Cheesecake! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

#1 Old 11-01-2015, 06:02 AM

Cheesecake!

I just happen to love cheesecake...

I have to watch out my calories, so I go with fast and easy...all ingrediants are therefore low fat. For the base Digistive and butter. For the filling sour cream and cream cheese with lime/lemon juice. And I use gelatine to make it thick, so there ain't need for eggs and oven. Just let it rest in the fridge for few hours.

What is your favourite cheesecake and how do you make it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Gelatine isn't vegetarian... 😬

My favourite cheesecakes are either Daiya brand (which you bake in the oven, then chill) or raw cakes made with blended nuts and fruit.
#3 Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 AM

Gelatin?? Yikes!

My son makes vegan cheesecake that rivals the best cheesecake made with cream cheese, eggs, etc. I don't know how he does it, but it's the best I've ever had.
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that Many candies also include that...
#5 Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

In place of gelatin, try using agar flakes or powder. It can be found in Asian sections of groceries or health food stores.

If I am going to eat something like cheesecake, I see no point in going for lowfat/low calorie lol. That said, I am not a fan of cheesecake (vegan or otherwise) but I LOVE raw cashew cream tarts. they have very few ingredients involved and are rich and satisfying. Here are two I have made:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cashew Cream Raspberry Tart with Almonds and Pecan Date Crust.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	12449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw Cashew Cream Tart Sept 2012 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	12457  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 11-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly View Post
Gelatin?? Yikes!
Lemon curd is the easiest and the most delicious way to replace gelatine

#7 Old 11-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

You might notice significant resistance to using gelatin in foods as this is a vegetarian forum. Some vegetarians do eat gelatin, but many prefer to avoid it since it is a byproduct of slaughter.

I love the new Daiya cheesecakes -- my spouse is lacto-ovo vegetarian and thinks they are awesome too. So far I have tried the new york style and the key lime, and both are excellent -- very cream, and authentic flavor (not overly sweet or artificial tasting).
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#8 Old 11-01-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
You might notice significant resistance to using gelatin in foods as this is a vegetarian forum.
Yes, that is very understandable. Luckily the are options for that, like agar, which was already mentioned here. And you can make your own lemon curd, but that requires eggs.
#9 Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Lemon curd can easily be made without eggs (although this being the vegetarian section would be fine) but either way isn't going to replace gelatin. Jelling is a process that would jel liquid, curd just thins out.
1/4 c. cold water
1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch
Wisk together in saucepan, bring to a boil, turn down heat and when it starts to thicken stir for another minute while slow simmer. Pour into a glass bowl and add lemon juice and zest.
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (opt.)
Pinch of salt

Cornstarch, pectin, locust bean gum, arrowroot, agar, tapioca starch are all things that jel in different ways.
#10 Old 11-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I want daiya cheesecake so badly now!
I did just buy Trader Joes vegan creme cheese so maybe I'll do it myself....
BlueSatin likes this.
#11 Old 11-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Lemon curd can easily be made without eggs (although this being the vegetarian section would be fine) but either way isn't going to replace gelatin. Jelling is a process that would jel liquid, curd just thins out.
1/4 c. cold water
1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch
Wisk together in saucepan, bring to a boil, turn down heat and when it starts to thicken stir for another minute while slow simmer. Pour into a glass bowl and add lemon juice and zest.
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (opt.)
Pinch of salt

Cornstarch, pectin, locust bean gum, arrowroot, agar, tapioca starch are all things that jel in different ways.
Thank you silva, very much appreciated
#12 Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

The only problem with Daiya cheesecake is their idea of a serving. I've never eaten less than the entire cake in one go. They're so tiny!
#13 Old 11-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Eating gelatin and calling yourself a vegetarian is like worshipping Satan and calling yourself a Christian. IOW, if you eat gelatin, you're not a vegetarian. Period.
#14 Old 11-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The only problem with Daiya cheesecake is their idea of a serving. I've never eaten less than the entire cake in one go. They're so tiny!
It's true they are small. I cut them into 6 pieces and really savor it. The new york style I'll have with sliced strawberries, or pecans, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup. The key lime was great with so delicious cocowhip. But I do think the price ($5.99) is pretty reasonable even considering the size.
#15 Old 11-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
It's true they are small. I cut them into 6 pieces and really savor it. The new york style I'll have with sliced strawberries, or pecans, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup. The key lime was great with so delicious cocowhip. But I do think the price ($5.99) is pretty reasonable even considering the size.
The Key lime cheezecake is so good! It's the only cheezecake I have eaten since going vegan. I'm a Florida girl so am very picky about my Key lime desserts, and Daiya nailed the tanginess/sweetness perfectly.
no whey jose likes this.
#16 Old 11-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Cheesecake!

I've yet to find the key lime.
I've had good luck with making my own with Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream. I should try to flavor it with lime next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#17 Old 11-02-2015, 04:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
I've yet to find the key lime.
I've had good luck with making my own with Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream. I should try to flavor it with lime next time.

