Best oil choice for stir fry? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have been pescatarian for a couple years now although I'm slowly scaling back on the fish.

I wondered if anyone can tell me what the best, (healthiest), choice is for cooking oil. I switch between extra virgin olive, grape seed, and sesame but I'm open to new ideas.

Thank You and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone in this community.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I think olive oil is the healthiest but for stir fry I'm not a fan of the flavor. Also, olive oil has a very low smoke point so it's better to mix it with another oil.

For flavor I think peanut oil would be best for a stir fry.

#3 Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I like grapeseed or e.v. olive and then a bit of sesame oil a minute before taking off the stove. smiley.gif My whole family loves stir fries and they're so quick, we have them a lot. smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I go with an olive oil/canola oil blend.

I only about a Tbls of oil to get a carmelization, and finish with enough water to steam. I add a drizzle of chili sesame oil at the end of cooking (get at an Asian market)

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Veg & two wheels

EV olive is best used at ambient temperature, typically in dressing. It becomes quite unhealthy when heated & has quite a low smoking point.

Roasted sesame seed oil has a low(ish) smoking point and should only be used in dressings. Regular sesame seed oil should be fine.

Personally I tend to use either sunflower or rapeseed oil.
I like to use coconut oil. It does have a flavor, which my parents don't like in some dishes. I'm not sure of burning points on this and it is very expensive in comparison to most common oils.
#6 Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here is a chart on the smoke point of some common oils. EV olive oil doesn't have a terribly low smoke temperature. Sorry for how unorganized this looks--copy and pasting from my phone. smiley.gif
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm

350 F: Butter (Good Eats)
: Canola Oil, Semi-Refined
: Coconut Oil†
: Sesame Oil, Unrefined
: Soy Oil, Semi-Refined 356-370 F: Vegetable Shortening 361-401 F: Lard 375 F
: Olive Oil (Good Eats) 389 F: Macadamia Nut Oil††

400's
400 F: Canola Oil, Refined
: Walnut Oil, Semi-Refined 406 F
: Olive Oil, Extra Virgin* 410 F
: Corn Oil (Good Eats)
: Sesame Oil** 420 F
: Olive Oil, Virgin** 430 F
: Hazelnut Oil*** 435 F
: Canola Oil (Good Eats) 438 F
: Rapeseed Oil*** 440 F:
: Sunflower Oil† 450 F
#7 Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I use sesame oil or peanut oil for Asian stir fry coconut oil for Thai dishes .... sunflower for making cakes, cookies ... Evo for Italian sauces ...
#8 Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM

I like to use rice bran oil for stir fries.

#9 Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM

I eat a specific vegan diet and keep my sat fats really low. That includes some oils since they have sat fats. FYI I never use oil in my stir fries or starting onions sauteeing.  ihave been using a water, broth or wine base for these for 2 years now.

Could you tell the difference? Maybe, but I don't and I like the idea of cutting down on the oils. This may not be at all what you are interested in, but since people are beginning to learn of the some of the implications of heating oils to a high point, it might work for some of you. Cheers.

#10 Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Best oil choice for stir fry
And
Healthiest choice for cooking oil
Are two very different questions.

There will be debate about both but the former is mostly personal taste preference perhaps a little economics mixed in. Personally, I like sesame oil for stir fry.

The latter question is a factual issue about human nutrition. There's currently a ton of debate about dietary fats - whether we need to seek out added fats or not is a contentious issue.

I fall on the side that says the average person in western society / industrialized nations does NOT need any processed fats at all, and that for many people oils are a significant source of unnecessary and unwanted calories as well as a contributing factor in some heart disease or other ailments. Simple fact: oils are extremely calorie-dense. Example: IMO someone with high cholesterol or triglycerides ought to simply avoid all oil as much as possible.

However, I believe that in moderate amounts for healthy people, oils are perfectly acceptable and may provide much needed dietary satisfaction.

Likewise, they may be helpful in adding needed calories for young vegan children or pregnant vegan women etc. Oils are certainly helpful for populations at risk of hunger/starvation (generally these are non western/non industrialized populations).

Thus, I think that using small amounts or using no cooking oil is the best choice and that people who use oil should choose unsaturated fats as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#11 Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM

coconut :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page