Who's a fan of veggie sushi? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 AM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Thumbs up Who's a fan of veggie sushi?

I love veggie sushi. Not long ago I tried making my own and was surprised by how easy it is. I even got creative and developed a recipe with quinoa instead of rice.



Recently I got even more creative (and lazier) and created a sushi salad. It has the same textures and flavors as veggie sushi rolls in an easy to make salad!



What's your favorite kind of veggie sushi?

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Oh my Lord. That is beautiful! I have been avoiding veggie sushi for months because I'm pregnant and I read that it could be a Listeria risk. It's probably perfectly safe, but I'm paranoid. Let me tell you, I have never wanted sushi so bad in my LIFE. I want to dive right into that picture and eat it up!

My favourites are cucumber and carrot, sweet potato, and inari. Mmmm.
no whey jose is offline  
#3 Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 AM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Oh my Lord. That is beautiful! I have been avoiding veggie sushi for months because I'm pregnant and I read that it could be a Listeria risk. It's probably perfectly safe, but I'm paranoid. Let me tell you, I have never wanted sushi so bad in my LIFE. I want to dive right into that picture and eat it up!

My favourites are cucumber and carrot, sweet potato, and inari. Mmmm.
Mmmm - I love sweet potato too! Especially with a little avocado... I'm wondering if it would be okay if you made your own sushi? What part exactly might contain Listeria? The nori? Or are they concerned about cross contamination because the veggie sushi you eat out is made in the same vicinity as raw fish?

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
Mmmm - I love sweet potato too! Especially with a little avocado... I'm wondering if it would be okay if you made your own sushi? What part exactly might contain Listeria? The nori? Or are they concerned about cross contamination because the veggie sushi you eat out is made in the same vicinity as raw fish?
From what I understand, it's sushi rice itself that can harbour Listeria, plus the threat of cross-cobtamination or improperly washed vegetables at a restaurant. It would probably be much safer to make it at home!
Purp likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#5 Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
From what I understand, it's sushi rice itself that can harbour Listeria, plus the threat of cross-cobtamination or improperly washed vegetables at a restaurant. It would probably be much safer to make it at home!
It is the fish with the listeria, at least here in the u.s.! The raw fish (not previously frozen), especially shellfish. We tell our pregnant patients that cooked or veggie sushi is safe.

From ACOG (sorry about all the fish/meat mentions)
http://m.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Nutr...MobileSet=true

"How can food poisoning affect my pregnancy?

Food poisoning in a pregnant woman can cause serious problems for both her and her baby. Vomiting and diarrhea can cause your body to lose too much water and can disrupt your body’s chemical balance. To prevent food poisoning, follow these general guidelines:

Wash food. Rinse all raw produce thoroughly under running tap water before eating, cutting, or cooking.
Keep your kitchen clean. Wash your hands, knives, countertops, and cutting boards after handling and preparing uncooked foods.
Avoid all raw and undercooked seafood, eggs, and meat. Do not eat sushi made with raw fish (cooked sushi is safe). Food such as beef, pork, or poultry should be cooked to a safe internal temperature.

What is listeriosis and how can it affect my pregnancy?

Listeriosis is a type of food-borne illness caused by bacteria. Pregnant women are 13 times more likely to get listeriosis than the general population. Listeriosis can cause mild, flu-like symptoms such as fever, muscle aches, and diarrhea, but it also may not cause any symptoms. Listeriosis can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, and premature delivery. Antibiotics can be given to treat the infection and to protect your unborn baby. To help prevent listeriosis, avoid eating the following foods during pregnancy:

Unpasteurized milk and foods made with unpasteurized milk
Hot dogs, luncheon meats, and cold cuts unless they are heated until steaming hot just before serving
Refrigerated pate and meat spreads
Refrigerated smoked seafood
Raw and undercooked seafood, eggs, and meat"
LedBoots is offline  
#6 Old 07-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jasminedesi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 590
I love love veggie sushi! I love the Avocado, the carrot, cucumber and sweet potato! I could honestly eat it everyday. Lol
Purp, LedBoots and Veggie Primer like this.
Jasminedesi16 is offline  
#7 Old 07-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,951
I am not
Purp likes this.
silva is offline  
#8 Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
I love veggie sushi. Not long ago I tried making my own and was surprised by how easy it is. I even got creative and developed a recipe with quinoa instead of rice.



