. You should try to get some.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Last edited by Capstan; 11-12-2015 at 03:33 PM.
#3 Old 11-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Flax egg isn't my favorite. I grind as fine as possible in a little coffee grinder, and add to warmish water and let sit. One tablespoon flax (whole) to 3 tablespoons water
I use that in things like potato pancakes. My quick breads just take baking soda and baking powder.

I'm gonna try 'aquafaba'--chickpea jelled liquid-- for egg sub. I just cooked some and let sit in their cooking liquid and it was very egg whitey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
The soaked flaxseed is basically to replace eggs in the recipe. It serves as a binder, and adds texture and flavor.
I believe you can substitute a banana for an egg in baking recipes, so in this case if the flaxseed meal is replacing eggs, can I just mash up a banana and stick that in the batter instead?

Quote:
Flaxseed, BTW, is a very healthy food. You should try to get some.
I've heard that it's healthy, but have just never used it so far. Maybe now's the time!

Thanks for the input, Capstan.
#5 Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
I'm looking for recipes for pumpkin bread/muffins/cookies/[whatever I can make with some canned pumpkin, Bisquick, raisins, cinnamon], and came across this recipe for pumpkin bread. It calls for "3 Tbsp flaxseed meal and 9 Tbsp water, mixed together and set aside for 1 minute." I've never used flaxseed meal and don't know why it's used in this recipe. Can anyone enlighten me? What if I just omit it?
it's an egg re-placer. 1 Tbsp flax seed meal to three Tbsp of water.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I believe you can substitute a banana for an egg in baking recipes, so in this case if the flaxseed meal is replacing eggs, can I just mash up a banana and stick that in the batter instead?

I've heard that it's healthy, but have just never used it so far. Maybe now's the time!

Thanks for the input, Capstan.
i use bananas in baking all the time.

—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 11-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherries View Post
i use bananas in baking all the time.
So in this recipe, since we're deducing that the flaxseed meal is there as a replacement for eggs, if I substitute a banana for the flaxseed meal...what do you think? Or should I just omit it? I'll be using canned pumpkin, so there will be some binding/moisture from it.
#8 Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

The chart below is helpful in determining how to replace eggs (if you even need to):

In regards to the recipe you have there, I would use some sort of egg replacer with it since it is a bread and you want it to rise some. The flaxseed mix will give it more volume. I found this really great explanation of what flaxseed/flaxmeal does for a recipe:

http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/e...d-egg-replacer

That said, I think a starch or other leavener would work too in your recipe, and I believe the bisquick mix has a leavener in it too?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#9 Old 11-13-2015, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
The chart below is helpful in determining how to replace eggs (if you even need to):

In regards to the recipe you have there, I would use some sort of egg replacer with it since it is a bread and you want it to rise some. The flaxseed mix will give it more volume. I found this really great explanation of what flaxseed/flaxmeal does for a recipe:

That said, I think a starch or other leavener would work too in your recipe, and I believe the bisquick mix has a leavener in it too?
I only use flaxseed gloop as a binder. I find it acts more against rising agents like baking powder, and like pumpkin bread, and other quick breads, better without it and just a teaspoon of soda and two of baking powder. The recipe I used that was the same with the addition of flax-egg were just more dense, and didn't bake through as well
VeggieSince88 likes this.
#10 Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Haha, I read through the article you linked and found the part about making flax gel! I tried that in hopes of replicating vegan brownies. Just as the article says, right down to the colander pictured. Not worth the trouble, and it really was trouble.
I'll take my flaxseeds as they are without expectation.
Glad this article is still around to remind of the chickpea goo I froze
#11 Old 11-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I make vegan brownies with a bit of vital wheat gluten added (instead of any egg substitute) - that makes the dense, chewy and moist brownies I like.
VeggieSince88 and Naturebound like this.
#12 Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I just got this in my email, I like the layout of explainations even more-
http://www.ucdintegrativemedicine.co...do-about-eggs/

Veganbrownies. A class all by themselves. Sigh...
#13 Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Okay, so here's my situation. I have baking soda on hand, but not baking powder. I don't particularly care if my pumpkin bread rises--if it's kind of dense, that's fine with me. Given the ingredients I have--Bisquick (original), bananas, baking soda, oil--what do you think my final mix should consist of? I'm voting for a mashed banana in place of the flaxseed meal, but will consider all opinions!
#14 Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
A few egg substitutes & how/when to use 'em....

http://www.theppk.com/vegan-baking-t...shows-you-how/

~ MadamSarcastra
#15 Old 11-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
A few egg substitutes & how/when to use 'em....

