9Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhys
  • 1 Post By Rhys
  • 2 Post By danakscully64
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 3 Post By rasitha.wijesekera

#1 Old 07-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Just Mayo jars ridiculously hard to open?

Anyone else having serious trouble opening up the large Just Mayo jars? I've bought a couple jars of Just Mayo this year and I've never been able to get them open, even when using tools to improve my grip. My brother also has had a horrendous time trying to open them for me. He told me it looked like the plastic lids were glued onto the jar. Any advice if you've experienced the same? I may go back to Vegenaise...

UPDATE: Alright, so I've received an e-mail back from Hampton Creek and they've confirmed there was a batch with lids that were on way too tight. They need a picture of the product number, expiration date, and bar code from me so that they can get closer to solving the issue. It's great that they got back to me so quickly!

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.

Last edited by danakscully64; 07-14-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Smacking the bottom of the jar with your hand sometimes helps.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 07-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I've gone through 3 Just Mayos and had no problem. I even use one to take my soy milk to work.
The 16 oz with a black plastic lid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe they got a bad batch out there. You reminded me tomorrows Monday so I filled my jar. Yup, it closes tight and opens easily.
#5 Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Impeach the gangster

I've used only the small jars- use them for mixing salad dressing. They work good.

You probably bought into a batch that had a manufacturing glitch.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM

It's the 30 oz. jar. Each one I've tried seems to have had the lid glued on. It may be a bad batch I've encountered.

#7 Old 07-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Impeach the gangster

Probably so. You might shoot Just Mayo a message, in case they're not aware of it. It's a bummer when stuff goes wrong.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 07-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't even seen 30 oz! Nor the smaller ones.\
Try a 16 oz next. I've saved all of them because I like the plastic lid- screw tight but opens easy, and I have a hard time with jar lids.
#9 Old 07-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had no problems with the 30 oz jars. A wet rag may help
#10 Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 AM

Thanks, all. I'll shoot them a message! Sadly, my local grocery store only sells the 30 oz. jars. I really like Just Mayo so maybe they will get a new batch in sometime.

#11 Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

I've only seen the squeezy bottles with the flip-top plastic lid, but I imagine that's not what you're talking about. How discouraging to have a whole jar of delicious mayo that you can't enjoy!
#12 Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
It's the 30 oz. jar. Each one I've tried seems to have had the lid glued on. It may be a bad batch I've encountered.
Welcome back to VB!!

#13 Old 07-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a few bad batches. I haven't had any issues and I've gone through 4 jars (don't judge me!!! ).

#14 Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 AM

Thanks, dana! ^^ Still haven't forgotten you. You converted me to Everyday Minerals foundation, I believe, and I've never looked back. It's the only foundation I've tried that matches my skin tone and doesn't make me super oily.

Ahem...back to Just Mayo...yeah, I'm lucky my brother has been able to get them open for me eventually, no whey jose!

No judgement here, dana. XD I went ahead and contacted Hampton Creek to let them know what's been going on and where I bought their product.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

#15 Old 07-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, dana! ^^ Still haven't forgotten you. You converted me to Everyday Minerals foundation, I believe, and I've never looked back. It's the only foundation I've tried that matches my skin tone and doesn't make me super oily.

Ahem...back to Just Mayo...yeah, I'm lucky my brother has been able to get them open for me eventually, no whey jose!

No judgement here, dana. XD I went ahead and contacted Hampton Creek to let them know what's been going on and where I bought their product.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.
Ha, I was just looking at that thread yesterday! I've been wearing my EDM foundation again, I got lazy and bought Mac powder (it's pressed) for a while. I still have every piece of makeup I bought from them.

I purchased Vegenaise for years, but it was more like Miracle Whip. Just Mayo is like regular mayo, but 10 times better. I never really liked mayo before. Since I try to follow a mostly vegan diet now, I make homemade 1000 island, homemade ranch, and Mock Tuna all the time. Tastes better too!

Did you buy the Costco sized one?

#16 Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 PM

Alright, so I've received an e-mail back from Hampton Creek and they've confirmed there was a batch with lids that were on way too tight. They need a picture of the product number, expiration date, and bar code from me so that they can get closer to solving the issue. It's great that they got back to me so quickly!