Recently I got even more creative (and lazier) and created a sushi salad. It has the same textures and flavors as veggie sushi rolls in an easy to make salad!



What's your favorite kind of veggie sushi?
Me!!!
LedBoots and Veggie Primer like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#9 Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
It is the fish with the listeria, at least here in the u.s.! The raw fish (not previously frozen), especially shellfish. We tell our pregnant patients that cooked or veggie sushi is safe.

From ACOG (sorry about all the fish/meat mentions)
http://m.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Nutr...MobileSet=true

"How can food poisoning affect my pregnancy?

Food poisoning in a pregnant woman can cause serious problems for both her and her baby. Vomiting and diarrhea can cause your body to lose too much water and can disrupt your body’s chemical balance. To prevent food poisoning, follow these general guidelines:

Wash food. Rinse all raw produce thoroughly under running tap water before eating, cutting, or cooking.
Keep your kitchen clean. Wash your hands, knives, countertops, and cutting boards after handling and preparing uncooked foods.
Avoid all raw and undercooked seafood, eggs, and meat. Do not eat sushi made with raw fish (cooked sushi is safe). Food such as beef, pork, or poultry should be cooked to a safe internal temperature.

What is listeriosis and how can it affect my pregnancy?

Listeriosis is a type of food-borne illness caused by bacteria. Pregnant women are 13 times more likely to get listeriosis than the general population. Listeriosis can cause mild, flu-like symptoms such as fever, muscle aches, and diarrhea, but it also may not cause any symptoms. Listeriosis can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, and premature delivery. Antibiotics can be given to treat the infection and to protect your unborn baby. To help prevent listeriosis, avoid eating the following foods during pregnancy:

Unpasteurized milk and foods made with unpasteurized milk
Hot dogs, luncheon meats, and cold cuts unless they are heated until steaming hot just before serving
Refrigerated pate and meat spreads
Refrigerated smoked seafood
Raw and undercooked seafood, eggs, and meat"
Have I really been avoiding it for seven months for no reason?! Dude. I am eating it next time I see it, for sure. Thank you for that!
Purp, LedBoots and Veggie Primer like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#10 Old 07-21-2015, 08:18 AM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Have I really been avoiding it for seven months for no reason?! Dude. I am eating it next time I see it, for sure. Thank you for that!
Why wait? Try making your own! It's much easier than it looks!!
Purp and LedBoots like this.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
#11 Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
Why wait? Try making your own! It's much easier than it looks!!
You don't know who you're talking to. I mess up cooking RICE!
Purp and Veggie Primer like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#12 Old 07-21-2015, 01:10 PM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
You don't know who you're talking to. I mess up cooking RICE!
Ha ha - well, maybe you want to start with the salad version... And maybe look into a rice cooker. ;-)
Purp and no whey jose like this.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
#13 Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
Ha ha - well, maybe you want to start with the salad version... And maybe look into a rice cooker. ;-)
Excellent advice on both counts.
Purp and Veggie Primer like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#14 Old 07-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
shellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 963
I never used to think I would like sushi, I'd avoided it for years! Then, one day at a potluck one of my friends brought sushi, with me in mind she made a few veggie rolls (I didn't want to hurt her feelings since she made them specifically for me so I took one), to my surprise I actually really enjoyed it.
Purp, LedBoots and Veggie Primer like this.
shellie is offline  
#15 Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
TerriNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 282
I LOVE veggie sushi! If it was possible to OD on it, I'd be in big trouble.

