I just bought a VITA-MIXER!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Beginner

Okay, probably stupid but I couldn't resist.

I bought a Nutri-bullet a year ago and got totally hooked on smoothies.  But, over the weekend, it broke :mad:.  The blade came loose from the base, and you can NOT replace the blades (believe me, I tried.  I looked on the internet, even went as far as to call the company, they don't sell replacement blades.  Once the blade breaks, it is garbage, despite the fact that the motor works perfectly fine!)

So, since I broke the blade and had to trash not only the Nutri-bullet, but also a Magic Bullet, and I burned out the motor on an expensive blender at one point too.........I just broke down and bought a Vita-Mixer.

It is AWESOME!  Only had it for a day, but I do notice that the smooties are smoother.  I can make them as thick as I want too.  If I want them to have the consistency of pudding, it can do that, or I can make it thinner by adding more water.  And it blends better, much smoother consistency than the Nutri-bullet was able to do.

Biggest selling feature to me is that it is very versitale, can do a lot of different things, that and motor has a thermal overload protection, and....THE BLADES ARE REPLACEABLE!!!

Can't wait to  make a batch of hummus with it!  Heck, with all my kitchen gadgets I am close to being able to open my own restaurant!  I love to cook!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Congrats! grin.gif
I'm saving $$ to buy one because I want to add many more fresh fruits & veggies to my diet. Right now I just have a regular old blender and my smoothies take forever to make and their consistency is terrible.

Are there many different models to choose from? Did you get yours at a restaurant wholesale type of store?

I think a Vitamix is a great investment.
#3 Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Bracing for snow

Vitamin and Blendtec are the top two, IMO. We have a Blendtec and it's terrific as well. I was undecided between the two, but now having one, I can highly recommend it.

IMO Vitamix defined the genera for high power blenders. Excellent choice. It should serve you a long, LONG time.

Enjoy!

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryphoebe1 View Post

Congrats! grin.gif
Are there many different models to choose from? Did you get yours at a restaurant wholesale type of store?

There are. Bed Bath & Beyond carry them, FYI.

Ken
#5 Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

IMO Vitamix defined the genera for high power blenders. Excellent choice. It should serve you a long, LONG time.

High power consumer blenders, at least.  The restaurant biz has had crazy expensive monster blenders for a while I think ;)

VegSingleMum, I'm glad you were able to get a proper blender.

It's so dumb that those blades weren't replaceable!  I'm so sorry you had to waste a perfectly good blender because of it.

The motor is still good, though, and the most expensive part.  High powered electric motors can be useful for tinkerers.  Can you use it for something else, or donate it?

#6 Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

High power consumer blenders, at least.  The restaurant biz has had crazy expensive monster blenders for a while I think wink3.gif

Right, I was targeting that market..

Probably commercial food manufacturers have stuff that grinds up whole corn fields, but they wouldn't fit my budget or my kitchen wink3.gif

Ken
#7 Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM

Ken, thank you, thank you! I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond a couple of days ago and found the Vitamix. grin.gif I broke down and bought it.

OMG, the smoothies are perfect! I've spent the last 2 days making all sorts of fresh, raw smoothies. I cannot wait to make soup and nut butters.

dancingbanana.gif

Oh, and on another note. I found a Vegan restaurant here in San Antonio. I couldn't believe it, especially here in barbecue and taco land. The food was incredible! This has been such an awesome week!
VegSingleMum likes this.
#8 Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Bracing for snow

Congratulations, and enjoy!

I just took another step myself.

I've been sprouting einkorn wheat and turning it into bread dough (sourdough) in our Kitchenaid KFP750. Well, that heavy dough finally killed the Kitchenaid so I just ordered a Breville Sous Chef (1200w vs 750 on the KA) Should be here in a few days. From everything I've read, it's a beast!

Cheers,

Ken
#9 Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Wow, it looks like you could do a lot with that Breville Sous Chef. I read the specs on it. Congrats! I'll bet you can't wait 'til it gets here.
#10 Old 02-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryphoebe1 View Post

I'll bet you can't wait 'til it gets here.

HUGE understatement! wink3.gif

Ken
#11 Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Beginner

I got my Vita-Mixer at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I got the "professional series" originally $500.  I had a 20% off coupon and used that, so I was able to take it  home for $400.  Still a heafty sum, but it would be hard to beat that price on the internet.

I made soup in it last night, OMG, tomato soup with grilled cheese.....WOW!  The best tomato soup I have ever had...EVER!  I will never eat Campbells again!  I used whole tomatos, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, some cashews....can't remember all but I got the recipe online.  I put all the ingredients in the blender, set it to "high" and let it go for like 5 minutes.  I couldn't believe it was actually HOT!  It was hot, and had the consistency of whipping cream, it was SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!  And no, I did not remove the seeds or the skin from the tomatos, or the strings from the celery, I just cut it up into large chunks and threw it in.

Oh yeah, I did make peanut butter too, wow, just as creamy as what you find in the grocery store, but tasted way better since it was fresh.  I have also used it to chop onions.  I am learning how to use the versitle speed adjustment to make things just perfectly chopped.  Faster chops it finer.  It works better than the Nutribullet did because you can use the plunger thing to push food down into the blades while it is running.  That is an extremely useful feature!

Ilikekale: congrats on your purchase of the sous chef.  I haven't hear of that one before.  Have you used it yet?  Does it do a good job making things creamy?

I have no idea how I ever lived without my Vita-mixer! I think it is worth it's weight in GOLD!  Definately is worth the money.

#12 Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Bracing for snow

Spectacular! One tip, if you're interested. Our daughter told us if you put a bit of coconut oil in the peanut butter it won't separate, like natural peanut butter does. Haven't tried it but she swears by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegSingleMum View Post

Ilikekale: congrats on your purchase of the sous chef.  I haven't hear of that one before.  Have you used it yet?  Does it do a good job making things creamy?

It arrived yesterday. I got it assembled and washed all the parts. That's it for now. Einkorn is soaking/sprouting for bread as we speak. Probably Sunday am.

I'll update here.

Ken
#13 Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Beginner

The Vitamix is wonderful, as is the Blendtec. I used a Magic Bullet for a couple of years, and it was ok for certain things, but I spent like 10 times the amount of time trying to get things to blend properly. :| I ended up getting a refurbished blender since it still comes with a warranty and is hella cheaper. :) Enjoy your homemade hummus!

#14 Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegSingleMum View Post

Okay, I made several things the last few days.

My bread. Forth loaf and it gets better every time.

Puréed cauliflower. Wow! Put steamed cauliflower, a bit of garlic, curry and smoked paprika in and 8 seconds later, pure smooth and delicious.

Then tonight, sweet potato fries. I put one large sweet potato in with the French fry cutting blade. 1 maybe 2 seconds it was fries! Quick spray of Pam Olive oil and a dash of cinnamon. One layer in a case iron pan and convection roast at 500 degrees for 14 minutes. SO GOOD!

This thing is amazing!

Ken
#15 Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 PM

You will love it!!  I have had mine for a few years now and don't know what I would do without it. I love it for hummus, peanut butter, almond butter and smoothies.  I just bought the dry blade container and am having fun grinding my own flour, from oats and wheat.  Definitely a great investment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page