• 2 Post By MozIsMyShepherd
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Windigo
  • 2 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 3 Post By kaleidica

#1 Old 03-13-2015, 07:04 PM

Potluck Help!

My office has a potluck every quarter, and normally I bring a nice dip and crackers, and try to avoid the plethora of meat everyone brings. However, though I signed up for a dip this time...I was thinking it might be fun to bring a dish that showcases how delicious veggie eating can be. But...what?!

Everyone in my office loooooves meat. Loves it. Seriously, they thought the potluck list was looking "too vegetarian" (um yes all the desserts are vegetarian) so someone signed up to bring "MEAT." Yes, his spot on the sign up sheet just says "meat." They're not typical omnivores, they're carnivores that can't imagine a meal without meat. We do live in the southern US...so that's sort of the culture here (at least in Louisiana).

Do you have any ideas for great veggie meals that would please picky eaters - and maybe even convince them I'm not crazy? BONUS: The potluck is on St. Patrick's Day!

*this post could also help anyone that's contributing to a mostly omni potluck!*
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Does it have to be a cold dish or hot? Will you have a chance to warm it up before serving? In the UK they have lots of veggie party snacks you can buy from frozen. Like veggie samosas, veggie spring rolls, baked baby bell or baked mozzarella sticks(you are not vegan, right?), mini pizzas, mini cheese and onion pasties that sort of stuff. Or if you like to cook you could make a veggie biryani. There's lots you could bring but you need to know what they are likely to enjoy...apart from meat

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#3 Old 03-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I made a wild rice salad for a potluck at work a month or so ago. It was a cold salad with cooked wild rice, walnuts, celery, onion, dried cranberries and blueberries, cinnamon, and a little maple syrup mixed in. I really didn't think people would eat it as my coworkers are huge meat and cheese fans, but they really liked it a lot!

I also made my very own invented recipe for the potluck and it was also a success:
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/43...ree-vegan.html

In the past I have made vegan coleslaw for potlucks, homemade bread, hummus, vegan homemade graham crackers, fresh fruit tray, maple roasted almonds, countless desserts (coconut bundt cake, chocolate cupcakes, carrot muffins, flourless peanut butter cookies, chocolate covered pretzels for example), mashed coconut sweet potato, buckwheat clusters (from the Oh She Glows blog), homemade granola.

I LOVE this recipe and have made it countless times. The cabbage, red potato, and saurkraut remind me of St. Patricks day. I also add red lentils to boost protein and make it in my crockpot:
http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes...auerkraut.html
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Oh yeah how did I not think about that- bake something yummy!
Purp and Windigo like this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#5 Old 03-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually bring 2 things, a dessert and a savory (such as a salad, or appetizers) so I can have stuff to eat. I found this on food.com while searching for vegan St. Patrick's Day potluck recipes.I hope this helps.
Naturebound likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Vegan since 1991

Falafel pitas! Greasy and crispy!

If you can fry it up right at the office (using a plug-in electric burner), it would be even better. Be sure to use lots of fry oil, and include plenty of pickles and spicy tahini in the pitas.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 PM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Oh yeah how did I not think about that- bake something yummy!
Apple turnovers are a good suggestion for a potluck, and they can easily be made vegan too.

Just buy some (vegan) puff pastry and fill it with some diced apple, cinnamon and sugar mix. Add some raisins too if you like them. Fold them and put in the oven for about 20 mins on 200 celcius. Delicious and super easy, they're always a party hit when I make them
Purp likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#8 Old 03-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I like making pasta salad with veggies in it. Pretty to look at, and good to eat. It's always a hit, and makes a complete meal for me if there's nothing else there that I can eat. Potato salad is another good choice, although it doesn't provide a whole meal for me.
Purp and fadingstars like this.
#9 Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! Sorry I took a while to share the results - I wanted to post on a computer instead of my phone to make link-posting easier!

Anyway, I planned on making Naturebound's first suggestion - wild rice salad! I was travelling until the night before the potluck, and got my boyfriend to make the rice for me so it'd be all ready to make the salad when I got home (at like 11pm haha). But OOPS, we only had a wild rice/brown rice blend, and that's what he made. I didn't think short grain brown rice would taste so great in a cold salad. So instead I made a pilaf! I used the rice blend, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed cranberries (so they'd get puffy!), caramelized onions (w/brown sugar), and toasted pecans. I actually based it on this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/harvest-rice-dish/ - except I didn't measure anything and used pecans instead of almonds and vegan butter (and no chicken broth, obvs).

I think it went over really well! Well enough at least - I did not please just -one- meateater, a guy who must have meat in everything. I recommend it for anyone troubled about what to make for an omni's potluck!

Also, for people that prefer to bake, my church (which is supa vegan friendly) had a fundraiser last night and I made vegan lemon bars which were also awesome, and everyone loved them! I'm sure no one, omnis included, realized there was tofu in them. I followed this recipe exactly - http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/veget...lemon-bars.php

Thanks again, all!
Purp, LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#10 Old 03-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidica View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! Sorry I took a while to share the results - I wanted to post on a computer instead of my phone to make link-posting easier!

Anyway, I planned on making Naturebound's first suggestion - wild rice salad! I was travelling until the night before the potluck, and got my boyfriend to make the rice for me so it'd be all ready to make the salad when I got home (at like 11pm haha). But OOPS, we only had a wild rice/brown rice blend, and that's what he made. I didn't think short grain brown rice would taste so great in a cold salad. So instead I made a pilaf! I used the rice blend, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed cranberries (so they'd get puffy!), caramelized onions (w/brown sugar), and toasted pecans. I actually based it on this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/harvest-rice-dish/ - except I didn't measure anything and used pecans instead of almonds and vegan butter (and no chicken broth, obvs).

I think it went over really well! Well enough at least - I did not please just -one- meateater, a guy who must have meat in everything. I recommend it for anyone troubled about what to make for an omni's potluck!

Also, for people that prefer to bake, my church (which is supa vegan friendly) had a fundraiser last night and I made vegan lemon bars which were also awesome, and everyone loved them! I'm sure no one, omnis included, realized there was tofu in them. I followed this recipe exactly - http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/veget...lemon-bars.php

Thanks again, all!
I'm very glad to hear all went well at both functions. Both sound delicious. I'd just ignore the meat eater....

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page