Is this vegan? Ingredients listed! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM

Sugar, Partially Defatted Peanuts, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel and Soybean Oil), Corn Syrup, Dextrose; contains 2% or less of artificial color, salt, Resinous Glaze, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Modified Cornstarch, Glazing Agent (Carnauba Wax), Flavouring (Vanillin), Artificial Flavour;Milk.

Milk is right at the bottom but is milk the artificial flavor? And what about the "less than 2%" what do you think about that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

What is the product? I assume the artificial flavor is derived from milk, so it is likely not vegan. The resinous glaze may contain shellac, which is also not vegan.

Food that includes the phrase, 'May contain traces of milk' are generally considered vegan due to the presence arising from shared equipment during processing.
#3 Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 AM

It looks like some kind of peanut brittle candy.

A beanspud said, Resinous Glaze is probably not vegan.  Artificial Flavour;Milk  is less clear.  You would need to call the company.

I would avoid it because of what it is- largely sugar and hydrogenated Palm Kernel oil.

For health reasons alone, I would tend to recommend against eating it.

If this were a healthy product in the grey area, then I'd say go for it, but when something is this unhealthy anyway, it begs the question of whether we should be going out of our ways to eat it.

EDIT:  Does anybody have a good link about palm oil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the input! It is candy that someone got for me, I wasn't quite sure, I'm pretty new at this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page