EatPlant-Based.com
TerriNC is offline  
#16 Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 AM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriNC View Post
I LOVE veggie sushi! If it was possible to OD on it, I'd be in big trouble.
Ha ha - I feel the same way. That's one of the reasons why I started making my own - it can be an expensive habit!
TerriNC likes this.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
#17 Old 07-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Newbie
 
oyasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post

My favourites are cucumber and carrot, sweet potato, and inari. Mmmm.
I am from Japan, and I have never seen any sushi with sweet potato!
Veggie Primer likes this.

my fibromyalgia blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
oyasai is offline  
#18 Old 07-25-2015, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyasai View Post
I am from Japan, and I have never seen any sushi with sweet potato!
Maybe it's an Americanised thing? It's good!

Veggie Primer likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#19 Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyasai View Post
I am from Japan, and I have never seen any sushi with sweet potato!
We Americans will put anything in sushi.

I have had such delicious vegan sushi at a restaurant near me with Japanese chefs. I make sushi too, but it is not as pretty.
LedBoots is offline  
#20 Old 07-26-2015, 02:17 AM
Newbie
 
oyasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
Haha, thank you for sharing the photo! I just showed it to my mother. I wish I could have shown you guys her "whoa" face!

my fibromyalgia blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
oyasai is offline  
#21 Old 07-26-2015, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
Whole Foods makes a really good vegan Dragon Roll. I tried to google dragon roll pictures but none of them look like the WF's one. Some of the online pics look amazing, too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karenlovessnow is offline  
#22 Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
Whole Foods makes a really good vegan Dragon Roll. I tried to google dragon roll pictures but none of them look like the WF's one. Some of the online pics look amazing, too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omg that is the favorite of all three vegans here, and far too expensive with Whole Foods the closest store to home! The sauce, Karen, the sauce!
LedBoots is offline  
#23 Old 07-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
shellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 963
What is a dragon roll?
shellie is offline  
#24 Old 07-26-2015, 08:23 AM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyasai View Post
I am from Japan, and I have never seen any sushi with sweet potato!
It's gotta be an Americanized version - but as noted above - it's delicious!

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
#25 Old 07-26-2015, 08:30 AM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
What is a dragon roll?
I think of avocado covered sushi rolls when I think of dragon rolls. Might have to try making my own... Did a quick search and found this vegan recipe: http://lowfatveganchef.com/how-to-ma...-roll-uramaki/

Then there was that time when I enjoyed a few cocktails with a dragon roll and later mistakenly thought the glob of wasabi was a left over piece of avocado... In my defense, the lighting was quite low in the restaurant. Ha ha
no whey jose likes this.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
#26 Old 07-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
I think of avocado covered sushi rolls when I think of dragon rolls. Might have to try making my own... Did a quick search and found this vegan recipe: http://lowfatveganchef.com/how-to-ma...-roll-uramaki/

Then there was that time when I enjoyed a few cocktails with a dragon roll and later mistakenly thought the glob of wasabi was a left over piece of avocado... In my defense, the lighting was quite low in the restaurant. Ha ha
Oooh I did that with wasabi once too! And I am not good with spicy! :
LedBoots is offline  
#27 Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
Radharc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 87
I like veggie sushi, but I've only ever had the kid with carrots, celery, and avocado. Even that is hard for me to find so I honestly thought it was the only type of veggie sushi around. The sushi bowl is giving me ideas, though.
Radharc is offline  
#28 Old 07-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Veggie sushi is the bomb!! I love avocado and the mushroom rolls.
Purp, LedBoots and Veggie Primer like this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#29 Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM
plant-based advocate
 
Veggie Primer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Oooh I did that with wasabi once too! And I am not good with spicy! :
Fortunately for me, the cocktails numbed my reaction! Ha ha!
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veggie Primer is offline  
#30 Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 PM
A Vegan Man
 
George Matthews AVeganMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 6
Let me just say that I am spoiled! In Jacksonville FL there is a sushi restaurant called Sushiko. They have a vegan sushi menu with over 40 vegan sushi rolls! When you show up they bring you a vegan soup, and they offer several vegan appetizers. If you are ever anywhere near Jacksonville it is worth the trip!
Purp and no whey jose like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Matthews A Vegan Man
Command Respect while respecting all living things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
George Matthews AVeganMan is offline  
Reply

Tags
recipe ideas , sushi , Vegan

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off