VeggieBoards banner

Drinking too much soya milk?

24K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
I've been drinking 0.5L-1L soya milk almost everyday for the past couple of days. I just love the taste of it,even if it tastes like grass. But really now,it's awesome! Am i drinking too much? Is it okay to drink this much? Please someone clarify me before i won't start feeling guilty while drinking this cute little cup of milk :)

#2 ·
Hi Edwin,

I would stick with lowfat or nonfat soymilk. Regular soymilk obtains 30% of its calories from fat, which is kind of high: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/8010/2

You may have heard that consuming soymilk can cause sexual problems for men. This only occurs at very high consumption levels. The Chicago Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics makes this statement about soy consumption and male sexual health:

"In two case studies, men consuming extremely high amounts of soy (14-20 servings per day) developed tender, enlarged breast tissue. In contrast, evidence from randomized controlled trials indicates that soyfoods (up to six servings per day) do not affect testosterone or estrogen levels and isoflavone consumption does not affect sperm concentration, count or motility."

Link to this article: http://eatrightchicago.org/how-safe-is-soy/

Since you are drinking 1L of soymilk per day (about four servings), this shouldn't be a problem for you.

#4 ·
You can look at the nutrition label on your soya + rice milk. It will tell you how much fat and calories it contains. Fat isn't evil. However, because fat is so calorie-dense (9 calories per grams, compared to only 4 calories per gram for protein or carbohydrate), you can accidentally end up overconsuming calories if you eat a lot of high-fat foods.

Don't stress - 4 servings per day of your soya milk is OK.

#5 ·
I drink rice milk or soya milk every day (200mls)...Sometimes I drink more...Looks like we are both within safe limits though :)

#6 · (Edited)
Before I start, I want to state that I'm not hating on soy. I love the stuff, but if it isn't fermented, I do limit myself to 3-5 servings a week (which is hard!) I'm sure you've heard the rabble rousers out there saying that soy is full of estrogen and will wreak havoc on your hormones. While it's true that soy does contain a small amount of an estrogen-imitating compound (even beer has more phytoestrogen) you'd have to eat a lot for your body to process it in the same way as estrogen. If you eat enough, though, it is possible for it to affect your hormones. That's why women going through menopause are often told to eat a lot of soy. My nutritionist once told me that once you eat or drink the equivalent of a gallon/four liters of soy milk a day is when your body is going to start noticing the phytoestrogen. I know you're only drinking 0.5-1 liter a day, but if you're also eating soy products or eating food with soy additives, you may soon start to notice an adverse effect. I would suggest trying to cut back a little if not switching to a soy-free plant milk entirely.

I did experience negative effects from eating and drinking too much soy when I first started experimenting with veganism at sixteen. It's probably a little tmi to share here, but it was very unpleasant. As I said, though, it didn't turn me off soy entirely. It's an incredibly healthy food, and I still enjoy tofu, tempeh, and edamame on a regular basis.

#7 ·
I would suggest trying to cut back a little if not switching to a soy-free plant milk entirely.
I agree there's no harm using other plant-based milks :)

#16 ·
I wouldn't worry about the soy milk. If you are having any problem with gaining too much weight, it's better not to get too many calories in liquid form, but otherwise there is no reason to avoid soy milk. It actually contains a fair amount of protein, and counts as a serving of legumes. I wouldn't drink soy milk to the exclusion of other foods, but what you are describing is approximately 2-4 servings per day, which is pretty reasonable.

#17 ·
I wouldn't feel at all guilty! Soymilk is a very healthy food, lots of protein. Full fat is fine; it is difficult for vegans to get enough calories/fat in their diets for the most part.

The meat and cow milk industries have been frantically funding studies for years in an attempt to discredit soy because they are losing market share to soy foods. This means that people are switching from animal to plant-based! Celebrate! :)

Attempts to frighten people out of eating soy and into eating lots of meat and dairy are done by the ridiculous Mercola people amongst others. The whole paleo diet craze is a similar tactic to increase meat and dairy consumption.

#18 ·
If you drink it that often I think you'll love a soy milk machine!
I got this from amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Soyajoy-G4-Mi...lk+maker&pebp=1421597634538&peasin=B00ALM5ZFM

To make soy milk you just soak 1/2 cup soy beans, rinse, add to water line in machine and push the "soaked beans" button. In 30 minutes you have about 2 quarts (1.7 liters actually). That's about 35 cents.
You then strain the okara (pulp) which makes great burgers. I make all kinds of patties with grains, veggies, spices with that. Also add to baked goods like bread. You can also throw it the compost for added nitrogen if you don't feel like using it. Or a face scrub. So many skin products use soy I do this now. Okara and sugar scrub.
I often add a handful of almonds to make it creamy. Or some rice.
You can also make raw nut milks. It does pureed soups with fresh veggies too. There's recipes for grain porridges, but I haven't tried that yet.
It's very to clean!
I chose this brand because it has lots of info in English.

Homemade non dairy milk won't have the added vitamins you often (not always) get in store bought, but it's so much cheaper to just take a B12, D and what ever else they add.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/6-health-benefits-of-soy-milk.html#b

#20 ·
Sometimes I add a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder and sugar to a cup when I make it. It's hot enough to just stir in.

You can even use the instant pudding mixes (all I've seen are vegan with questionable sourced sugar). You can do that with hot soy milk, just not cold

#21 ·
I think all the soy-fear is largely a paper tiger. I regularly eat tofu, soy burgers, and the like, and have no health issues. My husband and son look healthy as well, so I cant say its effecting them negatively either.

I dont drink many calories ( I prefer to eat them), but that is personal preference. Soy milk is a healthy beverage and good protien/healthy fat source.

#22 ·
I agree...I think you would have to drink litres and litres every day to have any kind of issue at all..

Reactions: melimomTARDIS
#23 ·
Yes, it is completely ok to consume that much. Soy has been highlighted for all the health benefits it has, with oriental health always being pointed to since soy is common place in their diet.

What isn't as well heard about is HOW they use soy. They most often use it in the same amounts as we use condiments, like ketchup. With that in mind, problems of too much soy in our diets can quickly outweigh the benefits.

In addition to this, it seems that soy is among the most common allergens, joining the ranks of wheat, dairy, and corn. These are the big four that it is best to avoid, or only consume in small amounts.

#24 ·
it seems that soy is among the most common allergens, joining the ranks of wheat, dairy, and corn. These are the big four that it is best to avoid, or only consume in small amounts.
Of course if you are not allergic to or intolerant of these things then there is no need to avoid them at all...

#29 ·
Hi Kate,

Soy is not a problem for men, unless daily consumption is very high. The fear over the feminizing effects of soy is based on only 2 peer-reviewed studies:

In one study, a 60 year old man experienced enlarged breast tissue as the result of consuming 3 liters of soy milk per day for several months. Here is a link to that study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18558591/

In the other study, a 19 year old man experienced erectile dysfunction and loss of libido after consuming large quantities of soy products for a prolonged period of time: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21353476/

Regarding soy foods and the risk of women's breast cancer, the American Cancer Society makes this statement: https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/soy-and-cancer-risk-our-experts-advice.html

#28 ·
It all depends upon your fitness and body. Everybody is different, if you see some side effects like constipation, bloating, or any intestinal issue then you must limit your intake. Good taste depends upon good quality of milk, for this I often get from , but I personally don't eat much, one to two servings are good enough for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.