"How long will this keep" question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM

Hello, friends! hi.gif

I'm planning to make tofu "egg" salad for my lunchtime sandwiches for work.  I never liked egg sandwiches, but I'm hopeful I will like this! 

Anyway, I'm so exhausted during the week (see my lunch trouble post in transitioning to vegan to see why brood.gif ), I would like to make up the tofu egg salad mix on a Sunday night, ready for the week ahead.  My question is, would it keep for the whole week? As in the Sunday when I make it to Friday lunchtime? I'm planning to make the recipe from lunchbox bunch:

Tofu "Egg" Salad Sandwich
vegan, makes 4-5 sandwiches

18 ounces firm or extra firm tofu, squeezed dry with paper towel/diced into cubes
1/2 cup vegan mayo, aka Vegenaise
1/3 cup Dijon mustard (I like classic Grey Poupon)
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper - fine
1 tsp maple syrup
1 cup chopped scallions (add in a bit of celery for extra crunch - or your own fave veggies)
2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)

Directions: (easy)

1. Prep veggies, dry and cube your tofu - toss in large bowl.
2. combine/whisk dressing and add to large bowl.
3. Toss well. 
4. Chill until ready to serve!

I hope it was okay to post the recipe? I know I'm not to post links yet since I'm still a newbie, so I thought I would put up the recipe to see what people think of these specific ingredients and their keepiness! I'm fairly new to tofu, so I'm not really sure about all this stuff yet.  Any help will be much appreciated! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM

I would not keep it for a whole week. I think it is best to make it the night before (ideally the day of). I would not let it sit for more than three days in the fridge, and that is stretching it. If you really want it prepped that far in advance, I would say prep the dressing separately and put it in a clean sealed jar in the fridge and just have the tofu and veggies pre-cut and keep them separate in a sealed container.

#3 Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Ah okay! Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it :) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

So long as the tofu isn't out of date, I can't see any particular reason why it would go iffy after five nights in the fridge covered in mayo? Sounds OK to me.

If drained thoroughly the tofu shouldn't leech moisture into the dressing (which would probably make it separate)

Why not simply try it and see how it goes? If by the latter part of the week you decide you're not happy with the smell, taste or texture, throw the remainder and put it down to experience.

ETA: I should add that I often make up salads - albeit usually grain or pasta based salads - and keep them in the fridge for the best part of the week with no iffiyness or trouble. Soup too. Tofu mayo salad is a bit of an unknown quantity to me, but I'd definitely try it out and see.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 AM

Good to know! I'll try it and see how it goes.  Also, good info about salads, too...that would be very useful for me!

I made the egg salad and had it last week, and it was really nice but WOAH, far too much mustard! Much less mustard for me next time :D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page