Using squash seeds? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By brookgirl
  • 1 Post By rhubarbriot

#1 Old 02-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Oryzatarian

Using squash seeds?

Are there any tricks to making squash seeds easier to use?

The default seems to be roasting and shelling them, but thats a fair bit of work for each seed.
I've shelled them without roasting and thats even more work, lol, but a dozen are a interesting addition to a bowl of rice.
Sprouting worked, as the shell pops loose when they sprout. But by the time that happens they are on the verge of being too stringy.
If I could grind them to a paste I'd try making soy-free miso or something but I dont have a grinder that good.
Any innovative approaches I havent thought of?

I like to use every part of the squash plant: flowers, leaves, peeled vine, placental tissue (the 'guts') but my pickle jar of seeds just keeps getting fuller and fuller.

Perhaps food-processor them and include in vegetable stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Vegan Newbie 2016

when we used to carve pumpkins, we would roast and eat the whole shell/seed! I didnt realize you were supposed to get the outer shell off somehow?
#3 Old 02-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Beginner

I don't shell them. I like the crunch the shell provides. Other than sprinkling them on top of soups, salads, bowls, baked goods, and wraps, I can't think of another use for them. Maybe you could try soaking them and making squash seed milk? Or maybe even a seed butter!
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Oryzatarian

Yeah, pumpkin seeds I can eat without shelling. Many squashes, tho, have much harder shells.

Squash seed milk is a good idea.
#5 Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM

I've roasted squash seeds just like you'd do pumpkin seeds, and while they're fine and taste good, the shells are much tougher so they're harder to eat without feeling like you're chewing on your cud.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page