Little Yellow Squash (?) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't ask me why but I bought some and I don't know what to do with it.

Do you eat it raw, boiled, steamed or baked?

(I'm thinking steamed with steamed kale.)

Do I have to peel, skin or gut them?

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

There are so many kinds of squash. Is it summer squash or winter squash?

Winter squashes usually have tough skin, which allows them to keep well for a few months without refrigeration. Summer squashes have tender skin which is fine to eat, unless you just don't want to. Every now and then I've run across a squash with bitter skin, and in that case you'd want to peel.

Seeds... when you cut one open, either the seeds will be soft, or tough and hard. If they're hard I'd scrape them out. You could give them to some birds. The soft summer squash seeds are fine to eat.

Steamed sounds good. I usually bake winter squash, but not summer squash. Roasting is an option, as is stir-fry. My mom used to batter-fry zucchini slices and they were really yummy that way. Any summer squash could be cooked that way.
#3 Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Does your squash look like this? If so, then you have pattypan squash. There's a ton of things you can do with it but my favorite is to wash it well, cut the stems off and steam it whole with some cut onions (or onion wedges). After it's done steaming, mash everything together, put a bit of Earth Balance on it along with a tad of pepper and enjoy. It's very good stuff.

ETA: you can also cut the tops off, hollow it out, stuff it like individual zucchinis (be sure to save your hollowed out stuff to use in the stuffing) and bake it, or slice it up and toss in some stir-fry. Just about anything you can do with a zucchini, you can do with a pattypan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Beginner

I like to peel and cut it up and steam it with white onions. Add pepper and it makes it even better! That's the simplest thing that I do with it.
#5 Old 07-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

Does your squash look like this? If so, then you have pattypan squash. There's a ton of things you can do with it but my favorite is to wash it well, cut the stems off and steam it whole with some cut onions (or onion wedges). After it's done steaming, mash everything together, put a bit of Earth Balance on it along with a tad of pepper and enjoy. It's very good stuff.

ETA: you can also cut the tops off, hollow it out, stuff it like individual zucchinis (be sure to save your hollowed out stuff to use in the stuffing) and bake it, or slice it up and toss in some stir-fry. Just about anything you can do with a zucchini, you can do with a pattypan.

yes by golly i think it is pattypan squash

its more yellow than the ones pictured.

i guess either its pattypan or summer so im going to take everybodys suggestion and steam it with onions and add pepper. thanks yall!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#6 Old 07-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Another thing you can do is wash them, cut off the stems, then cut them into wedges (like a lime wedge). Then sautee them with olive oil, onions, zucchini, and broccoli, add a can of diced tomatoes, some capers, and some dried chili peppers.

Sautee for a couple of minutes and serve over pasta - like orecchiete (sp?) or penne. yum!

amy
#7 Old 07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Rie
Veggie Regular

They're very good in stir-fries as well. Cabbage, onions, mushrooms, carrots, zuchinni, and squash all together with sesame oil on top. YUMMM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page