• 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By dropscone
  • 1 Post By Smileyface3364

#1 Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Organic or not?

hi foodies!
Need some help/opinions!
OK - background - I've always been veggie, recently gone vegan, been anorexic for 14 years, need to gain weight. Along with discovering veganism I've also realised how important it is to eat organic (for the planet, for heath). Sadly I am very poor (!) and I've found that the organic produce I can get hold of it about 3 x the price of non-organic.

I don't mind for stuff which will last forever like a bag of rice or whatever, but for fruits and veg it would make a serious dent in my bank balance because I eat a LOT of fruit nuts bread houmous veggies etc.

So I have a dilemma - do I buy non-organic (bad for environment, dodgy in terms of effect on human health?! I dunno) or do I just buy less and eat less (that is a horrible hook back into restricted eating isn't it?) or do I buy SOME organic and some not? And if so which should I buy organic?

Does organic really make a difference or is it negligible?

Please just assume that I don't have any other options (i.e. there's no local organic farmers market, I can't afford veg deivery boxes, I don't have friends/family to share with, etc etc)

Oh by the way I'm in the UK.

Help!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

No one here is going to yell at you for not buying organic. No need to explain why you can't afford everything organic.
Buy a few things organic and the rest not, but definitely do not eat less just so you can afford to eat organic.
As for what it's best to buy organic, I'm not sure what to tell you. There's a lot of different information out there about which foods one should buy organic. Hopefully someone else here will have a better reply for that question.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know how accurate this is, but I found a list of the best foods to buy organic based on levels of toxic pesticides and common methods of cleaning:

Apples
Strawberries
Grapes
Celery
Peaches
Spinach
Sweet bell peppers
Nectarines (imported)
Cucumbers
Cherry tomatoes
Snap peas (imported)
Potatoes
LedBoots and mecanna like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy some organic and some not. I am not rich either and can not afford to buy everything, food or clothing or otherwise, organic. I pick my battles and do the best I can. When I first went vegan I really tried to avoid every possible company that exploits labor and so on. But it is near impossible when you live in a capitalistic society. Often even small companies are owned by or controlled by larger ones that are quite exploitive. There are a lot of vegan foods I eat that are not possible to grow locally either, such as coconuts, almonds, and bananas and coffee. I am just not willing to give them up entirely. Maybe someday. I do try to buy chocolate and coffee fairtrade since those are some of the most controversial crops. I also try to buy things like apples and potatoes organic since they are high pesticide foods and the skins sometimes are treated with stuff like shellac (animal derived). I have an apple tree in my yard and use those too in the Fall and early winter. And I grow my own garden in the summer and try to preserve some of that. Even if you live in an apartment you can still grow small pots of herbs or lettuce etc. Growing your own food can be very healing.

As a recovering anorexic myself (weight restored but barely), I had to learn to be more relaxed with food and to not be so strict with food rules and what I would allow myself. I used to be gung ho against processed vegan food and even made my own plant milk for a while (flaxseed and water) but started allowing myself to enjoy an occasional bagel or vegan cream cheese and so on. I still try to eat whole foods and eat healthy, but I can appreciate an occasional batch of cookies with some vegan sugar in them, or a cliff bar, and even recently bought a vegan cold cereal (crispy rice) to make rice crispy bars with peanut butter. Probably one of the cheapest dessert/snacks I have made in years aside from the brown rice syrup lol. It's not the end of the world if I buy a bag of oranges that aren't organic because they were $2 cheaper. I'd rather a person live in a way that is sustainable long term (for their own health and mental sanity too) than give up in frustration because they can't be 100% pure and perfect.
dropscone and no whey jose like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-27-2015, 03:26 AM

Nice collection jose ..... have a Good day !

Last edited by James Smith; 03-28-2015 at 02:48 AM.
#6 Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM

Organic might cause more animal suffering than non-organic, or just as much suffering.

Oftenly they use "biological control" techniques, to kill insect plagues.
There are some techniques to repel insects, not needing to kill them, though. And non-organic is a ****load of suffering as well, since it involves poisoning the plagues. (sometimes poison birds and such as well)

I prefer buying hydroponic goods whenever possible. They're oftenly cultivated in greenhouses and don't need to kill anything to grow.
#7 Old 03-27-2015, 08:12 AM
just add raisins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
...I'd rather a person live in a way that is sustainable long term (for their own health and mental sanity too) than give up in frustration because they can't be 100% pure and perfect.
This is really sensible advice.

I do tend to try to follow the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists when I buy produce myself because it seems a helpful tool to strike a good balance but when I eat out I don't worry about it. Got to accept that in order to live in the world we're not going to be able to completely avoid pollution and pesticides even if we eat 100% organic because there's always going to be airborne dust and stuff, so just try to weigh up what's going to make you feel most comfortable and nourished.
David3 likes this.
#8 Old 03-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Vegan since 1991

Certified Organic products are not pesticide-free. They are permitted to be grown with naturally-derived pesticides: http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/organic.html
#9 Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 AM

The Organic food has more of the antioxidant compounds linked to better health than regular food, and lower levels of toxic metals and pesticides.
#10 Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 PM

Never restrict calories! That makes your connection with food waver and it's unfair to your body! Buy oraganic on sale or find better prices at certain stores. The best thing you can do is buy locally! I don't know how long your winters are, but supporting local markets is probably the best you could do, especially since it tends to be cheaper considering they haven't been shipped from around the world. Another solution is buying your own seeds and growing them at home. A container garden is pretty cheap and fun to do!
LedBoots likes this.
#11 Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanKennedy View Post
The Organic food has more of the antioxidant compounds linked to better health than regular food, and lower levels of toxic metals and pesticides.
The fining of such selected food may be problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page