I can't find any of their cheesecakes where I live! The stores here have only just started carrying Daiya commercial vegan pizzas which I haven't tried yet. I did see a Daiya cheesecake when I was in a far away city checking out their Whole Foods Coop. I am afraid to try my own vegan cheesecake lol. I'm not a huge fan of cheesecakes anyway, but my husband would die for a cheesecake, but he also has high standards for it. He seems to like Daiya cheese shreds though, and he likes Tofutti cream cheese so maybe there is hope!
karenlovessnow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 11-02-2015, 06:10 AM
The prowling wolf

I have no recipe but I side with Naturebound about the raw cashew cheesecake, I've never had a more delicious cheesecake in my life!

Fresh, zingy and healthy to. I can't think of anything much better. Really I recommend you all give it a go
BlueSatin likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#19 Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
I have no recipe but I side with Naturebound about the raw cashew cheesecake, I've never had a more delicious cheesecake in my life!

Fresh, zingy and healthy to. I can't think of anything much better. Really I recommend you all give it a go
I agree, once you try, you'll get wiser.
Strawberry cheesecake has always been my favourite nro 1, so I'm gonna try this one,
http://paleogrubs.com/strawberry-cheesecake-recipe

Last edited by BlueSatin; 11-02-2015 at 01:45 PM.
#20 Old 11-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Even the thought of so much sugar makes me feel oogy.... LMAO

However, you crazy kids might wanna give these a look-see:

13 vegan cheesecake recipes! ----> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6812052.html

~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 11-03-2015 at 10:54 AM.
#21 Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Just yum to everything in that link!

I'm actually going to make a pumpkin cheesecake as soon as this unseasonably warm weather takes a hike! It's ruining my Autumn.

MadamSarcastra likes this.
#22 Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:

My favourite cheesecakes are either Daiya brand (which you bake in the oven, then chill) or raw cakes made with blended nuts and fruit.
What in cheese cake has geletine?
#23 Old 11-11-2015, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVegi View Post
What in cheese cake has geletine?
She was referring to the original post where BlueSatin mentions using gelatin in place of eggs/dairy to thicken cheesecake.
no whey jose and BlueSatin like this.

#24 Old 11-11-2015, 06:26 PM

Cheesecake is my weakness.....
BlueSatin likes this.
#25 Old 11-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSatin View Post
And I use gelatine to make it thick, so there ain't need for eggs and oven.
In my opinion, it'd be better to use eggs--which at least don't involve slaughtering animals [initially, anyway]--rather than using gelatin...and saying you're vegetarian. To be perfectly frank, I'm offended seeing gelatin included as an ingredient on VB.
#26 Old 11-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
In my opinion, it'd be better to use eggs--which at least don't involve slaughtering animals [initially, anyway]--rather than using gelatin...and saying you're vegetarian. To be perfectly frank, I'm offended seeing gelatin included as an ingredient on VB.
There is a lot to substitute for gelatin in cooking-agar is a direct sub, but there are a variety of starchs and pectins that do the job.
However--to compare it to eggs I find offensive. Sure, 'theoretically'', you can walk behind a hen and grab an egg and no one gets hurt, but realistically, there's far more pain and suffering for the hens, imprisoned in ammonia filled air, and death to the billions of chicks every day.
Gelatin is a by product of slaughter already committed. If the meat industry goes down, there will be no more unneeded gelatin in literally everything, because it something that gets thrown away. Eggs on the other hand are a commodity

AND, what do think the glues holding your man-made shoes is? A product made from the same by products as gelatin.
BlueSatin likes this.
#27 Old 11-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I'm more ok ethically with using gelatin than dairy or eggs.
BlueSatin likes this.
#28 Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Honestly, I'm more ok ethically with using gelatin than dairy or eggs.
Then you're not vegetarian! So you might as well eat meat because there's ZERO difference between one product of slaughter, gelatin, and another, meat.

Quote:
AND, what do think the glues holding your man-made shoes is? A product made from the same by products as gelatin.
Please tell me which brands of vegan shoes use animal-based glue. Thanks!
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#29 Old 11-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Then you're not vegetarian! So you might as well eat meat because there's ZERO difference between one product of slaughter, gelatin, and another, meat
I do refrain from gelatin, and I didn't mean to imply I think it's ok for anyone calling themselves veg'n. I do think in the larger picture that it's far more ethical than dairy or eggs. It's production is an effect of the meat industry, not a product in and of itself, like dairy and eggs

Quote:
Please tell me which brands of vegan shoes use animal-based glue. Thanks!
I didn't say vegan shoes. I said of man-made materials, which is what most people who shun animal products accept.
VeggieSince88 and BlueSatin like this.
#30 Old 11-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly View Post
Eating gelatin and calling yourself a vegetarian is like worshipping Satan and calling yourself a Christian. IOW, if you eat gelatin, you're not a vegetarian. Period.
Agreed.

It's like saying that refried beans that contain lard are vegetarian, or a soup that contains meat stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page