How do you "do" Asian foods? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering how many people eat asian food with a fork or with chopsticks. I've always eaten mine with chopsticks since I can remember at least. I think the flavor gets absorbed in the wood ( if you use wooden that is ) and the metal taste of a fork leaves that weird aftertaste...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Beginner

At home I eat with a spoon and a fork like I learned to do in Malaysia. But I'm comfortable with chopsticks too, sometimes I use them at home. I would never eat with a fork and a knife though, that'd be weird. At restaurants I eat with what they bring, either fork+spoon or chopsticks, both are fine.
#3 Old 04-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

At home, I don't mind using chopsticks, but unless a restaurant uses rewashable chopsticks I insist on using a fork. Forests are too important to me.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...st&btnG=Search

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2004, 03:06 PM

I just use a fork the most often (I don't like soups much so I don't really need a spoon). I never learnt how to use chopsticks either (I'm not from Asia). And I love to use my fingers too (only for rolls or cakes ... I don't eat a disgusting way, don't misunderstand me )
#5 Old 04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Beginner

I don't eat asian soups much either, I like them but for some reason I never make them. Anyway, I eat with the spoon in my right hand and the fork in my left (I'm righthanded) and I use the fork to scoop stuff in the spoon and then I eat with the spoon. Confusing?!
#6 Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

pyrsk, my best friend's bf eats like that. I always just thought he was never taught to use utensils properly.

Then I went to Malaysia a couple of years ago and it all made sense.

His mom is Chinese but she grew up in Malaysia. ah-ha!

Malaysia was the first place I had vegan "mutton" - mmm! I did get used to eating with the fork & spoon like you describe. It's actually pretty efficient!
#7 Old 04-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I use chopsticks for all Asian foods, and even some foods that you wouldn't expect! Ask Verbi. *g*

She was surprised to see me eating my salad at Ru-san's with chopsticks, hehe.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#8 Old 04-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

pyrsk, my best friend's bf eats like that. I always just thought he was never taught to use utensils properly.

Quote:
His mom is Chinese but she grew up in Malaysia.

Hmm, sounds like Choi

Quote:
I did get used to eating with the fork & spoon like you describe. It's actually pretty efficient!

It is, isn't it?! That's why always eat like that, even at (Asian) restaurants. I guess the staff are used to that and don't think it's rude, at least if they're Asian
#9 Old 04-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Chopsticks
#10 Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

At home, I don't mind using chopsticks, but unless a restaurant uses rewashable chopsticks I insist on using a fork. Forests are too important to me.

very important point! A pair of chopsticks seems trivial, but the production of disposable chopsticks is responsible for a tremendous amount of deforestation in Asia.
#11 Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 PM

I have never learned how to use chopsticks, so with a fork.
#12 Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I definetly dislike the forestation, and if your worried about that they do make plastic or even metal chopsticks. I used the metal ones at a vegan buddhist resturaunt..they were kind of tricky even for me.

I'll never forget when I was at a Korean resturaunt with my dad ( must've been about 16 at the time ) and this older asian couple was amazed because I used chopsticks better then their grandaughter..
#13 Old 04-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Most of the time I'll use chopsticks, if they're provided. I hate the disposable wooden ones, I'm always afraid I'm going to get a splinter in my lip or something. At home, I use chopsticks a lot, even for non-Asian foods. It's like eating with your fingers, only less messy. I simply cannot eat regular rice off of a plate with chopsticks though, so I'll generally resort to a spoon, or a fork if I have to.
#14 Old 04-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B View Post

Most of the time I'll use chopsticks, if they're provided. I hate the disposable wooden ones, I'm always afraid I'm going to get a splinter in my lip or something. At home, I use chopsticks a lot, even for non-Asian foods. It's like eating with your fingers, only less messy. I simply cannot eat regular rice off of a plate with chopsticks though, so I'll generally resort to a spoon, or a fork if I have to.

Most people I know (and have seen) that eat rice with chopsticks can't do that either. They generally eat it out of a small rice bowl, hold it up close to their mouth, and use the chopsticks to sort of scoop it into their mouth.

I'll eat with chopsticks if they're provided, but I'm more comfortable with western-style utensils since I was raised eating that way. I have a lot of plastic coated chopsticks at home (for everyday use--not disposable). Sometimes I'll eat with them at home, it just depends on my mood.
#15 Old 04-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

Most people I know (and have seen) that eat rice with chopsticks can't do that either. They generally eat it out of a small rice bowl, hold it up close to their mouth, and use the chopsticks to sort of scoop it into their mouth.

Yeah, I do that at home, and in resturants that have the sense to give you small bowls for your rice.
#16 Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I love chopsticks and always eat my Chinese food with them.
#17 Old 04-30-2004, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Chopsticks for Asian food, and the standard knife/fork/spoon combo for anything else. If I am at home, a fork for a dry meal or a spoon for a liquid meal.
#18 Old 04-30-2004, 03:01 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Chopsticks. I like the narrow-ended, laquered wood Japanese style ones. Don't like the square ended plastic ones as much.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#19 Old 04-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Banned

Basically what it comes down to for me is a spoon is more use for eating soup, and fork isn't very useful for that, unless it has got many vegetables, and then you might be better off with a chopstick.
#20 Old 04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Beginner

so when you say you use chopsticks for asian food, does that include indian?
#21 Old 04-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Chopsticks in most restaurants... I never really thought about the deforestation part before, oddly enough. That is something to consider. Maybe I could find a travel set that comes in a case... hmmmmm....

At home I use reusable chopsticks, both bamboo and plastic. I have a variety. (If you're looking for bargains, try www.pearlriver.com)
#22 Old 04-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Chopsticks!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#23 Old 05-03-2004, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I just ate at Zyng Asian Grill, a noodle place here in Albuquerque and they use very nice permanent (not disposable) plastic chopsticks! Yay!!!!! I hope more eat-in style restaurants will adopt this practice. More eco, but somehow, more elegant.
#24 Old 05-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Basically what it comes down to for me is a spoon is more use for eating soup, and fork isn't very useful for that, unless it has got many vegetables, and then you might be better off with a chopstick.

Just one chopstick?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page