Block of tempeh - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Block of tempeh

I just casually walked into an asian store in my city and stumbled upon blocks of tempeh. This may sound like a normal thing but it's the second time I find tempeh in my country. And now I've found it in my town!

Do you have any advice on how to cook it? I've only tasted Tofurkey's maple bacon tempeh and loved it. I don't know what to do with it. Do I slice it first? Boil it?

Btw, the tempeh was super cheap and I was in vegan heaven the whole afternoon after finding it

(I know I can google, and I will, but I always find it useful to hear directly from people instead of reading a recipe)

Last edited by Orchid; 07-23-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Cut into thick strips, boil for 10 minutes, sauté in sauce on cast iron skillet 5 minutes on each side. Deeeelicious.
#3 Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM

I can eat trempeh so many ways, I usually prefer the texture and overall taste when I steam it first. It becomes tender in this soft pillowy way and removes any of the bitterness in the block.

This also opens the pores and allows marinade to penetrate it more easily. Use a combo of crushed garlic, soy sauce, oil, and spices specific to the flavor profile you're looking for. Let it sit for a few hours then cut to your desired size and fry, bake, or broil.

I was also a big fan of this chili during the colder months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I used to cut strips, dredge them in flour, deep fry, serve with the Indonesian hot sauce that was on clearance because no one else ever bought it. I haven't done that in years. I could see it working as part of a salad as an entree rather than a snack.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to WalkTheWalk
You dont' want to overcook it cause it's already fermented and can even eat it like that. But if you find some pure organic tempeh let me know. It's hard to find and try to avoid GMO soybeans.
#6 Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWalk View Post
You dont' want to overcook it cause it's already fermented and can even eat it like that. But if you find some pure organic tempeh let me know. It's hard to find and try to avoid GMO soybeans.
Soyboy tempeh from the Rochester, NY area is organic, but it's impossible to find out of state.
#7 Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Check out the "look inside" feature of this book-
http://www.amazon.com/Tempeh-Cookboo...empeh+cookbook
I got it from my library and bought a used one I like it so much.
The recipes are very well thought out, like how to manage cooking time for efficiency, that you can sub other things for tempeh.

Anyway, I've taken quite a liking to tempeh. I don't even bother with simmering anymore, though I do rinse.
I also use a hot lightly greased cast iron (for everything). I slice it on the diagonal, or crumble, put in a hot pan, then pour a mix of Braggs aminos (or soy sauce, teriyaki)a bit of liquid smoke, a bit of syrup, and about the same amount as everything else of water, pour over and cook till absorbed.
I used to love Reuben sandwiches-sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, melted cheese and corned bxxf. With veganization of vegan mayo and Daiya cheddar and tempeh, oh mercy that is good. Grilled on rye.
kitchenguy likes this.
#8 Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWalk View Post
Only 2% of soybeans grown for human consuption are GMO.
Of course non gmo doesn't necessarily mean organic, however organic does mean non gmo.
Trader Joes is where I buy mine (at $1.99) and it's organic.

Where on earth are you?

BTW-Japan is one country that doesn't allow GMO crops.

I would not want to eat it out of the pack!
I guess cooking ruins some the fermentations goodness?
#9 Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I used to love Reuben sandwiches-sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, melted cheese and corned bxxf. With veganization of vegan mayo and Daiya cheddar and tempeh, oh mercy that is good. Grilled on rye.
Tempeh Reubens are my spot, I drool thinking about it.
#10 Old 08-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Semi-lurker

Cuban sandwiches made with Cuban bread, grilled tempeh, grilled portabellas, lettuce, tomatoes, and Matook's Calypso sauce. Yum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#11 Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenguy View Post
Tempeh Reubens are my spot, I drool thinking about it.
Ha ha you beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing.

I like to cube it and saute it with fresh pineapple, broccoli, and onion along with juice from the pineapple and then serve over rice.

I have also crumbled it up and sauteed it with kale or collard greens, a little lemon juice and braggs, some ginger, and eaten it that way for breakfast with maybe a side of toast or fruit.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#12 Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Beginner

My husband is a big fan of bbq tempeh... heat it somehow (steam, panfry, bake, etc), cover in bbq sauce, devour.
#13 Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I steam it a bit first to reduce bitterness, as others have mentioned.
Then I cook it in a pan to brown it slightly, and then dump hot sauce on it. I put it over a big bowl of lettuce along with some vegan ranch, and call it a buffalo tempeh salad.

I've made tempeh bacon before- easy to find a recipe on Google.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page