Grilling stuff - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so happy My parents bought me a little charcoal grill so that I can make grilled veggies and stuff (the big grill has all meat crap all over it). So, what do you like to grill? I've heard grilled tofu is good but I haven't got a clue how to do it, do you marinade to tofu first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, marinade first in an oily marinade. It is good cubed and put on a stick with other vegetables kabob style.
#3 Old 05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Grilled onions and carrtos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM

I like to put a bunch of veggies in tin foil with rosemary and/or whatever seasonings you like and also butter if you're vegetarian, or I think olive oil might go nicely if your vegan. Then you seal it all in and grill it until the veggies are how you like em. I don't like em to get real soft, but some people do, so whatever your preference is...
#5 Old 05-31-2004, 05:27 PM

I'm going to get myself a small George Foreman grill next time they go down to $38 at my work!

I've begged my Mum to get the family size one everytime they are on special, but I didn't think about the fact it would go all greasy and animal fatty..

ew..

I love grilled stuff XD.

Urm potatos would be good!
#6 Old 05-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I *love* my George Foreman grill. Grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches are really good....and vegan grilled cheese...mmmm....

I've never been able to do a really good grilled tofu, though. Does anyone have any tips?
#7 Old 05-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I've never been able to do a really good grilled tofu, though. Does anyone have any tips?

I really like the 'Tofu Steak' from 'Veggie Works Vegan Cookbook' by Mark Rasmussen. He has a whole grilling section in his book.
#8 Old 05-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

good veggies for grilling are zucchini/squash, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, red onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic cloves...

and of course, veggie burgers and veggie dogs!
#9 Old 05-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I invented something delicious last weekend. Cut a big eggplant into thick circles, then cut into them to make a little pouch in the middle. Stuff it with basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Grill. Savor.

Great as a "burger" with a slice of tomato!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 05-31-2004, 07:18 PM

that sounds good. Good enough to take my george foreman grill out and grill something other than veggie burgers. I bet it would make some nice grilled "fajitas". Grill some of those "chik'n" or "beef" strips with onions and peppers, grab a tortilla, maybe make some rice, and you've got a meal.
#11 Old 05-31-2004, 08:57 PM

Danny, I love your new picture, and I have an idea for you....

Around Christmas, Wal*mart always has off-brand Georges,

the big size for $20.00 and also check eaby for cheap ones.

I have been meaning to grill some tofu on it. I have an idea

on that also, to not close the lid that way the marinade is not

squished out. I have made marinated veggies for a roasted

veggie pizza and I have made grilled bellos on it. I will

use it again soon as I have not used it in forever. I used

to make paninis on it too.
#12 Old 05-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe no one has mentioned....

*Grilled portabellos!

Remove the stem and scoop out the gills of a portabello with a spoon. Brush with any sort of spiced oil you have and grill, cap side down. Brush the gill side while the cap is cooking and turrn over the mushroom(s) after about 5-7 minutes. I haven't figured out what to do with the stems because I keep eating them after I pull them off the mushrooms.

*Grilled aspearagus.

The trick here is to skewer them together, like a little raft but before you do that, soak your skewers (if they're wood) for about 30+ minutes. After you have your "rafts", brush with your spice oil and grill until sweetly tender, about 2-3 minutes while brushing the other side. Turn and grill for another 2-3 minutes.

*Grilled onions.

Slice these somewhat thick and skewer them (so the rings don't come apart). Grill until marks form and the onion goes somewhat soft - maybe about 3+ minutes (I rarely time these things). Turn and repeat. Remove the skewers before serving.

*Grilled corn.

Peel back the husks, but don't remove them. Desilk the cobs and brush liberally with either a spiced oil or a compound butter made with Earth Balance and whatever spices you like. Pull the husks back to place and tie them with a bit of husk string (usually one or two husk leaves fall off in the desilking which are great to tear into strips for ties). Cook for 5 minutes, roll them a quarter turn, cook for another 5 and do this until all 4 sides are cooked - about 20 minutes total.

*Grilled fruit.

Really sugary fruit like peaches, pineapple, etc can be grilled quite well (hint: if you can bake it, chances are it will grill well, too). Be sure to only grill for a few minutes, and don't let them go to mush. Serve with a scoop of Soy Delicious on top or a drizzle of maple syrup.

Someone once said that if you can roast it, bake it, or fry it, chances are it will be great grilled.
#13 Old 05-31-2004, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimngir View Post

Danny, I love your new picture, and I have an idea for you....

Around Christmas, Wal*mart always has off-brand Georges,

the big size for $20.00 and also check eaby for cheap ones.

Heh thanks!

Urm, that would work.. buttt.

1)I don't have the patience to wait until christmas

and 2) (the main one) I don't live in America, we don't wal-mart or other brands copying GF. :P
#14 Old 05-31-2004, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard grilled fresh figs are really delicious. You grill them for a couple of minutes until they start to ooze juices.
#15 Old 05-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

this thread made me hungry so I'm grilling some vege skewers right now (carrot, onion, mushroom, capsicum)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page