VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Vegan breakfast recipe that freezes well? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/151074-vegan-breakfast-recipe-freezes-well.html)

anole 07-11-2014 09:51 AM

Vegan breakfast recipe that freezes well?

Anyone have some good vegan breakfast recipes that can be made, frozen, then re-heated in a microwave?

I'm most interested in breakfast sandwiches and bowls... stuff that will feel hearty and filling for an omni.
Oatmeal, chia pudding, and anything similar aren't under consideration (...yet...).

Naturebound 07-11-2014 04:40 PM

Vegan style homemade pancakes can be wrapped individually in a freezer ziplock bag and rewarmed and then just add toppings after microwaving them (such as peanut butter, fresh fruit, maple syrup etc). I have done it with buckwheat banana pancakes and plain ones.

BBQ tempeh sandwiches with onion and red bell pepper slices in them. Ezekiel style bread freezes and warms very well and I have frozen tempeh slices (or a whole package of tempeh) many times and reheated in the microwave. You could throw in lettuce or sauted cabbage to the warmed sandwich.

Never tried it but I imagine a homemade burrito with some rice, beans, salsa, onion, and spices stuffed in a tortilla and wrapped and then tightly wrapped in tin foil and put in the freezer would rewarm well?

Werewolf Girl 07-11-2014 04:45 PM

How do you feel about breakfast burritos? They freeze very well and you can make a bunch in advance, here's a nice simple recipe: http://veganfreezerexchange.blogspot...24-1-bowl.html

But the great thing about breakfast burritos is you don't really have to follow a recipe, just put whatever things you like in tortillas then fold them up and freeze them. Personally I'm a big fan of just scrambled tofu, Daiya cheese and peppers and onions in mine, it's nice and simple but very satisfying.

Crochetlove 07-11-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturebound (Post 3349538)
Never tried it but I imagine a homemade burrito with some rice, beans, salsa, onion, and spices stuffed in a tortilla and wrapped and then tightly wrapped in tin foil and put in the freezer would rewarm well?

Burritos stored this way reheat great in the microwave! I make burritos in bulk (80 at a time!) and reheat them for quick mini-meals. Smaller burritos work better than large ones, instead of eating one large burrito, eat two small ones. Wrap with a damp paper towel before reheating to keep the shell from drying out. If you wanted to do breakfast burritos, vegan sausage and tofu scramble would probably be fun additions!

anole 07-11-2014 07:28 PM

Thanks yall, burritos sound like the way to go! He's also a huge fan of tortillas so that will mitigate the no-meat thing (and Daiya shreds will handle 'cheezeiness'), not sure why I didn't think of this before...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crochetlove (Post 3349570)
Burritos stored this way reheat great in the microwave! I make burritos in bulk (80 at a time!) and reheat them for quick mini-meals...

That sounds like an epic cooking quest. Would you mind sharing your recipe, or vague ingredients/steps?

Crochetlove 07-12-2014 10:38 AM

Ok! Here goes with what I usually put in my burritos (which aren't breakfast burritos), but they are really flexible and you can change them up however you want. hnjjjjjjjg (err.. my cat says "hi!") The more you make, the easier it is to make a lot of different fillings and still use everything up, the trick is to only add a little of each thing to every burrito.

Seasoned rice - cooked with tomato sauce replacing part of the water, add cumin for flavor
Sauteed onions and bell peppers
Homemade guac (onion, cilantro, lime juice, avocado)
Corn or corn salsa (corn, cilantro, lime juice)
Black beans, seasoned with taco seasoning
Vegetarian re-fried beans
Daiya cheese shreds (optional)
Hot sauce/taco sauce

That's the basic list, sometimes we will add something else, but we usually have all the stuff listed there. I make some spicy with hot sauce, and others not so much, and label them each as "spicy" or "mild." Like I said, smaller burrito shells work better for reheating, or you will end up with parts of your burrito boiling and other parts frozen solid still. Two small burritos take two or three minutes in the microwave.

A tip on tortillas: Try to find a good quality tortilla where they will fold without having to heat them up, especially if you are making a lot. Some brands will crack when you go to fold them if they haven't been heated. There's no rule that you can't take the time to heat them up, if you do make a few at a time and store them in a foil packet to keep them warm until you fill them, but it is quicker if you have a soft enough tortilla you don't have to do that.