Sauerkraut shelf life? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm hoping someone can help me. I've just purchased two massive jars of sauerkraut, not realising that on the back of the jar it says 'Keep in fridge after opening no longer than 48 hours'. I though that sauerkraut had quite a long shelf life? The ingredients are just 'white cabbage,water, salt' I'm wondering if there's a way I can prolong it, as no way can I get through an entire jar myself in 2 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM

That doesn't sound right. I keep sauerkraut in the fridge all the time for much longer than 2 days and mine has the same ingredients as yours. The only difference is the stuff I buy comes in a can.

#3 Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Now that's something i'd like to see sold in individual bags! I really only want it occasionally for a tempeh reuben-and when I want a reuben I want it BAD!

I just googled "can you freeze sauerkraut", and it seems it's fine!

Now that I want a reuben, imma gonna buy a bag and freeze sandwish size zipbags right away!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies, I might freeze it then. I just thought that might destroy the probiotics, but I guess it's better than wasting it!
#5 Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Oryzatarian

Storebought sauerkraut in jars has no probiotics to begin with, theyre killed so the kraut can be put in sealed jars and cans. But it does have prebiotics and those are not harmed by freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Now that's something i'd like to see sold in individual bags!

OMG laugh.gif

I was truly horrified when I saw pickles sold in individual bags and whats worse I've seen sauerkraut in plastic jars. When I'm old and crusty the young folk probably wont believe me that jars were once made of glass.

#6 Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

OMG laugh.gif

I was truly horrified when I saw pickles sold in individual bags and whats worse I've seen sauerkraut in plastic jars. When I'm old and crusty the young folk probably wont believe me that jars were once made of glass.

Okay, I feel shamed now!

But really- I only like the stuff on a sammich now and then!

My other idea is silken tofu sold in 4oz.- 4 to a pack containers like yogurts>Sometimes I just want 1/4 cup to sub for egg. Maybe I don't want a smoothie, or do something with the rest of the tofu. 
You could sell it as egg substitute.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 AM

life of a jar of sauerkraut

I have a question regarding the shelf life of sauerkraut in a sealed jar. I bought a jar of sauerkraut 3-3 1/2 yrs. ago and somehow it got pushed to the back of my cupboard and forgotten. How long can I keep it before it is no longer good to eat?
#8 Old 02-14-2015, 02:25 AM
just add raisins

As long as the seal is intact it'll be perfectly safe to eat. There's a slight possibility the texture and taste may not be at their best but my bet is that it'll be absolutely fine.
#9 Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 AM
Vegan as f**k

There should be a use by date stamped onto the jar somewhere?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page