commerically made veggie burgers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 AM

Ok so I dunno if it's just me but... I've discovered that I really like veggie burgers that are made to be veggie burgers (rice, corn, peppers, etc) but i really dislike soy-based veggie burgers that are made to look like brown beef burgers. i feel that they lack flavour and i'm really not sure why if you stopped eating meat you'd still want to eat something that resembled meat?

Mostly i've tried Yves veggie burgers and really like the 'garden burgers'. i LOVED their mushroom burgers but can't seem to find them anymore.

anyway i'm wondering what other people's takes are on these. and also if there's other brands you'd recommend??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndstar View Post
but i really dislike soy-based veggie burgers 

The original boca vegan burger is like that. Tastes like cardboard. But you need to try the boca chickn nuggets and patties. They taste exactly like cafeteria style chicken.....I like it.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Courage burgers I find are interesting. It has flavor, kind of a chickeny taste.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-18-2013, 03:26 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I like the gardein big burger a lot. I agree that I love bean burgers, grilled eggplant or potabella, etc more than the soy ones.
#5 Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Zelda Freak

Morningstar has some vegan grillers that don't taste like ground beef to me - though it's been something like 20 years since I had ground beef, so maybe I just don't remember it. I don't like to buy from Morningstar though because their parent company is a major GMO supporter.

I prefer homemade bean burgers to mock "beef" burgers. I haven't found anything as good as homemade bean burgers at the store.

That said, we have McMenamins Pubs here in PDX and they make the most awesome vegan burger ever - The Grateful Veg Burger which is a vegan hemp patty with the MOST amazing walnut-pomegranate dip on it. I'd like to recreate that at home somehow. It's not like a typical soy patty at all. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

If it tastes like meat, I'll eat it. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like it! I still crave it like crazy. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I think all the basic veggie burgers are good. I know they aren't good for me, but once in a while I want something that resembles a hamburger, both in texture and flavor. It's not the same, but close enough.

#7 Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

If it tastes like meat, I'll eat it. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like it! I still crave it like crazy. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I think all the basic veggie burgers are good. I know they aren't good for me, but once in a while I want something that resembles a hamburger, both in texture and flavor. It's not the same, but close enough.

Have you tried Gardeins burgers?

They've got the best texture of burgers that resemble meat. Great on the grill.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Have you tried Gardeins burgers?

They've got the best texture of burgers that resemble meat. Great on the grill.

I don't think I have...I'll have to look. Our kroger carries gardein products but I haven't seen the burgers, but I admittedly don't pay a lot of attention. I try to avoid that section usually because it's so darn expensive! LOL

#9 Old 05-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Usual price by me is $4.99 for a bag of 4.

Sometimes they have coupons, but the last time they had coupons AND a sale they were either bought out the whole week or it was a scam. My coupon expired before I could use my raincheck!

Want to pass on what's become my favorite "loaf" recipe. 

It doesn't have the pastiness of the bean and grain ones I've made. More of a meatloaf texture, and slices really well.

http://engine2diet.com/recipe/lynns-meatloaf/

I did up the spices a lot. I don't think I sauteed the onion or celery, just minced them fine.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

The only pre made veggie burger I like is the Trader Joe's Vegetable Masala Burger : http://www.traderjoesfan.com/component/mtree/products/frozen/vegetable_masala_burger/
Really good, easy on the grill, and no soy smiley.gif I serve them usually topped with grilled pineapple or sautéed mushrooms and onions, home made buns with some oven fries and fresh sweet corn = a great summer meal.

Here's a recipe to make them: http://www.dailygarnish.com/2011/01/homemade-vegetable-masala-burgers.html
#11 Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM

I don't like 'realistic' burgers but I can see why some people do. I like vegetable and bean burgers but I LOVE nut cutlets in place of a burger although I don't know if they're just a UK thing?!

#12 Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM

hmm that masala burger sounds awesome!

i've seen walnut burgers in the freezer section but i'm not a huge fan of walnuts so i haven't tried them.

#13 Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM

I'm also not a big fan of those mock/faux meat burgers and prefer the garden patty style burgers. One of the best, most delicious, and flavorful veggie burger options is LittleGreenFoods.com I love the basic veggie but they also offer black bean, mushroom and an Indian style Bollywood Burger. Never tried the flavored ones but they do look good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page