Strange habits and awkward food combos - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan macaroni and cheese, green peas, and this sauce my grandmother makes called Markel Sauce which is made out of pickled tomatoes and onions and peppers or something - all mixed together. It reminds me of Sunday lunch at grandma's when I was a kid and we always ate roast beef with markel sauce, kraft mac and cheese, Leseur peas, "pink stuff" (strawberry jello mix and cottage cheese) and pillsbury crescent rolls. My plate was so full all of the food would get mixed together and I actually liked the way it tasted. Still do obviously - I'm so nostalgic lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassThePickles' date='27 April 2004 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1083094260' post='389742 View Post

ooo nummy. I love peanut butter n pickle sandwiches hee hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded' date='28 April 2004 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1083182319' post='390454 View Post

A peanut butter and pickle sandwich is the BEST! It sounds a bad combination, but it's not. It's really good.

My favorite is peanut butter, pickle (dill or sweet, doesn't matter), soy bacon and tomato on whole wheat bread.

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches, OOOH YEAH! I think I'll go make one for dinner.

I once dared my brother to put ketchup on green beans, it was actually pretty good; and our grandmother liked it so much she ate them that way from then on.
#33 Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow.. The only thing I do that *some* people find weird are eat bell peppers like apples.. O.o

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to have ketchup on my green peas (which I eat a lot).. but that's not too weird, is it?

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#35 Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash' date='08 July 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1278628700' post='2671008 View Post

Vegan macaroni and cheese, green peas, and this sauce my grandmother makes called Markel Sauce which is made out of pickled tomatoes and onions and peppers or something - all mixed together. It reminds me of Sunday lunch at grandma's when I was a kid and we always ate roast beef with markel sauce, kraft mac and cheese, Leseur peas, "pink stuff" (strawberry jello mix and cottage cheese) and pillsbury crescent rolls. My plate was so full all of the food would get mixed together and I actually liked the way it tasted. Still do obviously - I'm so nostalgic lol.

I love putting peas in mac and cheese! My friend introduced it to me a few years ago.

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.
#36 Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hahah I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, too!! I guess it's not THAT weird if so many of us like it!

I think that is the strangest thing I like. Before I was vegan I used to eat cheese and apple slices together... hehe
#37 Old 07-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

When I make gardener's pie (like a sheperd's pie, but not) I mix a load of odd flavours in with the tofu and veg... Marmite, soy sauce, cumin, Tabasco, to name a few. It's weird but really nice.
#38 Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

Wow.. The only thing I do that *some* people find weird are eat bell peppers like apples.. O.o

I don't think that's wierd. I've munched on both green and red bell peppers when I'm cooking something with them... I usually take a bite of one of those bumps at the blossom end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxxi View Post

I have to have ketchup on my green peas (which I eat a lot).. but that's not too weird, is it?

Hmmm... I'll have to try that the next time I have peas!

One wierd thing I do is make sandwiches with unconventional ingredients. This morning I had two mango sandwiches: one mango yielded enough sweet, juicy chunks to fill four slices of commercially-baked whole wheat bread- which would have been boring by themselves because I was out of margarine and I don't feel like toasting stuff when the weather has been so hot.

Other sandwiches I often make: avocado (just avocado chunks); steamed spinach and margarine (this is really better toasted, and you have to drain off the spinach juice or the sandwich is a soggy mess); steamed broccoli and margarine; steamed asparagus.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#39 Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Peanut butter and onion sandwich.

Try it sometime.
#40 Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Black beans covered with sauerkraut. I don't know.
#41 Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure about all of this together, but I do know that salsa and peanut butter are a surprisingly amazing combination. I made some sauce out of some organic peanut butter and chipotle salsa and put it on fresh spinach...sort of like a salad. Unfortunately that stuff does not fill me up at all.
#42 Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Beginner

The crisp and chocalate sandwitch: a square of chocolate sandwitched between two crisps, easy. I think any sweet/savoury combo is awesome, I remember putting whipped cream on a steak back in my omni days. Another kind of wierd thing I do is put sunflower seeds in chilli, that's actually proved hugely popular with my friends.
#43 Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse' date='27 April 2004 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1083113514' post='389921 View Post

I dip unsweetened baking chocolate squares in a little salt and eat like that

SOUTH PARK REFERENCE: Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNYXgV7L-c
#44 Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah... I like some strange food combinations under a certain circumstance I'm not allowed to talk about here. =)

All my examples are gross omni things though... it's been a while.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#45 Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

warm eggplant w/ maple syrup and cinnamon

cinnamon sprinkled on fruit

Vegan gourmet cheese right out of package (I know most people think it's gross)
#46 Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

people find this to be very odd too, but it was so good at the time...spreading peanut butter on bread or a hot dog roll, then adding the hotdog and what ever condiments you like. Suppose it could still be done with the soy dogs, but I don't buy them.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#47 Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, weird food combinations, my absolute favorite

