Can you refreeze thawed tofu? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had tofu thawing in my fridge for a few days and now that it is thawed, I am regretting taking it out of the freezer because I have a ton of leftovers that I have to eat and I'm afraid that the tofu with go to waste...Can I just put it back in the freezer? Would I have to press it again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I read someplace that after defrosting it, tofu goes bad very quickly (in a day or so), so you may just want to trash it. On the other hand, if you think it still seems ok and dont mind risking it I would say repress it and stick it back in the freezer. For the future, try cutting the tofu into smaller blocks/pieces before freezing it so you only have to take out the amount you want.
#3 Old 04-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

How would I know if it is bad? This is only the second time that I have attempted to cook with tofu, so I don't know what it is supposed to be like...the tofu does have a smell, but the tofu that I ate last time had the same smell, and it didn't hurt me to eat it. I don't think that tofu had any smell when I took it out of the package...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I should mention that if the tofu is ok to eat, I am going to boil it in some broth and the let it marinade in the fridge...
#5 Old 04-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Boiled tofu?? I can't imagine it would have much flavour...

anywho..

Last week I took some tofu out of the freezer around Thursday and cooked it on Sunday and ate the leftovers through Thursday again with no ill results.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 04-11-2004, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know about the boiling either, but it was a recipe from Chef Deb...

I wish I would of had your response yesterday...I had it out and was going to cook it, but then I wasn't sure of the recipe that I was using or the tofu, so I gave in and threw it out.

I'm really not having much luck with cooking tofu...I'm thinking now that maybe I should just buy this herbed tofu because then I wouldn't have to worry about seasoning it or anything. I could just open it, press it and use it...
#7 Old 04-11-2004, 09:00 AM

It's never a good idea to re-freeze anything that's been thawed. You're just begging for bacteria to start multiplying.
#8 Old 04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

I don't know about the boiling either, but it was a recipe from Chef Deb...

I wish I would of had your response yesterday...I had it out and was going to cook it, but then I wasn't sure of the recipe that I was using or the tofu, so I gave in and threw it out.

I'm really not having much luck with cooking tofu...I'm thinking now that maybe I should just buy this herbed tofu because then I wouldn't have to worry about seasoning it or anything. I could just open it, press it and use it...

I agree wholeheartedly that you never refreeze anything! It can cause food poisoing.

Ms. Bunnicula, I notice that you are looking for some tofu ideas. Boiled as part of a soup (such as a hot and sour soup) is really good.

Something really simple to try that is good, is to get up a good pan of canola oil heating, and chop some firm tofu into small blocks -- a size that you would want to eat. Sprinkle the tofu with salt, turmeric, and dill. Fry up the tofu until it's a nice pleasant golden brown. Congrats, you have breakfast.

Edit: I forgot to mention, either add some minced onion -- dry or fresh (fresh is both cheaper and better tasting) when you're frying the tofu.

Froggy
#9 Old 04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Last weekend I took some sliced frozen/thawed tofu and pressed it really well, then marinated it for a few hours in some unchicken broth, pressed a little bit of that out, sprinkled a little premade teriyaki sauce on it and then browned it in a few tbsp of olive oil with a couple cloves of chopped garlic. (I then made a stirfry out of it adding broccoli, julliened carrots, sliced shiitake mushrooms and a can of mixed chinese stir fry veggies -- baby corn, bean sprouts, waterchestnuts, bamboo shoots. Used the unchicken broth marinade for moisture, cooked it for about 10 minutes and served it over brown rice. It was awesome!)

Tonight I'm making Teriyaki Tofu (as well as seitan/veg lo mein and sesame broccoli) for dinner. I just pressed a block of tofu (sliced first, of course) and have been marinating since last night in a teriyaki sauce like liquid which was made of garlic, lemon juice, tamari, sesame oil, ginger powder, and molasses. I'll let you know how that turns out. It gets browned in a little bit of veg oil.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 04-11-2004, 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=msbunnicula]I don't know about the boiling either, but it was a recipe from Chef Deb...

QUOTE]

That is a good recipe! I have made it on many occasions

and you can use it to make tofu chicken salad, tofu chicken

nuggets, buffalo tofu...

Good Stuff! You should try it out.

I also use the leftover broth for soup bases, very frugal.

Shannon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page