Strange habits and awkward food combos - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 PM

Okay, here goes. Ever since I went vegan, I have developed a mighty strange habit of liking presumably raunchy food combinations. Today, in the campus cafeteria, I had a wild idea.

I had a bowl of plain white rice, mixed with the normal variation of one squirt of mustard and a little soy sauce. As I stirred my meal, I remembered that rice and peanuts form a complete protein. Even though you don't have to eat them simultainiously to reap the full protein benefits of this combo, I decided to try mixing in some peanut butter, some salsa, and some kidney beans.

I will admit, upon mixing, the smell did come off a bit repulsing, but after I folded the mustard into the PB a little more, my olfactory sense was releived. After that, I gave it a nuke in the microwave, and gave it a shot... it was awesome.

In my glorious rapture, I decided to name this great dish "The Spicy Elephant," on account of the spicy salsa and mustard mixed with the stereotypical elephants favorite food - peanuts!

Everyone at the table seemed eager to leave, so maybe I'm just a freak of nature in this department. I'm relying on you guys and girls to have an open mind and give this culinary venture a shot. Major props to all who have the guts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Your text is kind of hard to read from my end (I had to highlight it with my mouse to read it)..... hmmm

anyway -

I like doing stuff like your talking about. Especially with rice (though I never give them actual names - )

I like Peanut butter and marmite sandwiches - some people think that's strange.
#3 Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

If you think about it, these are familiar flavor combos. The use of peanuts and tomatoes together reminds me of Kung Pao dishes, or Pad Thai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

ditto on the text color. Also, I thought the "complete proteins" concept had pretty much been abanondoned. But, interesting food choice there! I'll have to side with your friends. I can't imagine eating that. Reminds me of a game me and my sister used to play when we were little called "Eat That Food" where we'd mix up horrible food concoctions and dare the one to eat it. Nowadays the only foods I mix are corn and mashed potatoes.
#5 Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Beginner

I have a thing for vegan barbecue sauce - I dip everything in it - burritos, falafel, veggies, chips, vegan spring rolls, tofurkey sausages Some find it strange
#6 Old 04-27-2004, 01:31 PM

ooo nummy. I love peanut butter n pickle sandwiches hee hee
#7 Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM

marmite and honey on toast/in a sandwich... yummy
#8 Old 04-27-2004, 04:41 PM

i had some left over cabbage and onions and had no idea what to do with them. so, i fried them in a pan, added some white rice, and put some mushroom and green pepper spaghetti sauce on top of it. it was yummy...my boyfriend thought it was sick.
#9 Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait. I *have* eaten rice and bananas in chocolate soymilk. It's kind of like cereal... but... way gross when you think about it. At the time though, it hit the spot.
#10 Old 04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I dip unsweetened baking chocolate squares in a little salt and eat like that
#11 Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

I dip unsweetened baking chocolate squares in a little salt and eat like that

Wow! That's amazingly bitter... Have you ever tasted straight vanilla extract? Did you like it?

Jim
#12 Old 04-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to dip my bagels in orange juice. Of course, that was when I could eat bagels, but my family still makes fun of me for it...
#13 Old 04-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I would dip anything eaten for breakfast in orange juice. Muffins, donuts, bagels, etc. Makes em softer and easier to eat on a morning stomach.

I also dip croissants in Hershey's syrup. My family thinks it's insane. "Haven't you ever heard of a chocolate croissant?" I say. It's DIY style.
#14 Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

I like to dip my bagels in orange juice. Of course, that was when I could eat bagels, but my family still makes fun of me for it...

If the reason you can't eat bagels is because they have egg in them, then you haven't eaten a real bagel. Real bagels don't have eggs, have no fat, and are chewy... and are completely vegan.

Jim
#15 Old 04-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

If the reason you can't eat bagels is because they have egg in them, then you haven't eaten a real bagel. Real bagels don't have eggs, have no fat, and are chewy... and are completely vegan.

Jim

I wish it were just the eggs I'm a bit wheat/oat/rye/the whole shabang sensitive and bagels would result in mucho intestinal pain. (hehe, i've been waiting to use that smiley!)
#16 Old 04-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh... sorry to hear that.

Jim
#17 Old 04-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Wowee...all these 'recipes' look good...except the pickles and peanut butter sandwich combo idea, I don't think I'd like that...but the rice with peanuts/ salsa and mustard thing sounds REALLY tasty, and marmite and honey sandwiches (Linzey's mouth waters)....I'm a marmite/ vegemite freak, although I'd have to mix some splenda in it, instead of honey...do you think it would have the same kick?

