Compete in the Great VeggieBoards Recipe Throwdown! - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Which recipe reigns supreme? (There can only be one!)
"Peanut Butter Chocolate-Dipped Pretzels with Sea Salt" submitted by River 2 15.38%
"Devil in Disguise Cake" submitted by 2brokevegans 5 38.46%
"Apple Pie with Caramel Sauce " submitted by Gianna 6 46.15%
"Goat Cheese (or Bananas) with Maple Syrup, Berries and Sea Salt" submitted by martino 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you ready for a throwdown?

Participate in The Great VeggieBoards Recipe Throwdown!

VeggieBoards boasts many great cooks who have awesome recipes up their sleeves. Do YOU have the recipe that can take down all the others? Let's find out! 

Naturally, current technology limits the taste component of this competition, but surely we can determine whose recipe reigns supreme via the written word and photos!

WHAT YOU CAN WIN

Two Guys in Vermont has generously donated the grand prize for our throwdown. Two Guys in Vermont will send the winner three 3 large jars of soup, one each of these tasty flavors: Veggie Basil Goodness (vegan), Chunky Garden Tomato (vegetarian) and Hearty Curried Apple Butternut Squash (vegan). 

Two Guys in Vermont mission"Our mission is to cook delicious, healthy foods with ingredients grown on local family-scale size farms. We are committed to using non-GMO ingredients, reducing personal exposure to pesticide and herbicide residues, and using safe food packaging options. We actively work to participate in an emerging regional food supply chain that supports local growers and preserves their communities."  

Learn more about Two Guys in Vermont at their website or via this great VeggieBoards product article

THROWDOWN RECIPE CATEGORY

Our throwdown category is desserts! 

HOW TO ENTER

Post your vegetarian, vegan, or raw dessert recipe here on the throwdown thread. You also may post an optional picture of your recipe. We highly encourage you to include a photo because since we can't taste your recipe, it helps to see it. 

THROWDOWN RULES

• Though we appreciate the contributions of our international members, this sponsor can only ship to the USA and Canada. As such you can only win the main prize if you have an official U.S. or Canada mailing address. In future contests we will try as hard as we can to find International sponsors as well.

• In order to participate, you must have been a member of VeggieBoards for at least 30 days or have made 30 posts. Site admins, partners and advertisers may not participate.

• Your recipe must be a vegetarian, vegan, or raw dessert.

• Your recipe must be a recipe that you have developed yourself or made some considerable changes to make it your own.

• If you submit a photo, it must be your own. If the image is found to be credited to another source, your entry will be disqualified

• You must be willing to share your name, valid email and/or address with a VB site administrator via PM so that we can get your prize to you. 

• By submitting your photo, you agree that your image is copyright-free. You also agree to allow VeggieBoards to share your image on the VeggieBoards website and on social media sites, as needed for contest and VeggieBoards promotion.

THROWDOWN TIME FRAME

The VeggieBoards Recipe Throwdown will begin on November 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM CST and end December 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM CST. Post recipes on this thread only. 

The throwdown thread will be locked at the end of the throwdown period after which no further entries will be accepted. 

VOTING - BY THE COMMUNITY

VeggieBoards members will be voting on this contest and will be deciding the winner. The number of entries will determine how we vote, so voting protocol will be announced on the thread following the end of the recipe submission period.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. 

Aristede:book:

The Chairman

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Zelda Freak

NOTE: I'm not allowed to win, being that I'm an admin, but I still wanted to play along for fun... 

I've made this cake square... 

My recipe is a rainbow cake made with homemade all-natural food coloring. This is a time intensive recipe, so I suggest you make it on very special occasions, like a birthday. It takes a lot of time so it's not great for everyday baking. 

Suitable for: Vegetarians. I tested this recipe before I went vegan so the cake part is vegetarian, (the frosting is vegan) but the cake idea is easily adapted to vegan if you have a white vegan cake recipe you like. 

I've also made a round version

The most time intensive aspect of this recipe is making the homemade food dyes because you have to extract the juices and such from produce, but once you learn how the process goes quicker. I wrote a tutorial on how to do this (link below). You can use this dye for cakes, cookies, frosting and pretty much any other baked good you like. 

+ Make homemade all-natural food coloring

Pink, white and violet layered princess style cake

You can be really creative with this recipe too. I've made mini rainbow cakes, round cakes, squares, loafs, and also mixed up the colors. For example, I've made totally rainbow colored cakes, but I've also made subtle colored rainbows, such as different shades of purple, white, pink and violet which is super cute for a princess birthday party and various shades of blues and greens. You can also try shades of yellow, orange and so on. 

Now, because this recipe takes forever to write out, and because I'm really not allowed to enter anyhow, I've just posted it as a recipe in the article area. To see all the steps, check out the link below. 

