Nutritional Yeast vs Brewer's yeast - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Today i went to my friendly neighborhood Kroger in the hopes of finding nutritional yeast. All I found was brewer's yeast. it was in the health section so i figured that may have been what i was looking for, but i figured i'd ask you wonderful people first to make sure. Is there a differnce? Or are they the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

There is a difference. I had the same dilemma! I found nu. yeast as savoury yeast flakes. Brewer's yeast is a live yeast, nu. yeast is inactive... someone else should be able to give you better info but they are different.
#3 Old 04-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Brewer's yeast is not a good source of B12. Don't buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

nutritional yeast is only a good source of b12 if it is fortified with it.
#5 Old 04-22-2003, 10:58 PM

Nutritional yeast can make yummy vegan cheeses...brewer's yeast can't. I've also noticed that the amino acid content and B vitamin content is higher in nutritional yeast than brewer's yeast.
#6 Old 04-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

brewer's yeast tastes nasty, IMO. i wouldn't buy it.
#7 Old 04-23-2003, 12:48 AM

would nutritional yeast serve the same purpous for bread making out of curiosity?
#8 Old 04-23-2003, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

nope. nutr. yeast is dead AFAIK. (not dormant, like active dry yeast)

but you can make bread with brewer's yeast and "beer" with bread yeast. but to use every yeast for its purpose is best, b/c the strains are specifically selected for their resp. purpose. i.e. bread yeast creates a lot of co2 and little alcohol. it makes nasty beer because of off-flavors. beer yeast creates a pretty much exact amount of alcohol, and several different desirable flavors, etc.
#9 Old 04-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh Brewer's Yeast!! Ewwww!!! Nasty tasting stuff.

(I've got goosebumps just thinking about it)
#10 Old 04-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Veggie Regular

lol- thanks for the tips, it was worse than I thought- I guess the search for nutritional yeast continues...
#11 Old 04-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's what I have learned about nutritional yeast...this is copied and pasted from another message board I belong to. I don't have much info on brewers yeast.

It has been confusing to me in the past, and now I think I understand a lot more about nutritional yeast. This comes from "The Uncheese Cookbook" by Joanne Stepaniak.

Nutritional yeast, saccharomyces cerevisaie, is a natural whole plant grown as a food crop. It is prized for its delicious, cheesy taste and high nutritional content. It is a reliable source of high-quality, easily assimilated protien and is the formost natural shource of B-complex vitamins. It is easy to recognize because of its yellow color which ranges from light tan to bright gold. It is an inactive yeast which means it has no fermenting power as does the live yeast used in leavening and brewing, rendering it more digestible. Nutritional yeast is NOT dried torula, a yeast like organism which is grown on waste products from the wood pulp industry, nor is it brewers yeast or baking yeast. None of these products should ever be substituted in recipes calling for nutritional yeast.

Some brands of nutritional yeast have been combined with WHEY, a by product of cheese processing. Pure nutrional yeast does not contain whey or other dairy products, so read the product labels carefully.

When kept in a cool dry place, the physical characteristics and nutritive values of nutritional yeast remain unchanged for long periods.

Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula is one good brand to look for. It's not available at any of the places that I shop, so I've found a suitable replacement. I used to get mine out of the bulk bins at my local co-op but then I learned that it wasn't supplying nearly the same nutritional value as the kind meant for vegetarian support. I've also run into the kind that is made with whey, so you really do have to be careful.

The kind that I buy is from a company called "KAL" It comes in a big yellow canister, similar to a coffee tin. It was less than $7.00 for 12 oz (by weight). I found it in the supplements section of Whole Foods, near the rest of the vegetarian and B-12 stuff - on the lowest shelf because of the size of the canister I suppose.

It says on the package that it is grown on molassas.

I use mine in tofu scramble, I sprinkle it on veggies, I sprinkle it on toast, popcorn, pasta, rice, etc. The cookbook I mentioned above is really helpful too.

According to the package, a serving is one scoop...the scoop looks like it's about a quarter cup?? I'm not certian though. One scoop provides (here's only a sample of a few nutritional values)

130% of B12

480% of B6

60% of Folic acid

640% of B1

570% of B2

and the list goes on and on!!

Whew! Hopefully I've answered some of your questions!

Good luck!

-Sally

PS...this company has a website and they sell the Red Star vegetarian support online.

http://www.chreese.com/index.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page