Food safety! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Hi guys blush.gif
So I'm back to school! Sort of. Well, I'm doing a Masters. The last tertiary education I did was an honours degree in my own time ( thesis work ) and this next 18 months I have a fixed 9-5 schedule away from home again. Great! Loving it! But struggling with lunches because unlike work etc. there's no fridge and I'm not totally clear on what's okay and not okay to leave out of it.
I'm vegan ( barring honey and occasional eggs in baked goods but they don't sit well with me on own. Sad, because I like eggs and have no problem with them really. Yes, I know, 'that's not vegan' but you follow my drift.. ) so there's no dairy involved and no meat ( obviously ) .... thus I've been told ' as long as it isn't rice' it can be out all day. This seems a bit sketchy to me. Fake bacon in sandwiches? Vegan cheese? I don't know. Someone please enlighten me because it's the middle of winter and plain salad sandwiches aren't really doin' a sufficient job....

xx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Give peas a chance

Have you thought about an insulated lunch box/bag? I've got one with a changeable cold pack. As long as the box stays closed, the food stays cold. Mine is good for at least 8 hours. I haven't tried it beyond that, but I'm sure it lasts even longer.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#3 Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Oh! That's a brilliant idea!! Thankyou so much :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM

In the mean time ( whilst packing lunch for today )....is pumpkin soup okay..... for like 10 hours.... if it says 'refrigerate' but it's just pumpkins and other things.... ?

#5 Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Anything can breed bacteria and pathogens when it's not properly refrigerated. As a rule, it should be kept as cold as possible since bacteria breeds more rapidly in warm, moist places. Invest in the cold pack like Mojo suggested for optimal food safety. Never assume what is safe to leave out and what is not. A trip to the emergency room for an aggravated case of food poisoning isn't worth it. 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#6 Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Exactly.

I would avoid soups, smoothies and such liquids,

for food go for something more solid, avoid sauces.

I do use sandwiches sometimes, as much as i love vegan cheese i avoid it since it doesn't like heat, in winter i don't mind as much. Vegan bacon yes if it isn't moist but crispy. No sauce.

I worked in restauration so i don't even really think about it, it's more of a reflex.

Eggs are one of the worst things to take with you for example.

Energy wise, the arabs have some nice stuff like dryed dates and such ( go for quality ), a friend of mine was doing this funny think with some vegetables and fruits that she was just like mixing all together and drying in some special food dryer machine at home and she was making kinda small crispy pancakes with it that she could take anywhere and would last for days, when she was travelling in remote places. It was packing a punch in terms of energy.

There are also those sesame biscuits that are nice.

If you like spicy food, piment is not gonna make some nocive germs very happy.

But yeah for me if i have to be say 10 hours on the road, up to 4 days, its dried crispy stuff in sealed boxes in the shadows. If its hot, a wet sweater around the sealed box will keep it cool for a while, whereas the humidity doesn't affect the content of the box itself ( if you have your stuff in a backpack, the whole thing being in a plastic bag ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#7 Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Anything can breed bacteria and pathogens when it's not properly refrigerated. As a rule, it should be kept as cold as possible since bacteria breeds more rapidly in warm, moist places. Invest in the cold pack like Mojo suggested for optimal food safety. Never assume what is safe to leave out and what is not. A trip to the emergency room for an aggravated case of food poisoning isn't worth it. 

Yep. Although vegan food doesn't share some of the specific food safety concerns associated with undercooked meat or eggs, it still needs to be stored properly. Even cut up fruit and veggies is not ok to leave out more than 2 hours. Peanut butter and jelly would be ok with out a fridge, as would things like granola bars, breads, crackers or cookies, whole fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), shelf-stable individual hummus packs, etc, but those would probably get kind of boring after a while. If you have access to a microwave you could bring canned soups or shelf-stable microwave meals while you don't have an insulated lunch bag. You can double bag your lunch in paper bags and freeze some wet paper towels in a zip-top bag for a temporary fix, but I'm not sure that this would stay cold for more than a few hours and it sounds like you need longer.

Better to get an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack - it will infinitely expand your options, and you won't have to worry about eating sketchy food. 10 hours is a long time for a lunch bag even with an ice pack, so you probably want to make sure it's a heftier ice pack and that everything you put in the bag is fresh and well chilled. No leftovers that are already several days old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page