Split Pea Soup Help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

I've started to make bean-based soups for breakfast (I know it sounds weird but it makes for a great filling quick breakfast). I have several recipes that I love. But one recipe that has always been troublesome for me is split pea soup.

The flavor of the soup I make is fine. But the consistency is way off. It turns out more like a split pea stew than a soup - more lumpy than watery. I've tried to mash the split peas after they are cooked, but no luck. I don't want to do the blender thing, as I don't like smooth soups and it's a pain to do.

Maybe I'm not cooking it correctly? I basically toss the uncooked split peas in with the veggies and cover with water and then let it boil for a time. When the split peas and veggies start to soften, I add the flavorings and then let it sit until cooked through, adding water as needed.

I thought the peas are supposed to break down in the cooking process, but mine don't seem to do that and mashing them doesn't seem to help the consistency. Any ideas?

Djuna

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djunamod View Post

Hi Everyone,
I've started to make bean-based soups for breakfast (I know it sounds weird but it makes for a great filling quick breakfast). I have several recipes that I love. But one recipe that has always been troublesome for me is split pea soup.

The flavor of the soup I make is fine. But the consistency is way off. It turns out more like a split pea stew than a soup - more lumpy than watery. I've tried to mash the split peas after they are cooked, but no luck. I don't want to do the blender thing, as I don't like smooth soups and it's a pain to do.

Maybe I'm not cooking it correctly? I basically toss the uncooked split peas in with the veggies and cover with water and then let it boil for a time. When the split peas and veggies start to soften, I add the flavorings and then let it sit until cooked through, adding water as needed.

I thought the peas are supposed to break down in the cooking process, but mine don't seem to do that and mashing them doesn't seem to help the consistency. Any ideas?

Djuna
I use 2 cups peas to 10 cups water in a crockpot on low 10 hrs. I add all my spices at the start. 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 3 veg bullion cubes, 1 tbsp onion granules, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp rubbed sage, 1/4 tsp black fresh ground pepper. I put it together the night before let it sit off all night and in the AM flip it on to low and let it simmer all day while I'm at work. Awesome! Sometimes I add one cup shredded carrots and one diced potato if I'm not lazy!!!
#3 Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Beginner

Thanks, Luna. I didn't think about making the soup in a crock pot. I do have  a crock pot but it's a fairly small one. I might still be able to do half the amount you mention, though. I might try that the next time.

Djuna

Luna13 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page