4Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By jocelyn3113

#1 Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Beginner

Thumbs up Thanksgiving 2015

Hi guys!
It's my first vegetarian thanksgiving (and I am Canadian so it is coming fast). I am quite excited and I want to know;

How did you get through your first vegetarian holiday?

What are some great vegetarian recipes to share with your omnivore family?

Are there any fake turkey alternatives a newb vegetarian would actually enjoy?

Do you have any cute turkey videos/pictures to help remind us (me) why we are doing this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofurky!
http://www.tofurky.com/tofurkyproduc..._products.html

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#3 Old 09-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
How did you get through your first vegetarian holiday?
Oh my goodness...it was, well, INTERESTING! We were still pretty new to the whole vegetarian thing, only about 3 months in by Thanksgiving, and I remember in the days prior looking at each other like, "WTF are we going to eat?! " I look back on that fondly now, but it was quite daunting at the time. I think we went with dishes that were formerly side dishes, like stuffing [sans the dead animal parts, of course], sweet potatoes, real cranberry sauce, and I'm not sure what else. But it was 27 years ago, so there you go!

Quote:
What are some great vegetarian recipes to share with your omnivore family?
See above. Basically anything that can be turned into a vegan/vegetarian dish simply by eliminating the animal products and replacing them with vegan/vegetarian alternatives. For example, if you usually make stuffing with chicken broth, use vegetable broth in its place. NO ONE will know the difference. Instead of trying to spring new, possibly 'weird' dishes on the family, I strongly recommend sticking to tried and true dishes--just make them cruelty-free.

Quote:
Are there any fake turkey alternatives a newb vegetarian would actually enjoy?
As another person noted, Tofurky definitely comes to mind. But here on the boards yesterday I saw a reference to something I wasn't familiar with, and after looking over its products I'm keen to try some; it's Field Roast, and they have a YUMMY looking Celebration Roast with Stuffing and Gravy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2015, 03:21 AM
The prowling wolf

Things I can think of at the tip of a hat:

-Mashed potatoes with caramalized onion gravy is always a hit here
-Pumpkin pie or pumpkin soup
-Corn chowder as a starter
-Cranberry sauce and roasted brussels sprouts
-Nut loaf or tofurkey if you want a centrepiece, though I recommend a savoury pumpkin pie as well
-Roasted vegetables like parsnips, carrots and sweet potatoes

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#5 Old 09-26-2015, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have found that omnivores tend to enjoy vegan/vegetarian dishes that do not try to imitate meat/dairy dishes more. That's just my experience. My first few vegan Thanksgivings I made all my own food and brought it to relatives to visit. Fortunately on my side of the family we have an all vegan Thanksgiving now and other holidays, but on my husband's side they are all omnivores so I just bring my own stuff and share it with them too. I really have a hard time staring at the dead bird on their table, but I don't make a scene about it.

Some favorite dishes I like to bring/make:

I make my own cold wild rice salad. I make a batch of wild rice and let it cool, then add onion, celery, walnuts/pecans, dried cranberries, chopped apple, and then add in some maple syrup and cinammon and rub it all in. I brought this to a potluck at work and people loved it!

I like this recipe that uses beans mashed into potatoes as it makes a thicker richer mashed potato: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/08/hig...shed-potatoes/

Corn souffle. there are a ton of vegan/vegetarian recipes online

cornbread

raw apple/cranberry relish

Homemade bread or rolls.

Sweet potato mashed with either pineapple or canned coconut milk (omnivores LOVE this dish!)

Kale salad with lemon juice, avocado pesto, and black pepper

roasted carrots, onion, brussel sprouts with maple/mustard marinade

some desserts:

sweet potato pie
Here is an easy recipe for this that doesn't use weird ingredients: https://michigan.doortodoororganics...._coconut_cream

apple pie tart or apple crisp

banana bread

My ultimate favorite cake to make is a vegan coconut bundt cake. this recipe has never failed me: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/...zed-vegan.html

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 09-26-2015, 06:05 AM
No flesh since 99'

I lived for years at holidays just grazing on the non-meat side dishes. I never was in love with real turkey let alone tofurkey and just preferred (and still do) side dishes. Now it's just me and my husband for holidays and he's 100% fine with veg/vegan food so I make whatever (usually still just side dishes, they actually make for a really awesome meal lol).