Before I stopped eating cheese, I loved peanut butter & cheese sandwiches! A friend suggested that and I was grossed out for a minute & then decided I wanted to try it. I've also been known to eat a container of water chestnuts plain or mix them up with mushrooms & tomato sauce and eat that cold. I honestly don't know how odd that last one is since I'm the only person I know that purchases water chestnuts. Man, I thought I had so many more weird combinations but I guess when you eat a lot of fruits & veggies, every combination is fairly common and extremely delicious.
#48 Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Beginner

Ketchup mixed with mashed potatoes, with corn niblets, peas, and carrots all mixed in as well. It's not that odd, I guess, but tasty tasty.
#49 Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM

I like cold outta the fridge brussel sprouts dipped in french dressing.....grossed out my friend Quill soooo bad he leaves the room when I am eating it.
#50 Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh I have found my people

My family makes fun of all the weird food combinations I eat.

When I was little my favorite snack was frozen bread with mustard...I still love mustard and will eat it on anything

I like ketchup on green beans. Mustard in my baked beans.

Kool-aid pickles.

Olive oil, jalapenos, and lemon pepper on my salad.

I'll have to try the peanut butter pickle thing!

I used to put Ranch dressing on my spicy Doritos but I don't eat either of those anymore

My sister used to melt shredded cheese on pickles.
#51 Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM

I like Doritos in my PBJ Sammies.

I like making plain pasta and using Tabasco as the Sauce.

I like to pour BBQ Sauce and Roasted Red Pepper Flakes on My Plain Cheese or Veggie Pizza....or pour Tabasco or othe hot sauces on it.

I like tabasco or other hot sauce on a bowl of Vanilla Rice Dream.

Frosting On a Bagel or McMuffin Gets people too....LOL

Peace!!
#52 Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn' date='18 July 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1279500402' post='2675582 View Post

I still love mustard and will eat it on anything

Mustard in my baked beans.

Kool-aid pickles.

I will put mustard/ketchup/bbq sauce/ hot sauce on everything! I love condiments and sodium. (Ironically I have low sodium levels...it's a mystery to me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie-Tari-Jenn' date='19 July 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1279594623' post='2676094 View Post

I like making plain pasta and using Tabasco as the Sauce.

I like to pour BBQ Sauce and Roasted Red Pepper Flakes on My Plain Cheese or Veggie Pizza....or pour Tabasco or othe hot sauces on it.

Frosting On a Bagel or McMuffin Gets people too....LOL

Peace!!

Same here w/ the pizza. I'll use hot sauce or bbq instead of pizza sauce if I make my own pizza. Gotta say I've never put frosting on a bagel or mcmuffin but funfetti frosting was the best frosting ever! Whoever invented it is a genius!
#53 Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289' date='20 July 2010 - 05:19 AM' timestamp='1279621160' post='2676232 View Post

I will put mustard/ketchup/bbq sauce/ hot sauce on everything! I love condiments and sodium. (Ironically I have low sodium levels...it's a mystery to me!)

Same here w/ the pizza. I'll use hot sauce or bbq instead of pizza sauce if I make my own pizza. Gotta say I've never put frosting on a bagel or mcmuffin but funfetti frosting was the best frosting ever! Whoever invented it is a genius!

hey there,

using bbq sauce or tabasco as the sauce thats an awesome idea....but what I normally do make the pizza with sauce and pour the bbq on top and they put the red peper flakes on top of that.
#54 Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing I used to eat as an omni was peanut butter, baloney and cheese sandwiches. I LOVED THEM SO MUCH!

Well, the other week I was in Whole Foods and saw the mock vegan baloney there and the new We Can't Say It's Cheese "cheddar" spread and it occurred to me that my old favorite as an omni could be a new vegan treat! The cheese spread isn't exactly the same as the old cheese slices, but the vegan versions put together are remarkably good! WOW! A childhood favorite is back!

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#55 Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I had a bowl of plain white rice, mixed with the normal variation of one squirt of mustard and a little soy sauce. As I stirred my meal, I remembered that rice and peanuts form a complete protein. Even though you don't have to eat them simultainiously to reap the full protein benefits of this combo, I decided to try mixing in some peanut butter, some salsa, and some kidney beans.

Very reminiscent of some African dishes. The mustard is kind of the odd ingredient, but otherwise you're only some stock away from a groundnut stew.

Garlic + peanut butter = heavenly, but even though the combination is found in multiple cuisines the guy at the bagel shop looks at me weird when I order PB on a garlic bagel. Mebbe also putting on sprouts weirds him out.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#56 Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 AM

I like to make either a veggie or vegan grilled cheese put it in the fridge for hours till its icy cold and then eat it with various dips like mustard and bbq sauce and roasted red pepper.....I cant stand hot grilled veggie or vegan grilled cheese.

I dont like hot pizza either....I like it after its been refridgerated overnight and love to use dips with it also.

I havent done this but my friend Marc he loves broccoli dipped in peanut butter....and cooked cauliflower drizzled with ketchup....french fries dipped in fake sour cream. and or I cant believe its not butter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page