Substituting flax eggs when using a cake mix? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM

I have tried to use flax eggs when making a cake from a box mix, it tastes fine but the texture is very moist and crumbly.  Is there a way to substitute the eggs so that the cake will hold together better?  The last one I tried I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and it called for 3 eggs so I used 3 flax eggs.  It is so soft and crumbly I can't easily get a piece out of the pan in one piece.  Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.  Thank you! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM

I've used banana instead of egg in muffins, and it seemed to work pretty well for me. You may want to look into the Depression-era eggless cakes; I made a chocolate one a couple of weeks ago, and it was nice and spongy.

EDIT: Soda also has worked for me.

#3 Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Egg substitutes tend to not work well if subbing for more than 2 eggs. I'm guessing the cake mix is for an angel food type cake? That'd explain the crumbliness. A devil's food mix should give you better results. I've made devil's food cake mix using just soda pop. No eggs, no oil. It's a trick I stole from Weight Watchers. Here's more detailed directions. Note that WW uses diet soda, which is icky. I use regular.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisaunicorn View Post

I've used banana instead of egg in muffins, and it seemed to work pretty well for me. You may want to look into the Depression-era eggless cakes; I made a chocolate one a couple of weeks ago, and it was nice and spongy.

EDIT: Soda also has worked for me.

I'm so glad you mentioned that! I know people who've made cake mix with just like 10 oz of soda and baked as usual. You need to have the oven pre heated and pop it in right away!

Duncan Hines is vegan, as well as many of their canned frosting

I make cake with baking soda in the dry and vinegar in the wet so I imagine it's the same idea

I've also heard of using pumpkin, but that's supposed to make them dense like brownies

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

You might try applesauce, the small ones that come in a "Lunch Size" six-pack. That might help.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM

I have never heard of using soda pop, I will give it a try.  Thanks!

#7 Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 AM

I have used applesauce and have heard of using pumpkin but haven't tried it yet.  I have not used bananas since my husband doesn't like anything banana flavored.  I am also going to try the soda pop. 

If these don't work, I may have to find a good from scratch cake recipe that doesn't use eggs.  If anyone has a good easy recipe that you like please share.  Thank you!

Purp likes this.
#8 Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A View Post

I have used applesauce and have heard of using pumpkin but haven't tried it yet.  I have not used bananas since my husband doesn't like anything banana flavored.  I am also going to try the soda pop. 

If these don't work, I may have to find a good from scratch cake recipe that doesn't use eggs.  If anyone has a good easy recipe that you like please share.  Thank you!

http://vegweb.com/recipes/easy-vegan-chocolate-cake

This is similar to the one I've used. I would recommend sweetening the cocoa powder first, otherwise the vinegar overpowers the cake. 

Good luck!

#9 Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

The recipes are all similiar, with changes in amounts of soda/vinegar.

I first thought of the recipe I've tried and still use--and it's exactly what unicorn posted!

This is an old VB thread, and has both US and metric measures and full  of tips:

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/22508/absurdly-easy-chocolate-cake/0_60

Biggest tip is to pop in a preheated oven after stirring

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in