Best proteins for paleo vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 PM

I don't eat legumes or grains, what are my options for protein? I try and eat eggs and some nuts everyday, is there a particular nut that's super high in protein compared to fat? Is there a particular food I should be eating a lot of? I want to build muscle but at the moment I'm incredibly weak and skinny for a 5'9 male, who weighs about 150.

I can't eat meat and must remain paleo because, I suffer from some auto-immune diseases, and I've honestly never felt better then I do now as a paleo veg, so it's working for me. I just want more protein, and I'm trying to avoid supplements like pea powder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned

I'm not really sure what people consider "paleo" now......but must vegetables are high in protein (as a percent of calories) but they aren't calorie dense so you have to eat a lot of them. Nuts are so-so as for as protein goes and none of them are particularly high. There are, of course, seeds and root vegetables (potato, etc) and they both have similar protein content as nuts per calorie. Actually, potatoes

For vegan bodybuilding, legumes are pretty critical due to their low-fat content and high protein content. There are also one of the few plant foods that are high in lysine, an essential amino acid that most plants fall short on.

Being weak is one thing, but being 150 at 5' 9" isn't a problem. A man at that weight and height without much body fat (10~12%) would be pretty muscular.

I think you had a post on fasting, fasting for days is going to reduce your muscle mass. When fasting, your body will start to turn to your muscles for needed protein for critical organs. It will also break down muscle to create glucose for the brain.
#3 Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

kale, collards, spinach, chard.  nuts are higher in fat than protein.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Banned

Vegetables have a decent amount of protein per calorie, but they are such a low density food that you'd never be able to eat enough to get sufficient protein for body building.

Also, its not just the protein in the food but the amount you absorb. The absorption rates for vegetables is a lot lower than some other foods like legumes, legumes are on par with meat/eggs with a 90% absorption rate where as the absorption rate for cooked vegetables is around 50~60% (even worse for raw). And yet another issue is that the protein in vegetables tends to be poor quality in the sense that there are usually numerous limiting amino acids.

In any case, I'd be interested to see if anybody has built significant muscle mass on a vegan "paleo" style diet. On paper, it seems like it would be difficult to work out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page