Emotional about cutting vegetables... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I cry so much when I cut onions and it's not only that but my eyes burn and I want to scratch them out. I know that's the natural reaction but does anyone have any suggestions to stop it, I love my onions but I can't take this. Right now I've resorted to wearing a pair of swimming goggles while cutting onions which works but is super uncomfortable and looks really weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow- when I read that title, I thought you meant that you felt bad/sad when you cut veggies, like bc you didn't want to hurt them- I was expecting a conversion to fruitarianism.

Sorry- I don't have any suggestions for the onion cutting, but good luck!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#3 Old 07-01-2004, 12:32 AM

I always peel the onion, and put it in a bowl of cold water for a couple mins, then chop it...no tears. Or if you're in a hurry you can take it after its peeled and run it under a faucet for a few seconds. It works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you refridgerate them?
#5 Old 07-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

No, should I be?
#6 Old 07-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

takes the sting out
#7 Old 07-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to have to chop lots of onions in one of my jobs. I found the best way to deal with it was with positioning in relation to the exaust fan -- so that the fan sucked the onion fumes away from me. If you don't have an exaust fan, putting a fan in the window might help.

I didn't know about refrigerating them, though, or the cold water thing -- I'd give those a try first.
#8 Old 07-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Kpickell is right. If you refridgerate your onions they shouldn't burn as bad. RUnning them under a cool faucet should also help
#9 Old 07-01-2004, 02:19 AM

The title of this topic and the first sentence made me laugh out loud Hehe, thanks.

I've never heard about the cold water/refrigeration thing, although rinsing the onion and my hands off has helped me a few times. What works for me is to just not breathe through my nose... sounds simplistic but it works for a lot of people I assume, since they recomended it in my cooking class. Between that and cold water I think you'll be all set.
#10 Old 07-01-2004, 04:03 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

This probably doesn't help since you are someone who wears glasses (or so I guess from your current cartoon avatar ) but if you wear contacts while you chop they don't sting your eyes nearly so much.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 07-01-2004, 06:52 AM

I also try not to breathe through my nose when I'm cutting an onion, or I step back a bit to breathe more deeply.
#12 Old 07-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

misq17

i have the same exact problem ! i love onions but my eyes are WAAAY too sensative to chop them, so when i'm cooking for other people i make someone else do it i think that is the best way of dealing with the problem. i've tried cold water, and it doesn't work for me, haven't tried refrigerating yet but it sounds like i'd work better.

and when i need onions for soup or w/e i cut them in a few pieces and put them in a blender with a little bit of water.
#13 Old 07-01-2004, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to put a lit candle by the onion, and that seemed to help a bit.

The other option (which I've been meaning to do), is to buy one of those mini-choppers. They're really cheap and they would be perfect for chopping onions.
#14 Old 07-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, only onions stick to the sides of the dish and the blades don't cut all of them, that's why i add water
#15 Old 07-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

What does a lit candle do?
#16 Old 07-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

On Martha Stewart's show once she said it helped to cut an onion near an open flame, but I can't remember the reasoning behind that theory. She demonstrated cutting the onion near a gas stove, with one of the burners on. A lit candle nearby sounds a lot safer to me, though.
#17 Old 07-01-2004, 08:45 AM

I too laughed at the title. I was like, geez.

I quick run mine under cold water and don't have any problems. Viva la onion!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know why a lit candle works, but I found this on the cook's illustrated site:

Tear-free chopping?

We tested over 20 methods for reducing the number of tears shed while chopping onions. If you wear contact lenses youre in luck theyre one of the surefire methods of preventing tears. The only other thing thats as good as wearing contacts is to sport swimming or skiing goggles, which may make you look like a kitchen terrorist, but is extremely effective. The next best thing is to keep a lit candle beside your cutting board, or if you have a gas stove and counter space beside it, do your onion chopping near a lit burner.
#19 Old 07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Beginner

A lot of people used to chop onions with a lit match in their mouth-- (not that I recommend that) supposedly the sulfur burns off the chemical which makes you cry.

I usually just buy the frozen chopped onions and use those, or if I want something special like vidalias, I chop up a bunch at once and then freeze the rest.
#20 Old 07-01-2004, 10:08 AM

Chew gum while you cut onions. For some reason it works. I know there's a scientific reason because I heard it on Bill Nye the Science Guy one morning...just can't remember it.
#21 Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 PM

i read somewhere if you cut an onion with a piece of bread sticking out of your mouth that will help. Sounds silly, but worth a try...Cutting onions doesn't really bother me but i refrigerate mine so maybe that helps.
#22 Old 07-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

This probably doesn't help since you are someone who wears glasses (or so I guess from your current cartoon avatar ) but if you wear contacts while you chop they don't sting your eyes nearly so much.

Actually, I don't really wear glasses but I have them and I'm supposed to wear them while I'm reading. They look sort of like the ones in my avatar but not that cool. I think the last time I wore them was 2 or 3 years ago .
#23 Old 07-01-2004, 04:10 PM

I've heard soaking them in ice cold water after you cut off the ends and peeling them helps. It's also a good idea to put them in the freezer for I think 20-30 min before you want to chop them.
#24 Old 07-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Always cut them with a very sharp knife. A dull knife will damage more cell walls which makes crying problem worse. A cold onion and a cold knife help a lot, too.
#25 Old 07-01-2004, 05:48 PM

If you had a lot of onions, I'm not sure this would work, but I cut mine under water. Just fill up a dishwash tub (the same I use to wash the veggies) and put my cutting board in the bottom, no tears!
#26 Old 07-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I chop a fair amount of onions but seem to avoid eye sting. I dunno why.

maybe because I keep them in the fridge.

I think I read somewhere that if you put the onion in the microwave and "nuke" it for 15 to 20 seconds, that will reduce your tears.

I have not tried this.
#27 Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I would get quite teary when I used to cut onions at my mom's house because she keeps hers under the counter. But I never have any problems with mine because I keep them in the fridge. They say they don't taste as fresh and pungent when they're refridgerated which is why most people don't, but they taste fine to me.
#28 Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Gee, you're all quite creative. My solution to this was to just bend down where I was nearly eye-level with the cutting board (and onion) since the fumes don't really float sideways. Always works for me. I also try to use red onions instead since they don't seem to cause the same problem.
#29 Old 07-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

bah!

A onion is suppose to be that way! suck it up and chop right in.

Hell, I eat them like apples.

p.s.

I also thought this was, what I like to call, a "veggie gone mad" thread. Afraid cutting veggies caused them pain.
#30 Old 07-03-2004, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

What usually works for me--and I know this sounds crazy--is this: cut the onion in half so that the hairy part is on one half and the long tubular part is on the other. Now cut the one with the tubular part first.

That's it. I used to cry all the time with onions and now I almost never do, unless it's a super-potent one. Very strange.

I can't believe there are people refrigerating their onions! They get all rubbery and lose their snap--bleah.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page