+ Make an all-natural rainbow cake with vanilla bean frosting

Close up of slices

OMG - edit to add that THIS was my 3,000 post on the dot! Good times...  

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 11-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

These are Peanut Butter Pretzels dipped in chocolate, with a smidge of sea salt!

Photo to come!

Steps:
1. Prepare peanut butter cookie dough, which is the following recipe:
3 T. dairy-free butter, such as earth balanxe
¾ cups unsalted peanut butter, creamy works best
¾ cups and 2 T. packed brown sugar
½ cup 100% maple syrup
½ cup plain unsweetened dairy free yogurt
½ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cups white flour
¾ t. baking soda
¼ t. baking powder
Preparation:

1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the soy margarine until slightly fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter, brown sugar, honey and soy yogurt, beating well between additions, until mixture is well combined. Set aside.

2. In another mixing bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well mixed. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined. Chill for twenty minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350.

3. Lay out pretzels on a cookie sheet, perhaps on a piece of parchment paper
4. Smoosh a ball of cookie dough onto the pretzel,
5. Flip pretzels over so the cookie part is on the sheet, with the pretzel facing up.
6. Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes, or until cookies are golden and the pretzels not burnt.

7. Melt your chocolate until ready to dip, i recommend 1lb bag of 70% dark chocolate
8. Dip your cooked pretzel cookies and place on plate or cold cookie sheet
9. Sprinkle sea salt on the top of the tree while the chocolate is still liquidy
10. Place cookies in the fridge for chocolate to harden!

VOTE FOR ME!
Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Why not... we'll throw down (recipe also posted at: http://2brokevegans.com/devil-in-disguise-cake/):

Devil In Disguise Cake Recipe: Gluten Free and Vegan!

Here is how you make it:

You will need to make two equal sized chocolate cakes.Here is our gluten free vegan chocolate cake recipe:

Pre-heat your oven to 145° Celsius (293° F)

In a large mixing bowl whisk:

1 cup of buckwheat flour
1/4 cup of gluten free all-purpose self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1 Tablespoon of ground flax seeds
5 Tablespoons of cacao powder
1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
Once whisked set aside. In a separate bowl prepare your wet mixture:

1 cup of vegan milk (almond milk, hazelnut milk, rice milk, soy milk, etc)
1/2 cup of sunflower oil
1/2 cup of agave syrup
4 Tablespoons of vegan butter
1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of raw cane sugar
1/2 cup of brown raw cane sugar
Mix until almost smooth. You will still see small chunks of the vegan butter floating around, this is ok.

Now, slowly pour your dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture. Stir until almost completely smooth. Again, there may be small pieces of the vegan butter visible if you mixed by hand, this is ok, they will melt in the oven!

You can use an old trick of pouring a thin layer of buckwheat flour on the bottom of your cake pan to prevent the cake from sticking after it’s baked or use parchment paper! Either way, pour your mixture into your cake pan and bake it in the oven at 145° Celsius (293° F)   until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. It should take 15 to 25 minutes depending on your oven!

Once they are done baking, you will want to refrigerate them for an hour or two to help keep the cake together for adding the buttercream frosting as well as transferring the second cake on top of the first layer of frosting.

You will need to make 3 batches of the butter-cream frosting. It is best to mix each batch individually if doing it by hand:

To make this cacao chocolate buttercream you will need some patience. In a mixing bowl combine and stir:

3 Tablespoons of vegan butter
3 Tablespoons of vegan milk (almond milk, hazelnut milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc)
1 Tablespoon of cacao powder
2 cups of powdered sugar
Keep stirring until buttercream emerges (this is where the patience comes into play)! This butter-cream hardens nicely once refrigerated.

Add a good layer frosting on top of the bottom cake. Then transfer the top cake on top of the frosting.

Finally, add the remaining frosting on the top and all around the side of the cake. Refrigerate the frosting on the cake for a few hours or overnight to harden it before serving. Once you have tasted a slice you will know why it is the devil in disguise!

Enjoy a chocolate on chocolate layered gluten free vegan cake without anybody being able to tell the difference!

Jennifer C likes this.

http://2brokevegans.com
#5 Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 AM

I just posted this under the recipe/pie section as well. Hope that is ok? Let me know if I should take one down. This recipe is adapted from a combination of 4 of my favorite apple pie recipes. I cheated and used a store bought vegan crust, but the end result is very impressive, it was a huge hit at Thanksgiving! A special thanks to http://www.effyeahitsvegan.com for the caramel sauce recipe.

1 can full fat coconut milk

1 cup dark brown sugar

1 tbs vanilla

a pinch of salt

1 vegan recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

8 organic Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced super thin

1 tsp cinnamon

1 pinch nutmeg

1/4 cup water

1 tsp cornstarch

1 stick earth balance

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup organic white sugar

1/2 cup organic packed brown sugar

Caramel Sauce

1. Place can of coconut milk in the fridge for an hour (or over night) or even in the freezer for 20 min, so that the cream rises to the top and becomes a separate solid from the liquid. Be careful not to shake the can and keep it upright. When you open it, scoop out the 2. solid cream into a large saucepan, (not the clear liquid). 

