Does it matter if it's Organic or not? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 09-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Happy Veggie

Does it matter if it's Organic or not?

Hello Veggies!
So I'm a vegetarian going on vegan (veggie for 11 months) and I was wondering if it matters or not if I get organic food or does it not matter? what's the difference between them?
xox Kaitlyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't care much about organic or not because organic is always at a higher price and my single mom budget is tight. Organic is not really healthier, your fruit will have same nutrients organic or not, but organic will have an impact on the planet, since they strive for water and soil conservation, natural fertilizers, crop rotation etc. If you have the budget, go organic for the planet, if not, well normal is ok for your health.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#3 Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
I don't care much about organic or not because organic is always at a higher price and my single mom budget is tight. Organic is not really healthier, your fruit will have same nutrients organic or not, but organic will have an impact on the planet, since they strive for water and soil conservation, natural fertilizers, crop rotation etc. If you have the budget, go organic for the planet, if not, well normal is ok for your health.
Okay thank you very much I buy my own food with my allowance because my family only buys what everyone wants if I want it i gotta buy it I'll try to get organic though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't buy organic -- there is no evidence that it is safer or healthier for you, and the arguments for any environmental benefits are weakening (for example, this opinion article: http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...rganic-farming). I don't like to pay more for a product that isn't better.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#5 Old 09-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Organic food doesn't use any unnatural products in the making of it.
Organic food has shown to have about the same nutritional value as conventional and there's not really much difference in environmental impact. But it's up to you. Do your own research.
#6 Old 09-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I use both organic and conventional with a few exceptions. Produce with skins like apple, cucumber, mango etc I try to buy organic (and fortunately I have my own apple tree) if I can only because I am uncomfortable with the shellac that is applied to a lot of conventional produce, which is derived from bugs. The thought of millions of bugs being bred and slaughtered to make a product (shellac has many industrial uses) is sobering. Though I am also aware that many organic growers use fish bones/meal and other animal derivatives to grow produce in. It's impossible to avoid all of it, but the shellac is fairly obvious (usually it is listed on conventional produce but not always).

Stuff like strawberries I also buy organic. I remember some time ago watching a documentary on conventional strawberry harvest and the workers picking the strawberries had to wear gloves and masks because the pesticides were so strong they would burn their skin otherwise. I don't know if that sort of thing still goes on but I wouldn't be surprised.

After growing your own garden of produce, when you do buy it from the store and eat it, it seems so tasteless and bland. I have had better luck at farmers markets with produce being more ripe and so on.

I would recommend no matter where you get your food, wash and prepare it well.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I am somewhat "poverty stricken" at the moment and I really am frugal. I don't use organic unless it is somehow the same price as commercial food. I do grow quite a bit of vegetables over the year though. Those I grow "organically" with no pesticides, no chemical fertilizers.

"Organic" means commercially produced food, but it is food produced on certified organic plots (plots of land that have not been chemically compromised) and the food is also not sprayed with insecticides or growth hormones or chemical fertilizers.
#8 Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM

I buy from a local organic farm. I have to say the food tastes a lot better. But you can only do what's right and doable for you.
#9 Old 10-06-2015, 04:13 AM

I tried both. I must agree that organic usually tastes better, but the difference is not that significant. Moreover, there is no difference in impact on your health, healthy food, fruit, vegetables will be healthy anyway. Taking to account that organic food is much more expensive, I suppose it is mostly just about business.

J.J.Harper from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Hi I prefer organic due to pesticide exposure and more nutrients/antioxidants. I'll let you judge but here some videos with some studies to consider;

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-...c-foods-safer/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-...re-nutritious/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-...-or-overrated/

Love yourself and be awake -
today, tomorrow, always.
First establish yourself in the way,
then teach others,
and so defeat sorrow.
To straighten the crooked
you must first do a harder thing -
straighten yourself.
You are the only master. Who else?
Subdue yourself,
and discover your master.

Last edited by Vegan_man; 10-08-2015 at 10:32 AM.
#11 Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Youu only buy organic if u plan to eat the skin. Otherwise fruits such as bananas and oranges are fine.

Venusvegan.wordpress.com
#12 Old 10-09-2015, 09:58 AM

Erm, I would always say yes as it tastes better and is more nutritious. If cost is prohibitive then you can wash up to 100% of pesticide residue off using these techniques

I hope this helps ?

Tags
does it matter? , food , organic , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page