vegetarian options at bigger store chains - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Hi all.

I have just recently started to go vegetarian and was wondering if anyone has any favorite meatless items that can be found at bigger store chains. I'm in an area that is very Ag populated and a smaller population so we don't really have any health food stores. I'm looking for things that can be found at target and Wal-Mart, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 AM

Hi appleblossomboo, and welcome!

I'm glad you've decided to go veg :)

Definitely, major stores are full of great vegan stuff- they just don't label it that way.

The absolute best staple you can buy is dried legumes.

Beans, peas, lentils, etc.

You can find them in one pound bags.  Soak them, then boil them, and you have a big pot of beans to use for recipes.

It's great to make hummus, chilli, etc.

The best combination I find is a wet bean product, and then a dry whole grain product- like tortillas, toast, etc.

Whole grain pasta is also great.

Add to that a few veggies, and you have the start of a great meal.

#3 Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

If you like heat-n-eat meals, WalMart in my town now carries Amy's Meals, although somewhat limited selection.  I noticed they now also now carry tofu.  I also really like their Marketside hummus.  Sometimes I get my almond milk at WalMart. Target has the best deals on Clif/Luna bars.  Before going vegan, I would buy Morningside meatless "meats" or Boca burgers which are technically vegetarian, but I believe most have dairy, eggs, and/or gluten.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

What pandi said, but if you're looking for a real meat "sub" I recommend Boca chik'n patties. I often keep them in my freezer, and for some reason they're on sale at about $2.50-$3.00 everywhere now! They're great in salads, and sauteed crisp with hot sauce!

Stock up on some canned beans to begin with- those without added salt, and in cans without the BPA lining (or did bpa linings get banned?) I highly recommend chickpeas as the most versitile.

When you think of making things you can often directly replace meat with beans. 

What types of food do you already like, or wanting to try?

appleblossomboo likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Stock up on some canned beans to begin with- those without added salt, and in cans without the BPA lining (or did bpa linings get banned?)

It's really hard to find canned beans without added salt.

I don't think BPA was ever generally banned in the U.S., although it has been banned in baby bottles and formula packaging in some places.  The main concern was over it being in baby bottles- or things where babies might consume them, due to powerful hormonal activity, possible effects on brain and sex organ development (and increase of risk of hormonal cancer later in life).

I don't think we have any reason to think it's very dangerous in adults.

But there's the thing:  When we got all scared about BPA, the industry just started replacing it with BPS, which is probably just as bad, and possibly even worse.

I try to avoid canned foods, though, for anything that doesn't really have to be canned, because beyond any concern for BPA BPS, etc., they're just wasteful and more expensive.

I'm also a big fan of glass or steel for anything I'm going to be cooking in or eating out of, but maybe that's not entirely reasonable given the magnitude of the problem.  I don't know.

#6 Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Beginner

I don't shop much at Walmart anymore (not food, anyway) but when I used to as a vegetarian, I did find they had some selection of stuff. They had quite a few MorningStar Farms products (but I think that many of them are not vegan, as they have non-vegan items in them - but they did have a vegan burger, I remember). They also had some Amy's stuff, some soy ice cream, and I found Mori-Nu tofu on the bean shelf (since it doesn't have to be refrigerated before opening). Also Silk products (soy and almond milk). I also found a few Westsoy products, but not in the fridge section.

I found this blog post that might help you:

http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2013/03/12/going-vegan-walmart/

Djuna

appleblossomboo likes this.
#7 Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

It's really hard to find canned beans without added salt.

I don't think BPA was ever generally banned in the U.S., although it has been banned in baby bottles and formula packaging in some places.  The main concern was over it being in baby bottles- or things where babies might consume them, due to powerful hormonal activity, possible effects on brain and sex organ development (and increase of risk of hormonal cancer later in life).

I don't think we have any reason to think it's very dangerous in adults.

But there's the thing:  When we got all scared about BPA, the industry just started replacing it with BPS, which is probably just as bad, and possibly even worse.

I try to avoid canned foods, though, for anything that doesn't really have to be canned, because beyond any concern for BPA BPS, etc., they're just wasteful and more expensive.

I'm also a big fan of glass or steel for anything I'm going to be cooking in or eating out of, but maybe that's not entirely reasonable given the magnitude of the problem.  I don't know.