3. Over a low flame, gently stir the cream and add the brown sugar. Continue to stir gently over the heat for about 25 min. If it ever starts to bubble up, just pull it off the flame and give it a strong stir, then go right back to the heating and stirring. 

4. After 25 min, take it off the heat and add the vanilla and salt

5. Cover and refrigerate the caramel for now. 

Note: This caramel sauce is FREAKING AMAZING, and it makes a lot from the one can, keep the leftover caramel in your fridge and use it on anything. Maybe dip in some banana slices and freeze? I have just been eating it with a spoon. 

:p

Apple Pie

1. After peeling, coring, and slicing the apples super thin (a veggie peeler makes this go by very fast,) Toss the slices with the cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside. 

2. Mix the cornstarch into the water until it is dissolved.

3. Melt the earth balance in a very large sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add the white and brown sugar, as well as the cornstarch/water mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature to a low flame, and simmer 5 minutes, then take off the heat.

4. Next place the bottom crust in your pan. I like to cut the top crust into strips to make a lattice.

5. Gently pour the apple slices into the sugar and earth balance mixture and toss to coat. 

6. Then pour that mixture into the bottom crust, it will be a pretty heaping mound, sometimes I have some slices left over, depending on the size of the apples you started with. 

7. Add your top crust, however you decide to do it, and crimp the edges to make it pretty, trying not to have any parts of the crust a whole lot thinner than any other part. 

8. Bake 8 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes. After the first 8-10 minutes, my top crust is almost always done, so I wrap tin foil around the crust edges so that the inside can continue to cook without the outside burning.

9. About 5 min before the pie is done, I like to take it out and sprinkle the top with a  little more white sugar, this gives it that glistening look that people usually get from brushing the crust with egg whites. Then pop it back in to finish off.

10. Allow the pie to cool for a while, maybe 25 min, as this helps it firm up and look prettier when sliced.

11. Heat your caramel sauce back up, as it probably got pretty darn thick when it cooled down, and drizzle over the top of the crust. You can alternatively drizzle the individual slices. If you can be very careful, you can add one more tiny pinch of salt on top, but don't go overboard! Sorry my only pic is without caramel sauce! It got eaten to fast to take more pictures!!

I'm sure you could make this gluten free without the flour, and it would come out just as well.

#6 Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Beginner

I often like simple desserts myself. Nothing overly complex, but still delicious, can save the day in an unexpected need, or just be tasty! So, I offer the following variations on a theme:

Vegetarian Variant:

A slice of goat cheese, drizzled with maple syrup (the real stuff!) and topped with three-five blueberries.

Vegan Variant:

Banana slices, drizzled with maple syrup, and a slight dusting of sea salt.

Easy, delicious, and relatively healthy!

#7 Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

[Moderator Post]

The time period for the Great VeggieBoards Throwdown has been extended until Sunday, December 15, 2013 at midnight CST. This will allow more members to enter whom may have been delayed by Thanksgiving festivities.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#8 Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Nice! I know we cannot win because the other posts have blown us away! However, let's see what people got! Cinnamon is the best! I want to see more! I would donate our prize to a homeless shelter if we won, but again, we can't compete with the other posts. We still need more competition though!

http://2brokevegans.com
#9 Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

[Moderator Post]

The time period for the Great VeggieBoards Throwdown has been extended until Sunday, December 15, 2013 at midnight CST. This will allow more members to enter whom may have been delayed by Thanksgiving festivities.

:sweat: *PHEW* I still have a chance to inflict my evilness on you all. Mwuhahahahahaahaaaa!!!

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 12-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

The submission period for entries has ended and this thread will be locked. Voting for the winning recipe will begin tomorrow and last for one week. Please return to this thread for voting procedures. 

#11 Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Using the poll at the top of the thread, please feel free to vote for the recipe that you feel should be the winner of The Great VeggieBoards Recipe Throwdown. You may vote for only one recipe. Voting will end on December 23, 2013 at midnight.

The Chairman

#12 Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Impeach the gangster

I voted for the chocolate cake!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#13 Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted, too.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Zelda Freak

Voted! Good entries everyone!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#15 Old 12-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Voted.  How lovely...... I resolve to try them some time. 

#16 Old 12-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

The voting period has ended for the Great VeggieBoards Recipe Throwdown. The winner is Gianna, who submitted a recipe for Apple Pie with Caramel Sauce. Congratulations, Gianna! You will be contacted soon! Thanks to all of our participants and to our members that voted.

The Chairman

Jennifer C likes this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page