Need Birthday Cake Recipe ~HELP~ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 AM

Ok I have an 11 month old and he wont be a year for almost a month, but I need a birthday cake recipe that is Eggless Dairyless and Sugarless.

I bought some Applesauce and Flour, but what else do I need?

I dont care much about how it tastes or what it looks like because he will be the only one eating it and he doesnt really like to eat food anyway, so I figure he will only trash it.

Are there any recipes that will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2004, 11:54 AM

Sugarless? Oh that's just depressing
#3 Old 06-14-2004, 11:58 AM

LOL, why depressing? That is what the applesauce is for, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2004, 12:06 PM

Too much applesauce makes cakes soggy. It's a birthday cake for a kid; it's supposed to be sweet and naughty.

Might as well make him a carrot cake.
#5 Old 06-14-2004, 12:12 PM

hmmm, are there any good carot cake recipes that are Eggless Dairyless and Sugarless?

(I guess I sound crazy wanting to make him a cake like this, but he is exclusively breastfed and has only really had sweet potatoes and peas, so I am uneasy about introducing all that other stuff so soon)
#6 Old 06-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

O4MB, I looked around on VegWeb, and found some recipes that might fit what you're looking for.

http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/1459.shtml

http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/fruit-cake.shtml

http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/4665.shtml

I don't know if they will work or not, but it's a start.
#7 Old 06-14-2004, 02:06 PM

Then just bake him an apple. That would be easier then eating flour when you've never eaten it before
#8 Old 06-14-2004, 02:18 PM

well I got organic brown rice flour, which is what his cereal is. He eats puffed rice cereal while the other daycare kids eat cheerios.
#9 Old 06-14-2004, 05:30 PM

Ok I think I have my recipe, it is a carrot cake recipe for children and I am going to use a few small substitutes, so all I need to do is test it!

I hope it turns out good.
#10 Old 06-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

www.vitalita.com has a vegan dessert cookbook in which many of the recipes use brown rice syrup and maple syrup instead of sugar.
#11 Old 06-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

O4MB, have you ever baked with brown rice flour before? on it's own it makes for a really (and i mean REALLY) dense product. everything i've tried to make with it has come out like a thick, very heavy, stone. you must cut it with something like tapioca starch or arrowroot powder, if you are trying to avoid wheat/gluten.

also, i don't believe that maple syrup or brown rice syrup are really all *that* much better for your wee one than sugar. they contain TRACE amounts of micronutrients and therefore aren't absorbed quite as quickly as sugar, but they are still sugar. if you are really dead-set against giving your child anything with blood-sugar spiking stuff in it, i would look into making a cake with stevia. it's expensive, but you only need a little bit to make things sweet for your wee one.

honestly, if you don't want your baby to develop a sweet tooth so early in life, why bother with a cake at all? you could serve a wonderful fruit salad with all the things that are coming into season now that it's summer. i just don't really get why you'd want to make a cake that (frankly) probably is going to taste icky, that you say the baby will just throw around, and that you can't find a suitable recipe for. cakes are for richness and yumminess and sugary nastiness. i say pick a different birthday treat that everyone can enjoy and that is in line with your current values regarding baby's diet and breastfeeding.

good luck.
#12 Old 06-14-2004, 05:58 PM

Baked apples
#13 Old 06-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Baked apples

yes, krista. baked apples are a good idea.
#14 Old 06-14-2004, 08:13 PM

Well I am not trying to cut his sweet tooth, I just dont want any processed sugars introduced to him right now, I mean we havent even gotten into grapes yet, LOL

Anyway breastmilk is as sweet as sugar so I dont think it would matter, LOL, I just dont want to make him a cake with too many processed items.

I have found the cake I want and it is all natural sweeteners.

It is a carrot cake with of course carrots, organic pressed apple juice, organic brown rice flour(which I am going to make a practice cake and if it does turn out too heavy, then I will use something lighter or something). Bananas and applesauce and a few other ingredients.

I want to avoid all added sweeteners and only use what is necessary, because I want it to be a simple cake. He eats sweet potatoes and pears and bananas sometimes and they are all naturally sweet and to me the pears are sweeter than sugar.

Anyway, thanks for the help! Hopefully I can make something that will take a good picture and get really messy in(because isnt that what the birthday cake at the party is about? LOL)
#15 Old 06-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

heh. well, where i come from, the birthday cake is for "eating", mostly.

but i wish you luck. let me know how it turns out, in fact. i have a friend with a lot of food allergies who would love a good eggless dairyless sugarless straight brown rice flour cake.
#16 Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

yes, krista. baked apples are a good idea.

With frosting

Sorry, getting distracted....
#17 Old 06-14-2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

heh. well, where i come from, the birthday cake is for "eating", mostly.

but i wish you luck. let me know how it turns out, in fact. i have a friend with a lot of food allergies who would love a good eggless dairyless sugarless straight brown rice flour cake.

Ohh well then we must be in 2 different worlds, LOL, the 1st and sometimes the 2nd year birthday cake is usually just for them to dig in and get all messy with, it makes adorable pictures and is SO much fun to watch them do it!

Ill let you know how it comes out though, hopefully good, though since I totally doubt he will eat it(he just doesnt like eating much, loves to play in his food though, LOL) it may or may not taste good, LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page