too much Cola? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 311

i have a friend that drinks 1.25ltx2 of Coca-Cola each day. i dont think its healthy for her. anyone have any info on it? i want to show her its unhealthy to drink that much. she is addicted to it i think.


.

Vegman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Veg & two wheels
 
yurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 399
Soda/Pop/cola/fizzy drinks are all dodgy. As well as being strongly acid forming (they make your body more acidic) there's the quantity of sugar, cocktail of favourings, colouring & additives, consumption of gas and they are full of corn syrup which tends to bypass the body's sugar detection. Prolonged consumption of soda/high sugar diets have a tendency to cause diabetes.

Soda isn't really good for you.
yurak is offline  
#3 Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Not good for him but at least no animals have to be killed. In this case I say Live And Let Live. smiley.gif
LedBoots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegman View Post

i have a friend that drinks 1.25ltx2 of Coca-Cola each day. i dont think its healthy for her. anyone have any info on it? i want to show her its unhealthy to drink that much. she is addicted to it i think.

I.kinda think your friend is in control of her own life, and likely already knows it is unhealthy.
khadijah likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#5 Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
lovingthegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post


I.kinda think your friend is in control of her own life, and likely already knows it is unhealthy.

I think some people do not realize just how unhealthy soda is for you, especially in large quantities.

 

If you are right that the OP's friend does know how unhealthy it is, then that's cool as I agree, everybody has the right to make their own decisions in life (as long as they are not harming others). However, if this was somebody I cared about, I would definitely want to talk to them about this at least once, just as I would if they were doing anything else that was damaging their body, but for the most part I would let it go once that discussion took place.

lovingthegreen is offline  
#6 Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
khadijah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cairo Egypt
Posts: 1,057

thats crazy to drink that, and very unhealthy the person seems not not care what they do to there body. http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

 

here is  a link im sure  if you google you  can find more things on it. Ive also read that it bloats your stomach. 

Purp likes this.
khadijah is offline  
#7 Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
lovingthegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 625

Interesting article. For me, once I actually comprehended how much sugar was in a can of soda - head here for a visual - I pretty much stopped drinking soda entirely other than maybe a can every few months.

 

Now don't get me wrong - I still eat plenty of sugar elsewhere; it's just that when it comes to drinking something that is essentially (a ton of) sugar and water, that is where I draw the line.

 

I remember working at a former job conducting telephone surveys, and some of the people I worked with were drinking two liters or cans and cans of sodas during a shift, which is just obscene to me. I never have and could never comprehend drinking that much soda.

lovingthegreen is offline  
#8 Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535

Okay, this is a rather extreme example ~ this lady drank up to TEN litres in a day!

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21423499

 

''Natasha Harris, who died three years ago after a cardiac arrest, drank up to 10 litres of the fizzy drink each day.

This is twice the recommended safe limit of caffeine and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.''

So if your friend is drinking 2.5 litres a day that's half the recommended caffeine level but still nearly 3 times the recommended sugar levels (assuming it's not diet).

There may also be a link between some carbonated drinks and osteoporosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723

http://clivesimpkins.blogs.com/clive_simpkins/2010/03/harvard-med-school-on-carbonated-drinks-and-osteoporosis.html

 

 

 

60225 is offline  
#9 Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
 

I think some people do not realize just how unhealthy soda is for you, especially in large quantities.

 

If you are right that the OP's friend does know how unhealthy it is, then that's cool as I agree, everybody has the right to make their own decisions in life (as long as they are not harming others). However, if this was somebody I cared about, I would definitely want to talk to them about this at least once, just as I would if they were doing anything else that was damaging their body, but for the most part I would let it go once that discussion took place.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post
 

thats crazy to drink that, and very unhealthy the person seems not not care what they do to there body. http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

 

here is  a link im sure  if you google you  can find more things on it. Ive also read that it bloats your stomach. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
 

Interesting article. For me, once I actually comprehended how much sugar was in a can of soda - head here for a visual - I pretty much stopped drinking soda entirely other than maybe a can every few months.

 

Now don't get me wrong - I still eat plenty of sugar elsewhere; it's just that when it comes to drinking something that is essentially (a ton of) sugar and water, that is where I draw the line.