To dana - there's no Costco near me but I do like to buy in bulk to save money when I can! I really enjoy the texture of Just Mayo. Yeeesss, vegan ranch and mock tuna. <3 I love mixing it with sriracha and eating it with spicy sweet potato fries too.

Is there a way I can quote the first part of this post and add it to the top of this thread for those who don't want to read the entire thread for an answer? If not, that's fine! Thanks.
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by Rhys; 07-13-2015 at 08:20 PM.
#17 Old 07-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alright, so I've received an e-mail back from Hampton Creek and they've confirmed there was a batch with lids that were on way too tight. They need a picture of the product number, expiration date, and bar code from me so that they can get closer to solving the issue. It's great that they got back to me so quickly!

To dana - there's no Costco near me but I do like to buy in bulk to save money when I can! I really enjoy the texture of Just Mayo. Yeeesss, vegan ranch and mock tuna. <3 I love mixing it with sriracha and eating it with spicy sweet potato fries too.

Is there a way I can quote the first part of this post and add it to the top of this thread for those who don't want to read the entire thread for an answer? If not, that's fine! Thanks.
Yay! I love the company.

At Costco, they have a 64 ounce jar of Just Mayo for about $5! I bought it, but gave it away when I moved. Next time I go to Costco, I'm getting another. I went through my last jar (32ounces) in less than 2 weeks. That might explain my tight fitting clothes I make Sriracha ranch sometimes. I used to be a HUGE Sriracha fan, but for the last year or so, I've been more addicted to buffalo sauce.

I'll edit your post. Let me know if I did it wrong.

#18 Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Beginner

Omg this happened to me. I was at it for 30 mins nearly I tears, I just wanted a sandwich with a little mayo on it!!!! I finally opened it but my hand wear red and sore for hours. Clearly I wanted the mayo hahaha I thought maybe I was super weak but clearly it wasn't me.

Envoyé en utilisant Tapatalk.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#19 Old 08-02-2015, 12:26 AM

Looks good, Dana! Thanks! 64 ounce jar, yaaaaas!!! Woah, woah...I must make and try this vegan buffalo sauce sometime. Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy. D: But I'm glad to be back on VB!

Just Mayo sent me some goodies since I sent them photos and info about the defective lids. One of the goodies was another jar of Just Mayo. I could open the lid on that one very easily. So I'm hoping to see more Just Mayo at my grocery store with the proper lids soon.
danakscully64 likes this.

#20 Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Your jar is always hard to open? I just found I now live by a cool target and got a 32 oz jar. It was impossible to open until I pryed the plastic like I would 'pop' the vacuum on a meta lid. It came right off and now goes on and off very easily. I normally wouldnt think to do that with a plastic lid. It had a flared bottom to it.
I think the 32 oz one was $5.00! I really want to go to Costco, I just don't want a membership
#21 Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 AM

i stopped buying the mayo in jars, now I just get the one with a cap which I can flip open. like this one

#22 Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

The brand we're discussing has this type:

Naturebound and CricketVS like this.
#23 Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I had the same trouble with my Just Mayo jar lid. I had to use two potholders, one in each hand, each coated with rubber on one side. One to hold the jar, the other to turn the lid. They seriously need to recalibrate the force they're using to screw those things on.
#24 Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post
I had the same trouble with my Just Mayo jar lid. I had to use two potholders, one in each hand, each coated with rubber on one side. One to hold the jar, the other to turn the lid. They seriously need to recalibrate the force they're using to screw those things on.
I know I had to wait until my son came home! I tried everything. Then he just twists it off and tells me I need to do more arm exercises.
Joan Kennedy and Naturebound like this.
#25 Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I have had no trouble at all opening the jars.
#26 Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVegi View Post
i stopped buying the mayo in jars, now I just get the one with a cap which I can flip open. like this one
Hey MrVegi!, Just wanted to let you know (in case you don't), Just Mayo is vegan, and very good, that's why we're fussing over it.
#27 Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Hey MrVegi!, Just wanted to let you know (in case you don't), Just Mayo is vegan, and very good, that's why we're fussing over it.
I use Just Mayo, I was just giving an example of the type of container I usually get so I didnt experiance the problem you have.

Last edited by MrVegi; 08-11-2015 at 07:33 AM.
#28 Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

You can't open a Jar?

heh heh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page