oat milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Anyone here ever made oat milk? I'm gonna give it a try, but the recipes I'm finding vary greatly in the ratios of oats to water. If anybody has tried making it I'd love to know the quantities you used. TIA.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

No I haven't, but bumping this anyway because I'd be interested to hear from those who do it too!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 AM
Riot Nrrrd

After a little more investigation I'm going to go with 1:4. I'm making up a pint later with 1/2 cup uncooked quick oats in 2 cups water later today to check out flavor drinking it straight and performance in some cooking/baking.  Later I'll try it with cooked oats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Results from the pint of oat milk I whipped up:

Method: I put 1/2 cup quick oats in 2 cups room temp water and blended on my blender's highest setting for 3-4 minutes, then poured through a fine metal mesh strainer.

Using as a drink: Not really usable this way. You'd need to strain with a coffee filter or something. WAY to much really fine sediments. You'd need to flavor it too - it's very watery tasting.

Using in biscuits: It worked fine, comparable to other milks.

Using in cake: Worked fine.

Using in vanilla cornstarch pudding: Worked fine, but gave the pudding a subtle oat flavor, which I didn't mind  - it was actually quite pleasant.

#5 Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the feedback, I'll order some coffee filters.

LadyJane1 likes this.

#6 Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Results from the pint of oat milk I whipped up:

Method: I put 1/2 cup quick oats in 2 cups room temp water and blended on my blender's highest setting for 3-4 minutes, then poured through a fine metal mesh strainer.

Using as a drink: Not really usable this way. You'd need to strain with a coffee filter or something. WAY to much really fine sediments. You'd need to flavor it too - it's very watery tasting.

That's the same measurement and process I use, and I agree with your evaluation. Too much fine sediment to be drinkable. Watery, and it seemed a little chalky to me. But that's just by itself. In a smoothie or in cereal, I can't really tell.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#7 Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

At Ohsheglows, the blogger uses 3 cups water to 1 cup oats to achieve a slightly creamier consistency. I think I'll try this ratio. Have muslin squares and coffee filters on my shopping list. As well as some cheap bottled spring water (softer and pleasanter than my tap water). Huge bag of organic oats waiting to go. I just hope that a hand blender in a jug will be sufficient to zuzz the oats up enouhg! I'm also tempted to add a little soya lecithin granules to see if the emulsifying effect will keep the oat milk from separating.

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/10/homemade-oat-milk-easy-fast-cheap/

#8 Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I think that unless I have a specific reason to use some other nondairy milk that I'll be using oat milk to bake  or cook with from now on. It's dead easy to make and costs half as much per ounce as the cheapest soymilk I could find. I'll still pick up (or make) almond milk for drinking, but for other uses oatmilk looks like the most economical choice.

I still have one test to run - ice cream. If homemade 'oat creamer' works out, I can use that instead of commercial soy creamer in the ice creams  that use that.

#9 Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

I make oat milk, but only to use for making yogurt (so far).  I usually use 1 cup of dry oatmeal to make 1 quart of milk.  I use a cloth handkerchief to strain it.

I like using it for yogurt because it's cheap and easy(ish :P) and it works as a great thickener.  However, i won't be using it by itself to make yogurt again (at least not in that concentrated amount) because it sets pretty firm (it kinda molded to the shape for the jar i used but with some soft Jell-O-like wiggling) but the texture was too watery, it's hard to describe.  But mixed with some more fat and/or protein (coconut milk and/or soy milk) i think it would be great.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#10 Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
the texture was too watery, it's hard to describe

I can totally understand what you're talking about. I tried different ratios of oat to water and different method of prepping the oats, and even though the resulting oat milk looked creamier with some ratios and methods it always TASTED watery no matter what it looked like. I guess it's just the nature of the stuff.

-----------

I made vanilla ice cream with oat milk yesterday. I'll post the details here after I eat dinner. smiley.gif

#11 Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Riot Nrrrd

A few years ago I picked up an oat milk ice cream at a store. It had an unpleasant aftertaste. When I started messing around with making oat milk last week I thought I'd see if I could do better. Apparently I can, because I did. It needs some refinement, but it turned out better than I expected for a first run.

The recipe I developed:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 water

1/2 cup quick oats

1/4 cup neutral tasting oil (canola is best)

2 Tablespoons corn syrup

1/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method:

1. Soak the 1/2 cup oats in 1 cup of the water for 1/2 hour-1 hour.

2. Put the oats and soaking liquid into a blender along with the remaining 1/2 cup water. Blend for a few minutes at high speed.

3. Strain the oatmilk into a bowl, using a fine mesh strainer.

4. Rinse out blender, cleaning out as much of any remaining oat pulp as you can.

5. Pour 1/2 cup of the oat milk back in the blender. Blend for 1/2 a minute to aerate it.

6. Pour in the oil. Blend for a couple minutes to mix.

7. Add the remaining oat milk, corn syrup, sugar, and vanilla extract.

8. Blend for several minutes.

9. Refrigerate the mixture for 4 or more hours.

10. Process in ice cream maker per its instructions.

Makes 1 pint.

This was tasty enough, but the texture was off. It was more like a sorbet than ice cream. For this initial trial I didn't use a thickener like arrowroot so I wasn't surprised by the odd texture. Next run I'll definatly use one, probably tapioca starch since I have it on hand.

#12 Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried making oat milk a few days ago and it came out really slimy! I don't know what I did wrong. I used steel cut oats. I rinsed them really well after soaking (apparently this is important to prevent sliminess), and I also strained the milk really well through a fine mesh strainer. Anyone know?

It wasn't a total waste. I used the leftover pulp to make oatmeal cookies. LOL

#13 Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Anyone know?

I'm stumped.  I've seen others talk about the slime but haven't experienced it myself. I've made batches with dry oats, cooked oats, and soaked oats. I never got slime.

I'm using Quaker quick oats. Maybe that's the difference.

#14 Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

I'm glad you were able to come up with something good with your first try at making an ice cream recipe!  Do you think you need a thickener when making things with oat milk (as long as you'll be heating it)?  Because when i heat the oat milk to sterilize it for yogurt making it gets pretty thick, it feels like i'm making pudding.  But maybe another type of thickener would help with the texture but getting rid of some of that "wateriness".

I wonder if some people are just more sensitive to the sliminess.  The main reason i don't like oatmeal is because of the slime, for lack of a better word (slime sounds too negative but there is something about that texture i just don't like).  That's one of the reasons i haven't tried drinking my oat milk.  When i strain the milk it feels creamy and slick, and i'm not sure it that's good or not, haha, but it feels like it does good things for my hands.  Oh yeah, i don't just make oat milk for yogurt, i also make some for my hair and skin.

#15 Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought some oat milk so I can compare sliminess. LOL I've never had it before so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

#16 Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 AM

No I haven't ! :p
But I'm happy you were able to come up with something good with your first recipe to make an ice cream :)

[mod edit: spam link removed]

#17 Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

I just bought some oat milk so I can compare sliminess. LOL I've never had it before so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

So what's the verdict?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page