6Likes
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Danny Boy
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Smileyface3364

#1 Old 08-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

Seasonal September Fruit

I have been doing some research on seasonable fruit and vegetables and found that Blackberries, plums, blueberries are best eaten in September.

If you want to read about why you should be eating them, read here!

http://www.collatedstyle.com/home/wh...t-in-september

What other seasonal fruit and veg do you know of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Son of Jupiter

Send a message via Skype™ to Linky
Nice blog you've got there.

I didn't know that blueberries were best eaten in September....looks like I'll be buying up some fair trade blueberries tomorrow.

Lychee fruit is supposed to be in season right now (Going by what I've read). If you haven't tried some yet, I'd highly recommend picking some up.
#3 Old 08-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Vegan Fashion blogger

Thanks, I will add that to the September issue! If you have any ideas about what you want to know more about, I am happy to research it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Apples! Yay! At least in North America... Apple picking is my favorite fall thing!
Purp, Naturebound and Kiwibird08 like this.
#5 Old 08-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Here in Texas we are still getting local peaches, plums, cantaloupe and water melons.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 08-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Wild blueberries and raspberries are huge right now up here! I have been seeing them all over in the woods and lots of people out berry picking. Apples are also a big deal in late September/early October. We have our own apple tree and they are usually ready for picking in late September. I just bought lots of plums for my morning snacks this coming week. They are abundant in the stores right now!
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

Thanks so much for those. I will do some more research into the benefits. I would love to go apple picking...sounds like a great day date!
#8 Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 PM

Whats big where I live is apples and peaches. We still have corn and some tomatoes. The vining plants are ripening up too, like the cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins/gourds (although most come in October). I guess peas and lettuce count too? They prefer cooler temperatures. In my garden, I'm still getting the occasional strawberry and green bean. I actually have green beans from March that are still producing. My blackberries haven't ripened yet and my cauliflower isn't done, so I guess that isn't going to ripen before our first frost. Potatoes and carrots can stay in the ground until the first frost.

Plenty can come in the fall, but I guess when you come from colder climates, its most stuff.
Naturebound likes this.
#9 Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I think it depends where you are what is in season. Here in Florida, we have tomatoes in December, and are raking in the melons and avocados now.
#10 Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface3364 View Post
Whats big where I live is apples and peaches. We still have corn and some tomatoes. The vining plants are ripening up too, like the cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins/gourds (although most come in October). I guess peas and lettuce count too? They prefer cooler temperatures. In my garden, I'm still getting the occasional strawberry and green bean. I actually have green beans from March that are still producing. My blackberries haven't ripened yet and my cauliflower isn't done, so I guess that isn't going to ripen before our first frost. Potatoes and carrots can stay in the ground until the first frost.

Plenty can come in the fall, but I guess when you come from colder climates, its most stuff.
Off topic, but how do you get cauliflower to grow! I have been growing it in my garden since the beginning of June but so far have only gotten tall plants with lots of leaves. :/ This is the first year I have tried cauliflower and it's been disappointing. My collards are doing wonderfully, as are the tomatoes, beets, and onions. I live in the north central part of the USA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 PM

If you're in the UK get picking those blackberries! they're loads of them :P
#12 Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Off topic, but how do you get cauliflower to grow! I have been growing it in my garden since the beginning of June but so far have only gotten tall plants with lots of leaves. :/ This is the first year I have tried cauliflower and it's been disappointing. My collards are doing wonderfully, as are the tomatoes, beets, and onions. I live in the north central part of the USA.
All of this season, I've just gotten leaves, but in the middle if I look at the center, there are very small heads. They will probably grow a bit more, but not to their full size. I've grown it in years past and it matured at the same time as the broccoli. I moved and this is the first time I have grown it in this new location. I have deduced the reasoning to its slow progress to type of cauliflower, it was planted at a different time than the broccoli (they were bought from a nursery), or weather. Do you live in Minnesota or Michigan?
#13 Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM

In New Zealand not much fruit is in season in August~September. Only thing that's good at the moment is acid fruit i.e. grapefruit, kiwifruit.
#14 Old 09-02-2015, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface3364 View Post
All of this season, I've just gotten leaves, but in the middle if I look at the center, there are very small heads. They will probably grow a bit more, but not to their full size. I've grown it in years past and it matured at the same time as the broccoli. I moved and this is the first time I have grown it in this new location. I have deduced the reasoning to its slow progress to type of cauliflower, it was planted at a different time than the broccoli (they were bought from a nursery), or weather. Do you live in Minnesota or Michigan?
I live in Minnesota.

#15 Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I live in Minnesota.
Then I think it could be the whether. I went and checked my cauliflower and there are very small heads and it looks like its about to go to seed. We had a very humid summer with high temperatures, and when it wasn't hot, it was raining and humid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page