Vegan Three Milk Cake (Tres Leches)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone been able to make a vegan three milk cake? I think it's called "Pastel de tres leches." (?) I've never tried making this cake before, so I'm really lost. All of the recipes I've come across call for a large number of eggs as the base of the cake.

The dairy isn't a problem, thanks to homemade substitutes, but I'm really stuck on the cake portion. I don't know if a vegan version will work, since the cake has to absorb the liquids. Is the cake a dense cake, or is it more like a sponge cake? I'd like to take it to a party in a couple days. Here are two dairy egg versions I found through Google. Ideas, suggestions? ::Help::

http://www.texascooking.com/features...cakerecipe.htm

http://dominicancooking.com/recipes/...tresleches.htm

I would've asked Bryanna Clark Grogan on her message board as well, but couldn't get my message to go through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, judging by the lack of replies, I guess you're just as clueless as I am! I decided to either do a vegan white poke cake, or try this vegan tres leches cake from Chef Deborah. Haven't decided on which version, either, but I still have 4 days. Posted for anyone else who might be interested.
#3 Old 05-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe Tres Leches is a dense cake.... I've never had it directly, but I think one of the milks is flan, a nice thick custard. (Mmmmm....) I think you could use silken tofu. Who are you making this cake for? It'd be good to have someone who has tasted this cake before and is picky about food help you out. Lots of vanilla also seems to pop into my head. Good luck.

This is an awefully challenging item to make vegan in my opinion, as one of the main points of this cake is to enjoy the variety of textures of the milk items in one dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I believe Tres Leches is a dense cake.... I've never had it directly, but I think one of the milks is flan, a nice thick custard. (Mmmmm....) I think you could use silken tofu. Who are you making this cake for? It'd be good to have someone who has tasted this cake before and is picky about food help you out. Lots of vanilla also seems to pop into my head. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, froggy. Hmm, really? I haven't seen any recipes calling for a custard. I've seen recipes that call for "media crema," (heavy cream, I believe) milk, and or evaporated/condensed milk. Like I said, I have the "milk" substitutes covered, so I'm going to be in experimenting with the cake portion today. The cake is for a Cinco de Mayo party being thrown by friends of ours. Thanks for the luck...I'm going to need it!
#5 Old 05-02-2004, 06:02 PM

Pixie, the recipes I've used in my pre-vegan days call for you to mix heavy cream with confectioner's sugar and some other ingredients to make a custardy-type filling for the cake.

Has the host requested this particular cake for the celebration? I've have some other adapted recipes that we've used at celebrations for Dia de los Muertos, Las Posadas and Dia de los Reyes.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 05-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm. Well, I tried a small test run of the tres leches cake yesterday, but don't think I want to take it to the party. Wasn't bad, but wasn't that great, either. Looks like I'll be falling back on my tried and true Spicy Bean Salsa instead.

Quote:
Has the host requested this particular cake for the celebration? I've have some other adapted recipes that we've used at celebrations for Dia de los Muertos, Las Posadas and Dia de los Reyes.

IamJen: No, the host didn't request this particular cake, but I was curious enough to try and experiment. No biggie. However, I’m interested in seeing the other recipes you mentioned, if it isn’t too much trouble!
#7 Old 05-04-2004, 04:20 PM

Sure thing pixie - I'll have to do a smidge of digging, but if you shoot me an email, I'll send you back some recipes.

[email protected]

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 05-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

[qoute]Sure thing pixie - I'll have to do a smidge of digging, but if you shoot me an email, I'll send you back some recipes.[/quote]

Thanks just pm'ed you my email address. ~Pixie
#9 Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Sure thing pixie - I'll have to do a smidge of digging, but if you shoot me an email, I'll send you back some recipes.

Thanks, just pm'ed you my email address. ~Pixie
#10 Old 06-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Well the original recipe for this "tres leches" is translated to 3 milks (evaporated, condensed & regular). It is a very sweet, melt in your mouth type of dessert.

Flan is a completely different dessert, primarily made of eggs & sugar.
#11 Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

There are a lot of recipes on the internet for vegan Tres leche - you just have to google it. 

These are the first three things that came up when I googled it:

http://thewitchykitchen.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/vegan-tres-leches.html

http://veganjoy.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/dulce-de-tres-leches.html

http://vegan.sheknows.com/2012/06/01/vegan-tres-leches-cake/

The cake should be very light, so that it absorbs the milk that you pour over it. You can just bake a vegan vanilla sponge cake and then pour some sweetened milk (like a vegan condensed milk), or preferably three types of milk (thus the name) over the top. Once it has completely cooled, top with whipped cream.

It shouldn't be a flan and it doesn't have custard

It shouldn't be hard to veganise it. I'll be posting a recipe for it on my blog sometime in February. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page