I'm looking for creamy sandwich spread recipe - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I've been seeing ads for an Arby's chicken salad sandwich with pecans and grapes. The basic idea sounds very appealing even if the chicken part is not appealing at all. Any good recipes for a creamy saladlike spread out there? Preferably vegan, but if anyone has a lacto recipe I'm pretty good at veganizing things so I can work with that.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Chickpea Salad: http://theveggieblackboard.com/post/50769544641/easy-healthy-vegan-chickpea-and-carrot-tuna-salad

Add seasoning to taste. Celery, relish, onions are nice additions. I use a mashed avocado instead of mayo.
#3 Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like you simply want a Waldorf Salad in bread. Dice it up smallish and mix with a simple dressing - just use vegan mayo and lemon juice for the dressing, or maybe 50/50 vegan mayo and vegan yoghurt. You could also add in chickpeas to the Waldorf Salad if you feel like you want a sub for the chicken that's included the shop bought sandwich.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I have a recipe for an old fashioned homemade Sandwich Spread - the same kind of stuff that Heinz Sandwich Spread is based on with chopped gherkins, mustard and celery in. From memory I think it's boiled and thickened with flour. I'll look for it if you're curious - though I have a feeling it may contain egg yolks. Essentially a home-made salad cream with crunchy bits in. It's appended to a newspaper cutting for another old fashioned relish recipe called Piccalilli do you get Piccalilli in the States? Not creamy at all but tangy and yellow from mustard.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Sounds like you simply want a Waldorf Salad in bread.

That's it! I never would have figured that out myself. I have this craving for something creamy + nuts + grapes on a sandwich, which is odd because I've never felt like that sort of thing before. And now I want it in a  sandwich with hummus.

Quote:
do you get Piccalilli in the States?

The word sounds familiar but I don't think I've ever seen it.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

I love waldorf salad!

For a sandwich I think I'd like the walnuts be mostly ground - maybe mixed with the mayo?

The first time I tried making vegan mayo I only had sweetened soymilk. It was the first time I felt I got my grandmothers waldorf dressing right!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page