http://www.theppk.com/vegan-baking-t...shows-you-how/
Okay--a banana it is!
MadamSarcastra likes this.
#16 Old 11-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Longtime vegetarian

It's in the oven. And it looks, and smells, wonderful! Will post pics later...maybe...if it turns out good.
LedBoots and MadamSarcastra like this.
#17 Old 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Okay, so here's my situation. I have baking soda on hand, but not baking powder. I don't particularly care if my pumpkin bread rises--if it's kind of dense, that's fine with me. Given the ingredients I have--Bisquick (original), bananas, baking soda, oil--what do you think my final mix should consist of? I'm voting for a mashed banana in place of the flaxseed meal, but will consider all opinions!
Bisquick already has baking powder-I think maybe it's broken down into the ingredients that make baking powder. What I don't understand is what makes it different from what they call 'self rising flour?"

I made a pumpkin bread recipe from 1000 vegan recipes--robin robertson. Nothing other than soda and powder. Thing is, pumpkin can be used as a binder - just like bananas, so I don't see why you'd need anything else. Mine came out great! Baked through perfectly, which is why I didn't want to use flax or other goopy stuff- I've had things bake poorly because of too much -- moisture and density? You know, how the middle of a loaf doesnt want to bake.

Here it is-- I made 1 1/2 times the recipe so I could use the whole can of pumpkin--and didn't use cranberries, but walnuts---
http://crumbyvegan.com/?p=1358
#18 Old 11-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Bisquick already has baking powder-I think maybe it's broken down into the ingredients that make baking powder. What I don't understand is what makes it different from what they call 'self rising flour?"
Yeah, I really don't know! I've just always thought of Bisquick as a sort of magical, can-do-it-all product that makes baking certain things easy as pie.

Quote:
I made a pumpkin bread recipe from 1000 vegan recipes--robin robertson. Nothing other than soda and powder. Thing is, pumpkin can be used as a binder - just like bananas, so I don't see why you'd need anything else.
I'm glad I added the banana, because its additional moisture helped make the dough easier to mix (by hand). However...

Quote:
Mine came out great! Baked through perfectly, which is why I didn't want to use flax or other goopy stuff- I've had things bake poorly because of too much -- moisture and density? You know, how the middle of a loaf doesnt want to bake.
That. ^^ The outer parts are great, but inside it's a little on the wet/unbaked side. (A knife inserted came out clean, however.)

Quote:
Here it is-- I made 1 1/2 times the recipe so I could use the whole can of pumpkin--and didn't use cranberries, but walnuts---
http://crumbyvegan.com/?p=1358
That's funny--I doubled the recipe I used because I wanted to use a whole can of pumpkin. It was 15oz and the recipe called for 8, so I just went ahead and doubled the other ingredients (don't forget about the banana!).

For the first time--ever--making pumpkin bread, I think this turned out pretty good. Oh, I used half golden raisins and half chopped dates. It didn't rise a lot, but it tastes good.
silva, LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.
#19 Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

That's funny--I doubled the recipe I used because I wanted to use a whole can of pumpkin. It was 15oz and the recipe called for 8, so I just went ahead and doubled the other ingredients (don't forget about the banana!).

For the first time--ever--making pumpkin bread, I think this turned out pretty good. Oh, I used half golden raisins and half chopped dates. It didn't rise a lot, but it tastes good.
That's interesting, because I always though a 15 oz can was two cups-so I measured, and came up with 1.5 cups. I just did a search and it does show 2 cups! It cooked great, but I wondered why it tasted so much more 'pumpkin-y' than it did before!
I wonder how it would be if I had doubled everything!
#20 Old 11-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
That's interesting, because I always though a 15 oz can was two cups-so I measured, and came up with 1.5 cups. I just did a search and it does show 2 cups! It cooked great, but I wondered why it tasted so much more 'pumpkin-y' than it did before!
I wonder how it would be if I had doubled everything!
I don't know!

I will say that mine has a distinct pumpkin-y taste, much stronger than I'd expected, and definitely stronger than other pumpkin breads (whether store bought or home-baked) I've had in the past.

The main thing this did for me was further remind me of how much I really like cooking/baking. It sounds like such a little thing, but I've ventured away from doing much 'from scratch' cooking for a long time now, partly due to health problems, partly due to being alone most of the time, partly due to laziness, etc. Just recently I've had kind of a...I don't know how to word it, just a resurgence of feelings about wanting to really cook/bake again, and I've been doing that! Even getting to the point of printing out a recipe was a big step, but actually following through and DOING IT was amazing. And I LOVE the way the house smells!
Naturebound likes this.
#21 Old 11-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I agree.

—Henry David Thoreau
My site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page