Some good easy dishes to make would be:

-Traditional green bean casserole (VEGETARIAN DISH, NOT VEGAN): 1 Can cream of mushroom soup, 2 cans green beans (drained), 1 mini can of mushrooms, drained and crushed french fried onions. Basically you just mix up the green beans, mushrooms and soup, pour in a 8X8 baker, add the crushed onions on top and heat in the oven at 350 until the onions start turning golden brown on top. (You may be able to find/make a vegan cream of mushroom soup to make this a vegan dish). I've never met anyone, veg or omni who didn't go nuts over this casserole.

- Mashed potatoes with butter and cream cheese (can easily substitute vegan butter/cream cheese).

-Most pies/baked goods are vegetarian, most can easily be converted to vegan using vegan dairy and egg replacers

-Make a side of vegan stuffing using vegetable broth (no need to shove it in a dead corpse, just make the stuffing completely separate)

-Cranberry sauce is vegan

-Breads like banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread ext...
#7 Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Oh lots of great ideas guys! Definitely going to try out the green bean casserole and the protien potatoes, may even try some sweet potato pie I like to try things we do not do here in Canada and that is one of them. Its an actual pie like a dessert? Is it like Pumpkin?
#8 Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, sweet potato pie is like pumpkin pie.

I make all the traditional dishes, just w/o the animal products, including the traditional green bean casserole, which I make from scratch instead of using canned mushroom soup.

Last year, my sister bought a Tofurkey roast, but I personally don't find it necessary, with the number of casseroles, vegetables, pies, etc.

This is my standard Thanksgiving menu: stuffing made with mushrooms, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, green bean casserole, red cabbage, carrots, corn, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie, chocolate pecan pie.
#9 Old 09-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Vegan since 1991

It hasn't been a problem. I usually bring a pasta dish (who doesn't like pasta?), and I eat the salad and vegetables.
LedBoots and jocelyn3113 like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#10 Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
Oh lots of great ideas guys! Definitely going to try out the green bean casserole and the protien potatoes, may even try some sweet potato pie I like to try things we do not do here in Canada and that is one of them. Its an actual pie like a dessert? Is it like Pumpkin?
Like pumpkin but even better. I use a bit of maple syrup in mine, tip of the hat to Canada there!
jocelyn3113 likes this.
#11 Old 09-26-2015, 08:12 PM

I generally just "veganize" the standards sides and for our "turkey" I put a layer of veggie burgers in a casserole dish (a "chicken" type or vegetable based one, not one that is trying to resemble beef) followed by a bunch of stuffing (I use bread, apples, celery, onions, sometimes cranberries and spices) and topped with another layer of veggie burgers. I then pour vegetable stock on it and bake it. It works well as a substitute with some stuffing and you can pour gravy on top (I usually make a mushroom gravy).
#12 Old 09-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I checked Youtube for sweet potato pie recipes, it really look delicious, I'll make one pumpkin and one sweet potato for thanksgiving and will see which one my family prefers (with maple syrup of course, I'm french-canadian lol). I'm a huge fan of pumpkin though, pumpkin in everything actually, muffins, cookies, smoothies.

Searching for sweet potato pie had me discover how to make sweet potato roti, so thanks for this thread lol.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#13 Old 09-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
I checked Youtube for sweet potato pie recipes, it really look delicious, I'll make one pumpkin and one sweet potato for thanksgiving and will see which one my family prefers (with maple syrup of course, I'm french-canadian lol). I'm a huge fan of pumpkin though, pumpkin in everything actually, muffins, cookies, smoothies.

Searching for sweet potato pie had me discover how to make sweet potato roti, so thanks for this thread lol.
We need a thread just for sweet potato dishes because I have many to share! Sweet potato pancakes, chickpea/sweet potato soup, sweet potato "cheese" and lasagna, sweet potato cookies and bars and biscuits, sweet potato fries, sweet potato black bean burritos, sweet potato kale curry...

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 09-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

We need a thread just for sweet potato dishes because I have many to share! Sweet potato pancakes, chickpea/sweet potato soup, sweet potato "cheese" and lasagna, sweet potato cookies and bars and biscuits, sweet potato fries, sweet potato black bean burritos, sweet potato kale curry...
Starving now!
Naturebound likes this.
#15 Old 09-28-2015, 02:58 PM

I have no idea about the right food for an American/ Canadian holiday. But from my experience with cooking vegan I'd say that offering a lot of different dishes is key. Like different vegetables using different spices, consistencies, maybe temperature in different bowls. Those different options make the meal festive, - at least in my experience.

Tags
holiday , omnivore , thanksgiving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page