• 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By melimomTARDIS
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By Scorpius

#1 Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Joes discontinued Soy yogurt!

I only go to Trader Joes every few months, and it seems every time they're either out of something on my list, say they're having problems with supplier, or discontinued.
This time was their pint size TJ's brand vanilla soy yogurt! It was my favorite, and resonably priced.
I'm so disappointed with them, the one by me at least makes it hard to find vegan items unless you go to their website, and even that isn't easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2015, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Boooo on Trader Joe. There's nothing more frustrating than having a store discontinue something, especially when they are items that are hard to find to begin with...or something we just really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#3 Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what it is with vegan yogurt but so many stores I go to either stop selling it or switch brands. One of the grocery stores I go to no longer sells SoDelicious coconut milk yogurt. They only sell Silk soy yogurt. The Whole Foods Coop I go to on occasion stopped selling WholeSoy yogurts and I can only find SoDelcious ones there. It is a rare treat to find Almond milk yogurt ANYWHERE now. And the only vegan yogurt I can find beyond those little five and six oz cups is SoDelcious in a 12 oz container at Whole Foods Coop. So often though they are out of stock. I once grabbed the last one just before someone else got to it lol. I don't eat vegan yogurt often but it is still frustrating! I don't know what it is with vegan yogurts either. Sighs.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-29-2015, 04:04 AM
Veggie Regular

It's interesting because I couldn't find Silk soy yogurt for months...all the stores by me only carry the almond and coconut milk varieties which I don't like. Plus, I like my yogurt to have some...wait for it...protein! lol

I finally found Silk yogurt at Mrs. Greens. But it means making a special trip which is a pain.

#5 Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I don't know what it is with vegan yogurt but so many stores I go to either stop selling it or switch brands. One of the grocery stores I go to no longer sells SoDelicious coconut milk yogurt. They only sell Silk soy yogurt. The Whole Foods Coop I go to on occasion stopped selling WholeSoy yogurts and I can only find SoDelcious ones there. It is a rare treat to find Almond milk yogurt ANYWHERE now. And the only vegan yogurt I can find beyond those little five and six oz cups is SoDelcious in a 12 oz container at Whole Foods Coop. So often though they are out of stock. I once grabbed the last one just before someone else got to it lol. I don't eat vegan yogurt often but it is still frustrating! I don't know what it is with vegan yogurts either. Sighs.
I believe that WholeSoy stopped manufacturing yogurt altogether, which makes me sad because they were my favourite brand in the US.

If you're ever in the UK, Alpro makes the most delicious soy yogurt, and it comes in big containers:

ETA: Yep. https://m.reddit.com/r/vegan/comment...fter_16_years/
Naturebound likes this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 06-29-2015 at 04:53 AM.
#6 Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy silk's soy-yogurt at the regular grocery store. I wish it came in tubs, instead of little pots, but either way, its a household staple. My 3 year old thinks its a dessert
#7 Old 06-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
It's interesting because I couldn't find Silk soy yogurt for months...all the stores by me only carry the almond and coconut milk varieties which I don't like. Plus, I like my yogurt to have some...wait for it...protein! lol

I finally found Silk yogurt at Mrs. Greens. But it means making a special trip which is a pain.

This. I wish there was more protein in the coconut milk yogurts (sorry soy yogurt, you are full or protein, but yucky). I'm lucky enough to find them easily at the grocery store I shop at (not many flavours, but beggars can't be choosers, I guess), but where's the protein?! I really wouldn't mind if they reformulated it and added in some pea protein or something . . . anything!!
karenlovessnow likes this.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#8 Old 06-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

scorpius- maybe mix in a pit of pea protien yourself?
#9 Old 06-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I believe that WholeSoy stopped manufacturing yogurt altogether, which makes me sad because they were my favourite brand in the US.

If you're ever in the UK, Alpro makes the most delicious soy yogurt, and it comes in big containers:

O M G Strawberry rhubard is my favorite flavor, and never seen in a yogurt, vegan or otherwise!

And WholeSOy?? That was right next to TJ's in being my favorite!! I bet TJ's was made by Whole Soy .. anyone know??

I made two attempts at making it myself. One at room temp overnight, the other in a thermos. Both times came out spoiled soy milk... I'm uncertain if it's worth buying a yougurt maker.

And it's coconut yogurt that's yucky IMO, BTW
no whey jose likes this.
#10 Old 06-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Back in 2013, it appears that there was only one facility in the U.S. which produced soy yogurts (other than Silk, which has its own facility). When that facility shut down in 2013 on short notice, all of those brands were without a manufacturing facility. WholeSoy eventually opened its own facility (and may well have manufactured the TJ yogurt), but WholeSoy never financially recovered from that interruption in business and closed earlier this year.
#11 Old 06-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
scorpius- maybe mix in a pit of pea protien yourself?
Meh. That requires money. And effort.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#12 Old 06-29-2015, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post

I know, I loved WholeSoy, especially their lemon flavor! That alpro looks so good! I'm still in the dreaming stage about visiting England, and hoping to make it reality someday.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I forgot, but Silk used to make big tubs of unsweetened soy yogurt too. I remember those. I still have empty containers of it I saved. Why has it become so unpopular to make the big tubs? Those little containers are never enough for me. :/
#14 Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

from what I have seen online, england seems like a much more vegan friendly country than the US.
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.
#15 Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I know, I loved WholeSoy, especially their lemon flavor! That alpro looks so good! I'm still in the dreaming stage about visiting England, and hoping to make it reality someday.
You're welcome to visit me when you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
from what I have seen online, england seems like a much more vegan friendly country than the US.
I think it depends where you are in the US and the UK. I'm lucky to live in a vegan-friendly area in the South of England, but my friends who live out in the country only have one veg restaurant nearby. Brighton is the place to go for tons of delicious options!
Naturebound likes this.
#16 Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I found this exciting: Daiya is going to be making a soy-free vegan yogurt with pea protein! Eight whole grams of it, this article! I'm just like hoping it's not loaded with sugar like most of the dairy free yogurts out there.
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#17 Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 PM

Both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are going downhill fast when it comes to vegan foods. There has been a drastic cut in their vegan products in 2015. At TJ, I cannot find their soy yogurt anymore and I have been checking for more than 3 months now. In addition, they no longer carry their Vegan Burrito either. Turning to Whole Foods, they have stopped all their Vegan cakes in the dessert section except for the snack sized ones. I believe it was being supplied by a company called Just Dessert. I spoke to Whole Foods but they have no answer nor do they have a substitute company as a supplier. No more birthday vegan cakes that we could pick up by just walking into Whole Foods.

There are coconut and almond milk based yogurt and ice cream available. But those contain more than twice the amount of fat per the same amount of serving compared to soy.

As mentioned by some here Whole Soy is out of business.

There is currently a good opportunity for a chain store to cater to vegans now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page