Has vegetarianism/veganism affected your perception of the world? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 AM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Or had any other interesting consequences that you did not forsee?

For example, I noticed since I starting toying around with plant-based diets in 2010, I've become more...shall I say...skeptical of just about everything? I noticed that the SAD diet I ate (and I still don't think I was as bad as many Americans) was wrong, all wrong. Lots of the things society told me were healthy actually weren't. I started buying organic food (not necessarily a veggie thing of course), reading my product labels of my soaps, wondering where all the chemicals that I ran through my hair everyday would eventually wind up (*cough* the ocean *cough*) and if there were some crazy animal ingredients hidden in my deodorant, if the crap lotion I was rubbing on my skin was actually a carcinogen...etc. 

But then it went further. I started questioning our pill-popping culture, not to discredit modern western medicine too much but I started thinking perhaps all people really needed was much simpler, like more sleep or exercise or better food, or maybe that eating something as harmless and benign as maca root when you're feeling down might actually work, or give you a placebo effect at the least. I started becoming absolutely appalled at the thought that almost everybody just gets a job and works for 40 years of their life...and that consequently caused me to start reading up on living a more frugal lifestyle, and reading blogs like Mr. Money Mustache (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/) and the ever popular Zen Habits (http://zenhabits.net/). I got rid of junk. I developed a dream to live in a tiny house (maybe something like this: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/). I've contemplated joining the barefoot movement, homesteading, luddite-ism...pretty much any hippie thing you can think of.

It's almost like it has conditioned me to think outside the box since I started experimenting with plant-based diets. And you thought you would never see the word "conditioned" and "think outside the box" in one sentence...

And I really feel like it's just because of the chicken that was served to me the night of senior prom and how I thought, "You know what...this isn't fun anymore." And I didn't even really know WHY!

I guess all it takes is one thought that goes against the grain. And it was the best thought I ever had. T-H-I-N-K!!!!!

Stories? Thank you for your responses in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor diet stifles the consciousness. The better that the diet gets the more the mind and heart can perceive. Go raw (or closer to it) and the clarity can turn you into a very knowledgeable nature spirit... Get through the illusions that we were born into, taught and so many people live for. Good consumption is one the truest purposes that we can live for. It's a true form of caring etc. etc. etc. It's good to hear that you are on that journey and experiencing the things that you are. I so wish that more people were.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#3 Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Thanks, Enthios! It's so true. It's so awesome how it literally changed the way I think about the world. I've also noticed it made me more open to try new things, for obvious reasons. I just love it. I am contemplating trying raw veganism, at a later stage in my life. It's definitely on my to do list. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page