TSP vs. TVP - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rincaro
  • 1 Post By borealis
  • 1 Post By Artichoke47

#1 Old 06-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I cannot seem to find TVP in my area, only TSP. Are they nearly the same thing? Do they smell/taste different? Im not a huge fan of soy (I think it smells funny and has a strange after taste). So I just wanted to know if they were the same thing. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

TVP is copyrighted name for TSP. So yes, it's the same thing.
#3 Old 06-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh and a good (not funny tasting) is taco filling. Mix one cup of boiling water with 1/2 pkg of old el paso taco seasoning. Add one cup of TSP/TVP and cover for 15 minutes. Stir it up and serve it with taco fixings. Nummy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2004, 03:37 PM

is TVP cheaper than just buying the meat crumbles?
#5 Old 06-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Banned

I'm not sure they are the same thing. If it's textured soy protein, wouldn't that be textured bean protein, not "vegetable" protein - or are beans considered vegetables?
#6 Old 06-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

is TVP cheaper than just buying the meat crumbles?

When you can get TVP in bulk, it's usually incredibly cheap. My co-op has chunks and granules. They have to be rehydrated with hot water or broth. The chunks are kind dog-kibble looking, but the granules work good in a lot of dishes, like the above-mentioned taco filling.
Mr. H. likes this.
#7 Old 06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

Also, TVP tastes nothing like soy to me.
Mr. H. likes this.
#8 Old 06-28-2004, 06:08 PM

TVP is the brand name for TSP made by Archer-Daniels-Midland. You can sometimes find organic TSP, but TVP is a GM product.
#9 Old 06-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

TVP is GM????? Argh!
#10 Old 06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

so... I cooked the TSP, and used worstshier (sp?) sauce to give it flavor. It was kinda... chewy... I dunno, it reminds me of something but I cant think of what... but Im not so sure I liked it... maybe it was the word "soy" in the title that I didnt like, cause I have never liked something with soy in it. Anyway, someone told me soy is bad, but I havent looked into it enough.

Well question time.

Was I supposed to hydrate the TSP and then fry it? (which I tried and it didnt brown or anything like meat does... I tried to add oil since I guess it has no fat)

what should I flavour it with to make it taste like beef?

And the flakes were really small... they didnt get much bigger either. So I tried to use them in sheperds pie... and they looked scary, so I put some lentels in and just a little bit of TSP... and the lentels sucked in sheperds pie... I need better uses for this stuff...
#11 Old 06-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I also rehydrate it (one cup tvp to 7/8 cup of boiling water) and then mix it in with a box of Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix (which is vegan). I think it works best when used as a ground meat sub.
#12 Old 06-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Was that vegetarian Worcestershire sauce? Don't forget that those sauces normally have anchovies.
#13 Old 06-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by citronella49 View Post

so... I cooked the TSP, and used worstshier (sp?) sauce to give it flavor.

totally off topic but don't most wosthershire sauces contain anchovies? i don't know if you care about this, but i thought i would mention it.
#14 Old 06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

oh yeah it was vegetarian, amy's brand... Id never had that type of sauce before, so I dont know what the non vegetarian type tastes like, but it seemed rather bland.
#15 Old 06-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually use coffee to reconstitute my TVP before I add it to recipes... it gives it a deeper flavor. You could also try vegan "beef" boullion.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#16 Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

ETA: Of the vegetarian worchestshire sauces Ive tried I really didn't care for Annie's. It had it's own flavor versus that of the sauce that I loved as a child (that and garlic salt were the only thing that could get me to finish many of my mom's beef dishes!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

Oh and a good (not funny tasting) is taco filling. Mix one cup of boiling water with 1/2 pkg of old el paso taco seasoning. Add one cup of TSP/TVP and cover for 15 minutes. Stir it up and serve it with taco fixings. Nummy!

That's a really good idea! I'm going to try that soon!

TVP and TSP are the same thing. Vegetable protein and vegetable oil are just fancy ways of saying soy protein and soy oil.

I think it's because most companies feel customers would be scared by the word "soy" however soy sauce is rather popular and many people don't make that connection at all!
#17 Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I actually use coffee to reconstitute my TVP before I add it to recipes... it gives it a deeper flavor. You could also try vegan "beef" boullion.

Interesting! It doesn't taste "coffeeish" at all? Do you use regular strength, or watered down?
#18 Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 AM

So this might sound off topic but I have TSP & I don't really like the taste of it when I rehydrate it but I want to eat it since it's filled with protein & what not. I can see it being delish (if I had flavoring spices, like the taco mix someone mentioned or if added tsp in soup). 

So... Does anyone have any cool recipes they would like to share? Or what I could do to make it taste better. Protein is important!

Thanks a lot! smiley.gif

#19 Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 AM

I saute mine with chopped mushrooms and onions. Bragg -Liquid Soy Seasoning is another way to give it some flavor. Tomato sauce and Italian seasoning and then stuffed into red bell peppers and baked also makes us happy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page