• 3 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By varun
  • 3 Post By TerriNC
  • 2 Post By shellie
  • 1 Post By melimomTARDIS
  • 1 Post By xPigeon Swarmx

#1 Old 06-07-2015, 11:33 PM

Most Vegan-friendly cuisine?

I'm trying to find out which cuisine or cultures have the most vegan-friendly foods and lifestyles.
Or perhaps even just some particular dishes that contain no animal products that are really good and maybe hearty?

I am an american and I grew up with hamburgers and hotdogs but I never really liked them even when I was a meat eater. So emulating that with vegan versions of american food doesn't interest me much. (Though I will say that I think veggie burgers are more flavorful than hamburgers ever have been)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Riot Nrrrd

What have you considered good food in the past, back when you ate meat? That'll cue me in to the flavors that interest you.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 AM

Spaghetti, sushi, anything with potatoes, Tacos and Fajitas. Most southern "soul food" stuff. ( collard greens ... mashed potatoes) I honestly haven't had much variety in my life. I mostly grew up on fast food and rarely got cooked meals and as a result I don't know much about cooking in general. But I'm trying to learn. ^^;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a big fan of Thai. The flavours are gorgeous and a lot of it involves vegetable stir-fry and noodles. Just be sure to request no fish sauce if you're eating at a restaurant.
#5 Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Regarding cultures that are vegan friendly & have vegan-friendly cuisine its an easy answer

1) Jain culture & cuisine - 100% vegan, with exception to milk.

2) Hindu Brahman culture - is 100% vegan as long as you refuse milk.

3) Buddhist culture - There is one aspect of Buddhism (the tampered Chinese aspect) which accepts meat as part of natural diet. The original Indian version doesn't accept meat in any form. However milk again is accepted for consumption.

Since dairy products are typically not used as ingredients in food, rather consumed separately in the form of milk or curd, you can categorize all the above 3 cultures as vegan friendly.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#6 Old 06-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

When we eat out at restaurants, it's usually always Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Mexican. At Chinese restaurants we get stir fried or steamed veggies over rice or noodles, usually with bean curd. At Japanese restaurants, we love veggie sushi and hibachi veggies. Thai restaurants are our very favorite--Pad Thai (hold the fish sauce and egg) with tofu, masaman curry, garden or spring rolls, the options are many! Mexican restaurants usually offer bean and rice tacos or burritos, veggie fajitas, and veggie taco salads.
no whey jose, LuciBow and Mr. H. like this.

EatPlant-Based.com
#7 Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

curry or stir-fry are go-tos for me. At a restaurant a curry should be vegan already and if you order a tofu stir-fry (I think) it's usually vegan, just ask for steamed rice instead of fried or request they leave off the egg in fried rice.
LuciBow and Mr. H. like this.
#8 Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

good hearty stuff at home- vegetarian chili (homemade or canned), baked potatoes,split pea soup (we make ours thick!),bean burritos,fully loaded sub sandwiches with hummus and assorted veggies stuffed in there....

hearty stuff out at a restaurant- I like mexican food, and chinese food, for easy vegan options. But if I am at a diner, I am more than happy with some fruit topped pancakes, or a baked potato and garden salad.
LuciBow likes this.
#9 Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 AM

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. It's been helpful <3 Also aren't most pancakes made with egg? Or maybe that's just the boxed kind...
#10 Old 06-09-2015, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Thank you all for the input and suggestions. It's been helpful <3 Also aren't most pancakes made with egg? Or maybe that's just the boxed kind...
I am personally trying to eat as vegan as I can, and right now, that means no overt animal foods when out, and no animal based ingredients at home.

So for pancakes, at home I make them vegan, but at a restaurant they may have egg in their mixture.

I choose to forgo the side of eggs, and the whipped cream/butter toppings, and the half in half in my coffee, but I will eat the pancakes.
#11 Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Pancakes are generally made with eggs, but you can use egg replacer and they come out virtually the same.
#12 Old 06-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Pancakes can easily be made vegan at home, just by using egg replacer. You can also make them out of just banana and flax egg. A flax egg is just ground flax mixed with water. It thickens up. You can also use chia seeds instead of flax.

What I've been doing is thinking if one or two ingredients I have -- like say, brown rice -- then I'll just Google, brown rice vegan recipes. Or, vegan tacos, vegan fajitas, vegan pancakes, then find an easy recipe that I have all the ingredients for.

Cut all your veggies and have everything in reach before you start cooking. It'll make your life easier.

Speaking of tacos, I think Mexican might win in the heartiness department. A lot of traditional Mexican dishes are veg and even vegan. Just, if you eat out at Mexican places, it's probably best to call first and ask if they use chicken stock in their rice or lard in their beans.
LuciBow likes this.
#13 Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibasoup View Post
Soup is very tasty and healthy. Therefore, I try to cook it as often as possible. For this, I am constantly searching for recipes.

club.cooking/recipe/hibachi-soup/

This is one of my favorites.

Not vegetarian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#14 Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I vote for Chinese. They never use cheese in their food. (unlike Mexican). And they invented tofu (or was that the Japanese?) Stir fry with tofu and vegetables is my go -to dish.
#15 Old 07-10-2019, 12:17 AM

Not to mention Thai and Chinese, another good option is Lebanese food. Any Lebanese restaurant will have a wide variety of dishes which do not contain any meat and/or dairy products.
And the choice of dishes made out of vegetables, hot and cold, is enormous.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page