-Linz
#18 Old 04-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzey View Post

Wowee...all these 'recipes' look good...except the pickles and peanut butter sandwich combo idea, I don't think I'd like that...but the rice with peanuts/ salsa and mustard thing sounds REALLY tasty, and marmite and honey sandwiches (Linzey's mouth waters)....I'm a marmite/ vegemite freak, although I'd have to mix some splenda in it, instead of honey...do you think it would have the same kick?

-Linz

I'm not sure what splenda is... if it's like honey or syrup i don't see why not... it's the sweetness contrasting with the marmite which made it good...

i have also had cheese, marmite and strawberry jam sandwich once before... that was quite good aswell...

you get the recurring theme that i like marmite just a bit
#19 Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

A peanut butter and pickle sandwich is the BEST! It sounds a bad combination, but it's not. It's really good.

My favorite is peanut butter, pickle (dill or sweet, doesn't matter), soy bacon and tomato on whole wheat bread.
#20 Old 04-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

A wild thing just grabbed me and I need you (crazy vegs) guys inputs: can I eat nutritional yeast straight, I mean no cooking, mixing or whatsoever, just spoon into my mouth? will I get into trouble? (thinking about carry a bag of that stuff to work, that's why )
#21 Old 05-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Freemouse...I eat nutritional yeast plain. It reminds me of marmite or vegemite...and so when I'm out, I eat it :-) Or I add some to my broth and swirl it around a bit.

-Linzey
#22 Old 05-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone put peanut butter in a felafel wrap? Its *really* good!
#23 Old 05-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

funny.. i am like, the queen of odd food combos, but i can't for the life of me think of one right now.

maybe because i eat them so often i no longer think of them as odd

ok. bananas and hummus. that's weird. but it's really good. and i'm really fond of peanut butter and carrot sandwiches. but those are the rather tame ones.
#24 Old 05-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragin View Post

Okay, here goes. Ever since I went vegan, I have developed a mighty strange habit of liking presumably raunchy food combinations. Today, in the campus cafeteria, I had a wild idea.

I had a bowl of plain white rice, mixed with the normal variation of one squirt of mustard and a little soy sauce. As I stirred my meal, I remembered that rice and peanuts form a complete protein. Even though you don't have to eat them simultainiously to reap the full protein benefits of this combo, I decided to try mixing in some peanut butter, some salsa, and some kidney beans.

I will admit, upon mixing, the smell did come off a bit repulsing, but after I folded the mustard into the PB a little more, my olfactory sense was releived. After that, I gave it a nuke in the microwave, and gave it a shot... it was awesome.

In my glorious rapture, I decided to name this great dish "The Spicy Elephant," on account of the spicy salsa and mustard mixed with the stereotypical elephants favorite food - peanuts!

Everyone at the table seemed eager to leave, so maybe I'm just a freak of nature in this department. I'm relying on you guys and girls to have an open mind and give this culinary venture a shot. Major props to all who have the guts.

Very close to a peanut butter chile I attempted to invent once. It was okay, but coated the mouth and sat in one's stomach like a brick.
#25 Old 05-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Has anyone put peanut butter in a felafel wrap? Its *really* good!

When I would have "build your own burrito" evenings, my little brother would put PB in his. Sort of the same thing I guess, beans w/ PB

Similarly, I used to eat PB and salsa sandwiches, often.

And on the topic of nut yeast... I know someone who recommends mixing it with drinking water and chugging away! For an energy boost, she says. Some people must just really like the stuff.
#26 Old 05-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Stale bread in hot sweet tea. Yum!
#27 Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Beginner

I have always been a weird food combiner! My philisophy is: If it tastes good alone, it might taste BRILLIANT together! ...and it most often does! (I think I have good instincts lol)

Its hard to find a food combo that I would consider really beyond trying (as long as all the ingredients really ARE food lol)
#28 Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh.. now I'm craving peanut butter.

Good thing I'm shopping tomorrow..

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#29 Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO' date='27 April 2004 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1083118451' post='390024 View Post

I also dip croissants in Hershey's syrup. My family thinks it's insane. "Haven't you ever heard of a chocolate croissant?" I say. It's DIY style.

I actually have a recipe for chocolate filled croissants in a cookbook somewhere ...
#30 Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Beginner

I am the biggest food combiner. I don't use recipes, I just go on what I feel like. My fave combo lately has been pumpkin porridge made with almond milk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page