Well that's crazy! I don't use canned beans much, but do keep them on hand, and I'd have sworn the ones I bought did not have salt. Every can! and they're different brands. I rinse anyway, but still...

I do like canned tomatoes,. Any advice on that? I get Muir Glen  organic (so not vegan ;) ?)

What is BPS? I can't find any info on that. 

#8 Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Well that's crazy! I don't use canned beans much, but do keep them on hand, and I'd have sworn the ones I bought did not have salt. Every can! and they're different brands. I rinse anyway, but still...

I do like canned tomatoes,. Any advice on that? I get Muir Glen  organic (so not vegan ;) ?)

What is BPS? I can't find any info on that. 

It's usually some sort of sodium-insert-long-chemical-name-here.

The natural type might not have that.

I only buy fresh tomato, and canned tomato paste.  Since the paste is concentrated (a whole bunch of tomatoes in one can) I think it's more worth it- also easier to make sauce that way (no need to cook it down).

BPS is the new BPA.  More or less the same kind of thing, just less research on it I suppose, at this point.

#9 Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

plain oats or oat bran, either in a canister or bulk section; some plain packaged hot cereals like cream of wheat or cream of rice are vegan

some specific cold cereals from Kashi, Barbara's, and Nature's Path are vegan but I don't know which ones offhand as I usually don't eat them.  You can do a quick google to get that information and then see if they have them at your stores.

soy milk, almond milk, rice milk

Silk soy yogurts, SoDelicious Coconut milk yogurts, SoDelicious ice cream products; some brands of sorbet are accidentally vegan

Most fresh produce of course, unless it is labeled as containing shellac on it (usually apples but may be some bell peppers and other items)

roasted pumpkin seeds with shell on or raw ones; almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts.  Some of these you can find raw and relatively inexpensive in small amounts in the baking section; cashews or blanched almonds are great bases for making alfredo sauces or homemade eggless mayo in the food processor

canned pumpkin (makes a great binder in place of egg for baking, or added to smoothies in the blender) and most canned fruits packed in fruit juice or water

canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste

soy sauce or tamari

pure maple syrup, agave, stevia, turbinado sugar (most large chain groceries and outlets carry these)

orange juice and other juices not fortified with D3 or milk derivitives; most frozen juice concentrates are vegan

Fantastic World Foods (falafal mix, black beans, hummus mix, and others...great for a quick meal when camping and needing to carry light easy to pack nonperishable food such as overnight backpack trips)

brown, wild, white, basmatti rices

plain cocoa powder; also dark chocolate bars (usually greater than 70% dark but watch labels)

La Choy canned chow mein vegetables (they have a vegetarian option); you can add canned or dried beans to them and have it over rice for a nice meal

Most commercial salsas

Look for ezekiel or food for life breads and english muffins in the frozen section.  Most of these are vegan.  So are some types of Thomas Bagels

Vinegars for stir fries and cooking and baking

Tofutti sour cream and cream cheeses

peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower butters

Some brands of original graham crackers and animal crackers are vegan, just not the honey ones

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

La Choy canned chow mein vegetables (they have a vegetarian option); you can add canned or dried beans to them and have it over rice for a nice meal

I used to get that and mix with tofu and a bit of cornstarch for a tofu-fu-young! With mushroom gravy! 

Naturebound likes this.

#11 Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

Hi appleblossomboo, and welcome!

I'm glad you've decided to go veg :)

Definitely, major stores are full of great vegan stuff- they just don't label it that way.

The absolute best staple you can buy is dried legumes.

Beans, peas, lentils, etc.

You can find them in one pound bags.  Soak them, then boil them, and you have a big pot of beans to use for recipes.

It's great to make hummus, chilli, etc.

The best combination I find is a wet bean product, and then a dry whole grain product- like tortillas, toast, etc.

Whole grain pasta is also great.

Add to that a few veggies, and you have the start of a great meal.

Staples is what I would suggest too - along with mock meats if you like them. Most stores carry them now. 

I'd also suggest looking in the bulk area for TVP, rice and so on. Plus, for some reason, stores seem to place "natural" veggie type areas near the bulk food - like soy milk, veggie soups, etc. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page