 

I remember working at a former job conducting telephone surveys, and some of the people I worked with were drinking two liters or cans and cans of sodas during a shift, which is just obscene to me. I never have and could never comprehend drinking that much soda.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post
 

Okay, this is a rather extreme example ~ this lady drank up to TEN litres in a day!

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21423499

 

''Natasha Harris, who died three years ago after a cardiac arrest, drank up to 10 litres of the fizzy drink each day.

This is twice the recommended safe limit of caffeine and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.''

So if your friend is drinking 2.5 litres a day that's half the recommended caffeine level but still nearly 3 times the recommended sugar levels (assuming it's not diet).

There may also be a link between some carbonated drinks and osteoporosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723

http://clivesimpkins.blogs.com/clive_simpkins/2010/03/harvard-med-school-on-carbonated-drinks-and-osteoporosis.html

 

 

 


I'm not the OP, but thank you all for the links. Soda is my one big...bugaboo, for lack of a better word. I'm trying to kick it, using smoothies and juices instead.


Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#10 Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
khadijah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cairo Egypt
Posts: 1,057

I think if the person is an adult why should the other  worry about what they put in there bodies.  if they are not  worried . I mean if it is a child that is one thing, but over 18 responsible for ones self.  Also how long has the person been friend with the other, long time or months or what. 

River likes this.
khadijah is offline  
#11 Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
 

I'm not the OP, but thank you all for the links. Soda is my one big...bugaboo, for lack of a better word. I'm trying to kick it, using smoothies and juices instead.

 

Would carbonated water with juice/puree mixed in help to ease you away from soda?  I'm sure I reads in the links I posted that there was no negative effects from fizzy water.

60225 is offline  
#12 Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535

Does your friend drink any other liquids or just cola?  If they drink tea or coffee that's going to bump up the caffeine levels again.  

60225 is offline  
#13 Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

I think if the person is an adult why should the other  worry about what they put in there bodies.  if they are not  worried . I mean if it is a child that is one thing, but over 18 responsible for ones self.  Also how long has the person been friend with the other, long time or months or what. 

I'm with this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#14 Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
lovingthegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post
 

I think if the person is an adult why should the other  worry about what they put in there bodies.  if they are not  worried . I mean if it is a child that is one thing, but over 18 responsible for ones self.  Also how long has the person been friend with the other, long time or months or what. 

I know I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but if it is someone who I am close to, and I believe that they honestly do not realize the danger of consuming what they are consuming in the quantities that they are, I would most likely bring it up once to ensure that they are in fact educated about the topic. To me, it's simple consideration for the other person and care for them and their health. Also, there are plenty of adults over the age of 18 who are not educated about things that are impacting the quality of their life.

 

However, I would let it go once I knew that they knew. My brother is pretty much exactly like the type of person we are talking about in this thread, drinks an absolute ton of soda, and he does several other very unhealthy things, and I feel bad but let it go because he is an adult, and he can live his life however he wishes. And if we are talking about somebody who I am not really close to, I would never say anything.

 

To be clear, I would never nag somebody about anything as I feel that does much more damage than good. I would also probably never bring it up even to those I am close to unless it was pretty clear that they did not realize how damaging what they were doing is. In other words, if I have doubt as to whether they are educated on the subject, I would probably not say anything. For example, I would never bring up to a smoker that they should stop smoking as the dangers of smoking is pretty mainstream knowledge now. But I don't think many realize just how dangerous drinking large amounts of soda is. However, I am still staying silent all of the time with acquaintances and most of time with close friends and relatives.

lovingthegreen is offline  
#15 Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 AM
 
solkiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 43

There's also a link between drinking one or two glasses of soda a day and an increase in esophageal cancer. This is a personal concern of mine since it's prevalent in my family.

 

Also a lot of soda's are made using fluoridated water, maybe this is interesting to some as well. Fluoride is something I'm doing my best to avoid in my life. Sodium fluoride is the toxic waste they add to drinking water, toothe pastes, dental practices, etc. Unlike calcium fluoride which is natural and which they don't add to anything and is actually beneficial.

Drinking sodas can add a lot of other things to your diet you might not have immediately thought of.

 

Also the plastic of the bottles is probably not BPA free. Some companies that advertise about being BPA free just use BPS plastic which is less known, but also not very good for you. Any liquid especially that comes in touch with plastic is very good in absorbing this.

 

There are so many good reasons already mentioned to avoid soda's, I just thought I would add a few more ;)


https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cost international shipping!

solkiki is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off