Need Advice, Please - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I was told another woman in our church was a vegan. Today, after church I asked her and she said, "Yes, not 100%, but she tries hard for her health." I then asked her if we could do a vegan meal at the church, to show how good it is, perhaps in October. She said November would probably be a better month for that, since Oct. is a busy month in our church. I then asked her if her family was on board with this, since I wasn't too keen on us 2 doing all the work (I think we'd be serving about 250 people). She said she didn't want to push too much, but they were accommodating, and that a third woman at our church was  also heading into veganism, too. We considered calling this dinner something like "The Kindness Meal" or "The Plant Based Dinner" because "vegan food is so weird":rolleyes: (sorry if my eyes were rolling too loudly for you).  My questions are, what would you serve to a group of at least 200 people that's vegan and tastes good (we kicked around enchiladas, and 3 sisters stew), and what would you call it so people wouldn't get worked up over not eating meat, eggs, and dairy? Thanks in advance, and if this is in the wrong place, admins and mods, please feel free to move. Thanks.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Banned

Don't advertise it as a vegan dinner, maybe just mention the food is plant based or vegetarian friendly.

Italian is easily identible to people and many dishes people will not 'miss' the animal products. It's also low cost and easy to prepare in bulk. Call it " Pasta Night" and serve spaghetti, lasagna, foccaccia, pasta salad, and fruit.
#3 Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Don't advertise it as a vegan dinner, maybe just mention the food is plant based or vegetarian friendly.

Italian is easily identible to people and many dishes people will not 'miss' the animal products. It's also low cost and easy to prepare in bulk. Call it " Pasta Night" and serve spaghetti, lasagna, foccaccia, pasta salad, and fruit.

I like this idea, I also like calling it "The Plant Based Dinner." yes.gif

Garlic bread and spaghetti with tomato sauce and veggies and salad is always super popular in my house, I think pretty much anyone would enjoy that kind of thing and not think it's a hippie vegan meal or something.

I also think enchiladas or anything else Mexican inspired would go over well, you can't go wrong with beans and rice and guacamole, etc.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Great suggestions - I quite like the idea of picking a theme (e.g. Italian) and just going with that but I guess it could be a big shame to miss the opportunity to let everyone think on the fact it's all vegan. I'm not sure about plant based - only because I think that's sometimes just as confusing/off-putting to some people as 'vegan' but that might just be me. The last time I told someone I only ate food from plants they asked me if I could eat vegetables so...yeah.

Anyway I'm not being very helpful but I just wanted to say good luck with it - I'm impressed. 

#5 Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM

OH and for another vegan friendly cuisine idea - Indian.

#6 Old 09-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

My favorite, and crowd easy, is a white bean stew with herbed dumplings!

Omni standards like the usual potato salad, cole slaw or carrot pineapple raisin salad with vegan mayo.

and this that I remembered from a Martha Stewart show:

http://www.marthastewart.com/921630/provencal-vegetable-tian

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Purp, one of my favourite Italian recipes is linguine aioli or pasta fagoli a lil bit goes along way smiley.gif good luck! <3
#8 Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a dessert-oriented person, so an easy vegan dessert would be fruit crisps. You can use disposable, large rectangular pans. Apple crisps are particularly nice during the fall months and are far less labor-intensive than pies/cobblers because there is no pie crust involved. I personally would avoid making vegan sheet cakes because (in my experience) most vegan cakes present a far more noticeable difference in texture and most people notice the difference. Your goal is to celebrate vegan food and not necessarily its distinct textural differences. If you're looking for something equally as easy, vegan cookies are a good idea too. (And then you don't have to peel apples).

I typically avoid making items with nuts due to various nut allergies. Also, I don't know if you have any gluten-intolerant people in your church, but apple crisps can be made gluten-free with the use of some oatmeal brands (check for those that are certified gluten-free since cross-contamination with wheat crops can be a problem); almond flour can also be used, but I avoid it due to the nut allergy reason.  

Aristede:chef:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#9 Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, thanks everyone. I'm hoping this really gets off the ground and everyone enjoys the food. :shifty:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, I actually think vegan or vegetarian sounds less weird! Call it 'Vegan Feastival' or something and make vegan food that people will associate with tasty! tongue3.gif

A vegan pudding after the main meal might be the icing on the cake for some people! How about apple pie, banoffe pie, treacle tarte or bakewell tart baked in little muffin pans?

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#11 Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 AM

You could also call it wholesome food dinner or something along the lines of health. I think it's a lot less antagonising than an ethical standpoint, but has a positive connotation that plant food dinner doesn't instinctively have to omnivores.

If you're afraid that your church members will want something meaty, opt for plenty of big, chewy mushrooms. Also, I find that people who don't like eating their vegetables are still less hostile towards mushrooms. I remember seeing a recipe for mushroom bourguignon somewhere around here, but cut down on the processed stuff.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#12 Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

"Autumn Leaves Harvest Feast"? An end of the agricultural year food festival to celebrate the bounty of crops - including grains, beans, nuts, fruits and vegetables - that were produced during the summer and autumn just gone.

I imagine that'd be a fairly easy one to 'sell' as an all vegan dinner to a church crowd without having to mention the v word; while if you include the word 'leaves' - or something similarly 'planty' - it indicates the veg theme.

I'd go for traditional US foods involving hearty and familiar 'harvesty' stuff that's easy to make in bulk, like Sweetcorn and Potato Chowder, Pumpkin and Black Bean Chilli, Cranberry and Pecan Rice Salad, Cornbread, Boston Baked Beans, Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Maple Sweet Potatoes, Cabbage and Nut Slaw, Apple Pie, Plum Cobbler

PS From Anna's Kitchen, by Anna Thomas has a whole heap of great USAey feasts for large groups, get it for 30 cents here:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Annas-Kitchen-Vegetarian-Penguin/dp/0140469613/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378198922&sr=8-2&keywords=from+annas+kitchen

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#13 Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Don't call it vegan because it's not. You mentioned that your friends are doing it for health so it's not "vegan" in spirit.

And don't call it wholesome because it may not be either!

I think 'Icken has the perfect phrase "Harvest Feast" - to me harvest is about this:

And I don't see any meat there and it's all whole foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post
I'd go for traditional US foods involving hearty and familiar 'harvesty' stuff that's easy to make in bulk, like Sweetcorn and Potato Chowder, Pumpkin and Black Bean Chilli, Cranberry and Pecan Rice Salad, Cornbread, Boston Baked Beans, Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Maple Sweet Potatoes, Cabbage and Nut Slaw, Apple Pie, Plum Cobbler

Genius!

'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.
#14 Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

And don't call it wholesome because it may not be either!

I think 'Icken has the perfect phrase "Harvest Feast" - to me harvest is about this:

And I don't see any meat there and it's all whole foods.

Genius!

And if anyone asks "Where's the meat?' it's easy to say "This is a simple feast in honour of the harvest."

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#15 Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yessss I'm so happy my favourite season is here .... apple crisp, toasted pumpkin seeds, apple cider donuts .... curried pumpkin dahl with vegan naan bread so much to look forward to Yum! Beautiful pictures! smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page