VeggieBoards banner

Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ethelsimmons 
#1 ·
Has anyone read this book, and tried the recipes? I've had it out from the library, and tried to make the rejuvac, with no success. I wondered if anyone else has.

#6 · (Edited)
I've had some hits and misses with this cookbook. Overall, I think it's genius and her devotion to vegan cheese is evident.

I bought my rejuvac from amazon, but have had some online friends have success with it with quinoa.

The recipes mostly take planning and some of the ingredients aren't things you would find every day.

For the most part the cheeses don't taste good on their own, but in a dish or sandwich pretty good.

The meltable cheeses are decent and indeed do make great grilled cheese sandwiches or crumbled over chips and salsa. I couldn't tell any taste different between the munster and the jack cheese.

sun-dried tomato and basil cheese - Not bad. This was my first cheese using rejuvelac and that flavor did indeed make this cheese sharp. It starts with the basic cashew cheese recipe and adds to it. The flavor is very much like a goat type cheese and is o.k. I would only serve this to another vegan, but I think it's in the category of food only a vegan would like.

low-fat chipotle cheese sauce - delicious served over chips and probably my favorite

I made the sharp cheddar cheese and not sure what I did wrong, but it's messed up. It had the consistency of a nut butter and really didn't look or taste like a cheddar at all. It spread nicely on crackers and tasted o.k. But I would say it's a fail. I'm not sure if I cooked it properly or what.

stuffed shells - Pretty good. This uses the almond ricotta cheese that is doctored up with garlic, basil, lemon juice and nutritional yeast for a good flavor. I was a bit underwhelmed because I wanted it to be five-star amazing and it was 3.5 stars real good.

#8 ·
I've had some hits and misses with this cookbook. Overall, I think it's genius and her devotion to vegan cheese is evident.

I bought my rejuvac from amazon, but have had some online friends have success with it with quinoa.

The recipes mostly take planning and some of the ingredients aren't things you would find every day.

For the most part the cheeses don't taste good on their own, but in a dish or sandwich pretty good.

The meltable cheeses are decent and indeed do make great grilled cheese sandwiches or crumbled over chips and salsa. I couldn't tell any taste different between the munster and the jack cheese.

sun-dried tomato and basil cheese - Not bad. This was my first cheese using rejuvelac and that flavor did indeed make this cheese sharp. It starts with the basic cashew cheese recipe and adds to it. The flavor is very much like a goat type cheese and is o.k. I would only serve this to another vegan, but I think it's in the category of food only a vegan would like.

low-fat chipotle cheese sauce - delicious served over chips and probably my favorite

I made the sharp cheddar cheese and not sure what I did wrong, but it's messed up. It had the consistency of a nut butter and really didn't look or taste like a cheddar at all. It spread nicely on crackers and tasted o.k. But I would say it's a fail. I'm not sure if I cooked it properly or what.

stuffed shells - Pretty good. This uses the almond ricotta cheese that is doctored up with garlic, basil, lemon juice and nutritional yeast for a good flavor. I was a bit underwhelmed because I wanted it to be five-star amazing and it was 3.5 stars real good.
Oh, thank you. I was hoping someone had done a little more that rejuvac. ;)

Reactions: Tweety
#7 ·
Agree with Tweet on Chipotle Cheese Sauce

That cheese sauce is great. I have tried to make the rejuvelac once, from quinoa, without success. What I have had great success with, and what has become a regular in our house, is her Boursin recipe. It start with homemade soy cashew yogurt. As the other poster said, doing these take some planning. I make the seasoning of the Boursin a little easier by using Frontier brand Fines Herbs (I get mine at natural grocers) and Litehouse brand freeze dried garlic (from the company or from Target or Walmart much less than Amazon). We love it on bread, on potatoes, with veggies. A winner!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.