Granola Bars and such... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Beginner

I'm going to be living in a home in Ghana this summer and hear that, while their diets are mainly starch based, they are not vegan-friendly because the put meat in with the potato mixes.

I plan to bring a bunch of granola bars/energy bars to make up for the calories that potatoes lack (i'll be doing manual labor all day and dont want to get faint.) Any good ones that you guys know of??? Can i buy them in bulk?? (i need about 2/day for 5 weeks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Clif and Luna bars are vegan. Clif bars have more calories than Luna Bars, and they are pretty tasty too. I think you can buy then in boxes of 15 or 20, www.clifbar.com. I think you may also be able to buy them in cases, ask your healthfood store if they can cut you a deal. If you like choclate, I personally reccomend the chocolate brownie. All the flavors are pretty good though!

What will you be doing in Ghana this summer? It sounds really cool, is it a place in...Africa?
#3 Old 05-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Nature Valley granola bars are yummy, cheap, and vegan (except for the yogurt covered ones). http://www.naturevalley.com/

Make sure you bring lots of nuts and seeds to much on too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Clif bars travel better than luna bars and are really, really filling. The coating on luna bars (chocolate or whatever) gets very melty and messy.
#5 Old 05-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylea View Post

Nature Valley granola bars are yummy, cheap, and vegan (except for the yogurt covered ones).

I eat the Nature Valley Granola Bars all the time...just tried the chewy mixed berry ones though and they are not a favorite!!! All of the ones I have seen have honey in them though...I don't know if you are avoiding that!!
#6 Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 AM

I agree with the clif bars....

My fave is Cool Mint Chocolate!

Check www.amazon.com

and www.ebay.com for cheap ones.

Sometimes you can get cases for cheap.
#7 Old 05-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

you cant just eat these for 5 weeks. all that sugar could cause you some serious problems. its good you are bringing them as a backup but you should try to eat other healthier food while there.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#8 Old 05-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Odwalla bars, which you can get by the case and are pretty filling. I would suggest getting a few cases of the Mori-Nu tofu, or whatever the name of the tofu is that doesn't have to be refrigerated.
#9 Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 PM

Another vote for Nature Valley Bars (the crunchy ones), but....there are *several* that are not vegan (milk products and/or honey). The Cinnamon ones (others too) are vegan...I could wallpaper my house with wrappers from all the ones I've eaten.

I also *really* like the Chocolate/Cherry Luna Bars...yummmm.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

Clif bars travel better than luna bars and are really, really filling. The coating on luna bars (chocolate or whatever) gets very melty and messy.

Learned that lesson.

I vote for the Nature Valley bars. That would be the most practical, money-wise. And they're yummy.
#11 Old 05-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Just out of curiousity, are you really going to be able to pack that many granola bars? How much luggage are you bringing?

Another point: are you staying with family or people you know, or you going on some kind of service trip? If it's the former, you may be able to swing this, but please bear in mind that your hosts might be way insulted at your bringing your own food. Culturally, they may not understand vegetarianism the way Westerners do.

I know you just asked one question and I'm sorry if it's rude of me to offer unsolicited advice like this, but please consider these things if you haven't already.
#12 Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

peanut butter toffee clif bars rock!
#13 Old 05-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Nature valley are so good. Be sute to check the ingredients first!
#14 Old 05-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

If you're relying on these bars for the bulk of your nutritional intake each day, I'd go with the Clif or Luna bars instead of the Nature Valley type. Although the Nature Valley (Maple and Brown Sugar, Peanut Butter, Toasted Almond, and Cinnamon are all vegan) are cheaper and a bit more lightweight, the Clif and Luna Bars (all flavors of each are vegan) are more nutritionally balanced and have less sugar.

It's true about the meltiness of the Luna Bars. The Clifs are probably the best way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page